• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2014 IRB Junior World Championship – New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugby roo

Peter Burge (5)
What a good result for the 20s. Absolute tragedy for the injured fullback on the eve of a world championship . Lets wish him all the bestfor a full recovery.
I have friends up North Coast way and say that Mcintyre, Perry and Croke have been standouts for a while and now maturing solidly at higher levels.Apparently some others that are very good as well coming through.i like how this team has been put together and how you can mix the starting 15 up without missing a beat.
coaches, scouts, trainers etc take a bow for now.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Alstonville I think mate, and been at Tuggeranong Vikings in Canberra the last few years. Grew up playing all of his junior footy with Jake Mcintyre. I'm sure its an amazing feeling for both boys rising through all the ranks together. Add to this Sam Croke from Lennox Head, and its not a bad advertisement for Far North Coast Rugby as a breeding ground!

Here's a photo of Far North boys from both sides.
Country Lads 4.JPG

Jake McIntyre, Jed Holloway, Billy Johnston, Rowan Perry, Sam Croke.

Attachments

• Country Lads 3.JPG
    Country Lads 3.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 396

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Here's a photo of Far North boys from both sides.
View attachment 4807
Jake McIntyre, Jed Holloway, Billy Johnstone, Rowan Perry, Sam Croke.

How good is that! Also from my knowledge some handy footy players getting around from that area include Ben Johnston and Jack Pinchin who trained with Brumbies fulltime in preseason, and Alex Gibbon at Southern Districts who is with Aus 7s now. Also Ben Coridas who has played a lot of Shute Shield and was with Reds for a while.

rugby roo

Peter Burge (5)
But wait theres more. My friends tell me there is another North Coaster in Lachie Creagh .plays with Croke at Norths and is in contention for Aus 7s selection.
They obviously do more than surf up there!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Also next generation from FNC includes Frankie Calugay, and Joey Fittock. Both have crossed the border to the north to finish Year 12 in the QLD system, after representing NSW Schools at U16 level in 2012. They will be in U18 competition this year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
My mail is that the backline for the first game is:

9. Powell, 10. McIntyre, 11. Lacey, 12. Stewart, 13. Foketi, 14. Kellaway, 15. Placid. (I'm not sure who is on what wing).

I think the Aussies will play their best team in the first two games, and if that is so, the backline is what I wrote in the blog, except that I thought Pulver would be the scrumhalf.

I don't know who the forwards are but supposing that Staniforth is fit and Dempsey is deemed not fit, or at least not match fit, my pack would be.

1.O'Connor, 2. Scoble, 3. Ala'alatoa, 4. Staniforth, 5. Philip, 6. McMahon, 7. Perry, 8. Haylett-Petty.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Here's the announced Ireland squad for the U20 RWC.

Ireland U-20 squad: Max Abbott, Rory Burke, David Busby, Ross Byrne, Denis Coulson, William Dardis, Diarmaid Dee, Dylan Donnellan, Peter Dooley, Ryan Foley, Ciaran Gaffney, Stephen Gardiner, Dan Goggin, Cian Kelleher, John Madigan, Nick McCarthy, Mickey McKeon, Darragh Moloney, Rory Moloney, Ross Molony, Sean O'Brien, Jack O'Donoghue, Garry Ringrose, Peter Robb, Frank Taggart, Peadar Timmins, Craig Trenier, Alex Wootton.

There's one change to the announced squad. Unfortunately for Ireland it's a major one. Captain Sean O'Brien has been ruled out with injury. He's replaced in the squad by Oisin Heffernan and O'Donoghue takes over as captain.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Here's the announced Ireland squad for the U20 RWC.

Ireland U-20 squad: Max Abbott, Rory Burke, David Busby, Ross Byrne, Denis Coulson, William Dardis, Diarmaid Dee, Dylan Donnellan, Peter Dooley, Ryan Foley, Ciaran Gaffney, Stephen Gardiner, Dan Goggin, Cian Kelleher, John Madigan, Nick McCarthy, Mickey McKeon, Darragh Moloney, Rory Moloney, Ross Molony, Sean O'Brien, Jack O'Donoghue, Garry Ringrose, Peter Robb, Frank Taggart, Peadar Timmins, Craig Trenier, Alex Wootton.
Since when it is fair for the Irish to play a 27-year old at an U-20s tournament ;)

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Since when it is fair for the Irish to play a 27-year old at an U-20s tournament ;)

It's going to be fun in a few years if he breaks into the Ireland squad and plays alongside his namesake at test level. On his U-20 promise that's likely but not everyone who shines at U-20 goes on to make it at pro level.

It's a pity he's injured as the experience would have stood him in good stead.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Team named:

1. Rory O’Connor
2. Harry Scoble
3. Allan Ala'alatoa
4. Matt Philip
5. Jack Payne
6. Sean McMahon (c)
7. Rowan Perry
8. Ross Haylett-Petty
9. Joe Powell
10. Jake McIntyre
11. Andrew Kellaway
12. Jimmy Stewart
13. Lalakai Foketi
14. Brad Lacey
15. Jonah Placid

Reserves:
16. Alifeleti Kaitu’u
17. Cameron Orr
18. Tom Robertson
19. Sam Croke
20. Jack Dempsey
21. Angus Pulver
22. David Horwitz
23. Luke Burton

No Staniforth - hope it's not too bad

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Team named:

1. Rory O’Connor
2. Harry Scoble
3. Allan Ala'alatoa
4. Matt Philip
5. Jack Payne
6. Sean McMahon (c)
7. Rowan Perry
8. Ross Haylett-Petty
9. Joe Powell
10. Jake McIntyre
11. Andrew Kellaway
12. Jimmy Stewart
13. Lalakai Foketi
14. Brad Lacey
15. Jonah Placid

Reserves:
16. Alifeleti Kaitu’u
17. Cameron Orr
18. Tom Robertson
19. Sam Croke
20. Jack Dempsey
21. Angus Pulver
22. David Horwitz
23. Luke Burton

No Staniforth - hope it's not too bad

For Horwitz and Burton to be benched (Burton having played very well at Super level) the starters must be playing awesome rugby. Losing Staniforth is a huge blow, but given our potential I hope he's back before the finals.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Stewart is just as well credentialed as Horwitz and a year older.
He was an Oz Schoolboy for 2 years,and played 1st grade in a stronger club in his first year out of School.
He can play a more direct game than Horwitz,which is probably what you need in an arm wrestle.

T

tranquility

Very interested in this match, although I don't think I will get a chance to watch it live. Like the sound of Jim Stewart, sounds like a big no-nonsense sort of player with a bit of guile. Our backline looks good, so I hope our pack can bully those blokes in green.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm a bit conflicted on the Aus U-20s this year. It's great to see some optimism about the place for the U-20 team and it seems they've been prepared very well. I hope they have a good tournament. It shows what a little focus and organisation can do in a short time.

Where the conflict comes in is that the IRFU made the unbelievable decision to appoint Nuci as our performance director. I'm still hoping that it's a very long play at an April Fools.

Status
Not open for further replies.