• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2014 IRB Junior World Championship – New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I thought our forwards individually were very good but I remember how they were outplayed by Ireland (in the pool game) in team attributes—not just set pieces, but in a lot of aspects of play where forwards had to act together.

The Irish weren't bigger or tougher or individually-better, just more pack-oriented. The many little cuts they gave weakened the Aussie performance and they beat us with a modest team.

I didn't question the coaching of the Oz team because it was obvious that the Ireland lads had a history of playing tight rugby and what they did was of second nature to them.

Our style of open rugby owes much to our harder grounds and benign weather, but we have to get those tight-play attributes into our young forwards earlier.

The Irish tighthead would have barely made triple figures in weight. I thought we got rorted on a few scrum calls. Pretty sure that a couple of times he was driven off the ground and our loosehead got pinged for angling in. The Irish locks were very good value.

Definitely our biggest issue was the lack of combinations and match fitness. There were a couple of times in the first half where the Irish outside backs ran riot. We were in it right up until then end though. Just like against New Zealand.

Regarding Ross Haylett-Petty- I reckon he should play 6. He's played in the backrow a bit for the Force 'A'. He'd be good there. With our first game being against Argentina, we need a bruiser in the backrow.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I've never seen him play but I saw him at training yesterday. He's a big unit and looks ugly enough.

The same for Jack Payne, who is not listed as a lock.

Staniforth won't be playing in the two warm-up games, most likely, so it will be interesting to see a contest for his eventual partner in big games.

Matt Philip will have the inside running. He is a lineout sergeant and an obvious leader-type.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So I'm watching Pat Sio play against Uni atm and he's running over the top of a Uni pack. Puzzling.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Oz U20s beat NSW Country 53-5 tonight at Chatswood Oval.

It was a good hit out and they looked sharp and extremely fit.

Foketi was injured and had to retire but didn't look too bad; however Placid limped off with some ailment which looked more serious.

T

tranquility

Oz U20s beat NSW Country 53-5 tonight at Chatswood Oval.

It was a good hit out and they looked sharp and extremely fit.

Foketi was injured and had to retire but didn't look too bad; however Placid limped off with some ailment which looked more serious.

Anymore to report Lee? Or did everyone look good in a display that lopsided?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
There will be a blog up when you wake up.

The score was distorted when the U20s scored three quick tries at the end when their superior fitness came through (21 points). But Country had some good moments.

Incidentally Michael Gunn has been in camp and was on the reserves bench. No doubt he is covering for Jack Dempsey who is crocked.

How badly? You always get the answer that "Hell be right" He's running OK though.

Tom Staniforth was in a moon boot (ankle). Naturally he'd said he will be right when I asked him.

Placid looked very dusty when he limped off. I asked Head Coach Thompson about him after the game and he said: "He's OK."

Sure.

Damn the guys looked fit in the game and their defence in their own 22, and especially near their goal line, was punishing. And their line speed was exemplary.

Doofus

Peter Burge (5)
For the digital record 24 May 2014:

Australian Under 20s
1. Cameron Orr; 2. Harry Scoble; 3. Tom Robertson; 4. Matt Philip (C); 5. Jack Payne; 6. Lolo Fakaosilea; 7. Rowan Perry; 8. Ross Haylett – Petty; 9. Angus Pulver; 10. Jake McIntyre; 11. Andrew Kellaway; 12. Jimmy Stewart; 13. Lalakai Foketi (VC); 14. Jonny Vaux; 15. Jonah Placid
Bench: 16. David Vea; 17. Rory O’Connor; 18. Alifeliti Kaitu’u; 19. Sam Croke; 20. Michael Gunn; 21. Joe Powell; 22. David Horwitz; 23. Brad Lacey
GrainCorp NSW Country Cockatoos
1. Chris Plunkett; 2. Peter Nau; 3. Amoni Vea; 4. Lachlan McCutcheon; 5. Dan Ryan; 6. Paulie Tuala; 7. Josh Stewart; 8. Gavin Holder; 9. Adam McCormack; 10. Ben Greentree; 11. Eli Sinoti; 12. Lee Russell; 13. Filsoni Pauta; 14. Andre Itula; 15. Donovan Nepia
Bench: 16. Steve Lamont; 17. Ryan Jackson; 18. Mitch Hardy; 19. Joe Taylor; 20 Auvasa Falealli; 21. Andrew Barrett; 22. Scott Burgess; 23.Mark Minter

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
A great image gallery from Keith McInnes as always.

The next game it tomorrow night for a 6:30pm kick off against the Australian Barbarians. Again this is the Gold coin donation entry so come on down to Chatswood Oval for some awesome footy.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
To the best of my limited knowledge the Aust Barbars have played twice this year.

Team List from the First Game vs Reds A back in Feb.
Is this what you were looking for?

capture-png.4410

I'd imagine that we would be seeing most of these lads in the rebadged ARC at the end of the year.
The NSW Colts Under 20s are playing Aus Barbarians at 4.30 pm at the David Phillips field in Daceyville on Friday 7th March.
<snip>
Uncle Lee may have a team list from this (^^^) warm up match.

If the Aust Barbars are true to the Barbarian concept, it will be a completely different team to that which played in the NSW U20's warmup above, and the Reds A warm up back in Feb, but this should give an idea of the standard of the players likely to be chosen for the Aust Barbars.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I have that old list somewhere but it won't mean much.

They''ll be hard-nosed Sydney senior club men with the odd ringer from out of state is my guess.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Come to Chatswood Oval tonight at 6.30 and see The Aus U-20s test themselves against the Australian BaaBaas, featuring some of the best the Shute Shield has to offer including Parramatta Two Blues 120kg wrecking Ball and new Waratahs recruit Taqele Naiyaravoro.

Attachments

• Taqele.png
    Taqele.png
    374.9 KB · Views: 281

FTS

Billy Sheehan (19)
Very decent Barbarians side, I think this will be a much sterner test to see where the Aus 20s are at before the JWC. No denying the preparation this season has been unbelievably better than previous years, great to see them playing decent trial games.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There are some damn fine players in the Barbars side.

Interesting selection of Jack McCalman from Sydney Uni. 1st year out of school and 2013 Aust Schoolboy Captain. Was in NSW 2014 Under 20 team for the national tournament.

I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't been nominated as a Under 20's shadow player for injury cover for the Tournament, and given a gig here just to see how he performs against the Touring party.

Status
Not open for further replies.