• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2014 IRB Junior World Championship – New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugby roo

Peter Burge (5)
Any team sheet for Aus 20s team for tonights game,.If they perform well technically, against that Barbarian side geez anything is possible in NZ!.

rugby roo

Peter Burge (5)
Barbarians at the gate of Chatswood Oval! Its more like Christians to the Lions after reviewing the Baa Baas forwards!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Our lads need to come up against some hard nose, tough as an Army boot teams, that are capable of knocking rock stars off their perch to be well prepared for Jnr RWC.

The Saffers and the 6 Nations squads are tough as teak with many of their players currently performing well in top level open age teams. Many of them have been locked up in academies since they left school (many in such during their school years as well).

It has been said that you learn more from a loss than a victory, and in recent years we have been doing too much learning during the Jnr RWC itself, on the back of a loss in pool play.

Much better to get a loss under our belt before we go overseas, when there is time to analyse what went wrong and get it right before the tournament starts.

T

tranquility

Jeez can't commend this trial enough. That is a very strong looking Barbarians side, and will certainly be a massive test. If the 20s can get up over them, they are in very good areas for the tournament itself.

Doofus

Peter Burge (5)
Australian Barbarians
1. Mike Ala'alatoa (West Harbour)
2. Billy Johnston (Eastern Suburbs)
3. Dave Lolohea (West Harbour)
4. Jed Holloway (Southern Districts)
5. Saia Toleafoa (Penrith)
6. James Cunningham (Northern Suburbs)​
7. Jack McCalman (Sydney University)
8. Tala Gray (Eastern Suburbs)
9. Terry Preston (Gordon)
10. Harry Bennett (Eastwood)
11. Sireli Tagicakibau (Warringah)
12. Tom Matthews (Gordon)
13. Jerome McKenzie (Penrith)
14. Taqele Naiyaravoro (Parramatta)
15. David Feltscheer (Warringah)
Replacements:
16. Clay Brodie (Eastern Suburbs)
17. Nigel Vaifale (Penrith)
18. Kevin McNamara (Northern Suburbs)
19. Seilala Lam (Eastern Suburbs)
20. Maguire Tatola (West Harbour)
21. Tim Donlan (Randwick)
22. Michael Ruthven (Scone)
23. Ben Adams (Warringah)
24. Kyosuke Kajikawa (Eastern Suburbs)
Australian Under 20s
1. Rory O’Connor (NSW)
2. Tevita Vea (NSW)
3. Allan Ala'alatoa (ACT)
4. Ross Haylett-Petty (WA)
5. Matt Philip (NSW)
6. Sean McMahon (captain, VIC)
7. Michael Gunn (QLD)
8. Sam Croke (NSW)
9. Angus Pulver (NSW)
10. David Horwitz (NSW)
11. Brad Lacy (WA)
12. Jimmy Stewart (NSW)
13. Lalakai Foketi (VIC)
14. Conrad Quick
15. Jonny Vaux (NSW)
Replacements:
16. Feliti Kaitu’u (QLD)
17. Cameron Orr (NSW)
18. Tom Robertson (NSW)
19. Lolo Fakaosilea (QLD)
20. Rowan Perry (ACT)
21. Joe Powell (ACT)
22. Jake McIntyre (QLD)
23. Andrew Kellaway (NSW)

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Totally agree about putting the U/20's up against some gnarly veterans from club footy. It's a great test for them and probably sorts out who can handle the tough stuff before the tournament starts.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Last Chance Saloon for Coaching team to sort out who's who in the Zoo before NZ. Doesn't necessarily mean that this is his "go to" team for the tough games, just that he wants to see how this team (and bench) combinations go.

That said, good luck to the lads.

Uncle Lee will be there with camera and notebook in hand, and sometime in the wee small hours we can expect to see a high quality and well crafted match report on the Blog front page.

T

tranquility

I would be very surprised if Michael doesn't front up and make a very good account of himself tonight.
Good luck boys!!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
33-10 to the u20s at HT.

The Barbarians probably didn't even have a training session together however they're still seasoned 1st graders.

I'm starting to like our chances at this tournament.

rugby roo

Peter Burge (5)
Thats a pretty handy 4,5,6,7,8 for Aus 20s right there with Perry, Dempsey and Staniforth (if the latter twoare fit &well) also available!!
Lets hope there is some nice dry paddocks in NZ .
This mob is a "real team" well drilled and well coached.They are capable of anything!
Go u little wallabies!

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
33-10 to the u20s at HT.

The Barbarians probably didn't even have a training session together however they're still seasoned 1st graders.

I'm starting to like our chances at this tournament.

I had to read this twice to be sure. After looking at the team list I expected the score to be the opposite. I was genuinely fearful that the U-20's would be crushed. It bodes very well for the junior WC.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I said early in this thread I feeling good and looking forward to watching it.
The first reference I've seen to it being televised was on the Manly website (yeah I read it) i think it can be promoted a little better.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The Baas had some good club players and some Waratahs but you could see that they had never played together before, and probably had their first training run before the game.

The U20s were good in the first half but lost structure in the second, though they piled on a few points.

Unfortunately Johnny Vaux broke his leg tonight: possibly both tibia and fibula.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thats a pretty handy 4,5,6,7,8 for Aus 20s right there with Perry, Dempsey and Staniforth (if the latter twoare fit &well) also available!!
Lets hope there is some nice dry paddocks in NZ .
This mob is a "real team" well drilled and well coached.They are capable of anything!
Go u little wallabies!

Staniforth is still hobbling in a moon boot and on crutches but there doesn't seen to be anybody added to the squad to cover for him.

Dempsey is running OK but hasn't played in the two Sydney games, so he may lose any precedence he earned from last year to Perry, who is a cracking openside flanker in hot form.

Vaux broke his leg tonight, as mentioned, and Lacey got a shoulder niggle and was replaced.

Better news is that Placid told me he is recovered from his glute strain (and is showing no effects) and Foketi, who had to retire on Saturday night, was able to start.

T

tranquility

Staniforth is still hobbling in a moon boot and on crutches but there doesn't seen to be anybody added to the squad to cover for him.

Dempsey is running OK but hasn't played in the two Sydney games, so he may lose any precedence he earned from last year to Perry, who is a cracking openside flanker in hot form.

Vaux broke his leg tonight, as mentioned, and Lacey got a shoulder niggle and was replaced.

Better news is that Placid told me he is recovered from his glute strain (and is showing no effects) and Foketi, who had to retire on Saturday night, was able to start.

Cheers Lee, I am getting very excited about all this. Perry is from Lismore of all places.

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Cheers Lee, I am getting very excited about all this. Perry is from Lismore of all places.
Alstonville I think mate, and been at Tuggeranong Vikings in Canberra the last few years. Grew up playing all of his junior footy with Jake Mcintyre. I'm sure its an amazing feeling for both boys rising through all the ranks together. Add to this Sam Croke from Lennox Head, and its not a bad advertisement for Far North Coast Rugby as a breeding ground!

T

tranquility

Not at all! Its bloody interesting because I can't imagine the comp is all that good out there, and it is also league heartland. I have a feeling ex Wallaby David Codey lives out that way, I wonder if he is doing some coaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.