• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
On attack, he got some balls that were either shovelling the pressure, or created a half break that saw him without the support, he didn't play badly relatively, but he was one of many with poor games.

On D, it was quite obvious he hadn't played much there. 13 is the lynchpin in defence, has to make the right decisions, marshal the troops in alignment, cover both tiht and out wide etc. It's a technically difficult position to play, especially against sides with fairly good attacks. Rebels with Ellison compared to Rebels without Ellison and all that.

It's not a failure, but not really a success either. Wouldn't be surprised if he's benched for the game against us in favour of DP & CM in the centers.

thanks

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Junior Springbok team to face Australia Under-20 in Calvisano is:
<snip>
There are some massive creatures there Boet, and I'm sure that many of the names will become very familiar to rugby watches outside the Republic in the next couple of years.

Are they in Provincial academies or do they spend most of their time playing club footy?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There are some massive creatures there Boet, and I'm sure that many of the names will become very familiar to rugby watches outside the Republic in the next couple of years.

du Plessis, van Zyl, Vermeulen, Liebenberg, du Toit, van der Merwe, du Preez, van Wyk...

They're already familiar names! ;)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pretty funny that the coaches thought this was our best preparation.
Straight from Kellaway and Thompson's mouth.
I am assuming that Kellaway and Thompson stated that this was this was our best preparation, not that they thought the preparation process was pretty funny.

I am interested why you think it was pretty funny, and what could we do better procedurally within reasonable financial constraints.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Because we got smashed. They're completely deluded. I commented after the Japan result it was our worst u20s side ever and yet here we are after getting beaten by 30 points by the side that probably won't win it.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Weren't they talking about preparation rather than the actual team?

It was the whole thing, they did mention preparation mainly but Kellaway also thought this was the best team we've had and our best chance of winning it.

FWIW, I thought last year's side was our best team ever in terms of results, I thought we were the 2nd best team there (only beaten by eventual winners England) and played some great rugby. So for Kellaway to be apart of that team and then then comment how strong this one was it was quite humerous considering we all saw this result coming. I also think SA aren't as good as last year too.

rugrambler

Frank Row (1)
The 20's players ( at least in Brisbane ) are protected and pampered (not their choice ) for half the Premier season. If it looks like Men vs Boys as it did yesterday then perhaps the powers that be should allow the 20's players to be playing against Men ( Premier ) instead of being kept in cotton wool. I am sure the SA players are playing tough Rugby for the whole season preparing for this Tournament.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Because we got smashed. They're completely deluded. I commented after the Japan result it was our worst u20s side ever and yet here we are after getting beaten by 30 points by the side that probably won't win it.
And where are we going to magically going to get a better side from? Silk Purse, Pigs Ear.

Keyboard selectors are always going to differ with the actual Selectors. There would be nothing to talk about in the rugby club otherwise. What club are the 19 year old 18 stone 7 foot behemoths that, have been playing rugby since the under 8's and didn't make the team, playing for that? If these lads existed they would certainly add some starch to our scrum, and would have been among the first on the plane to Italy. Several first choice players were in Team Rehab, but that is a fact of life and luck in sport.

When we got touched up by the Darkness at Oceania Tournament, the writing was on the wall that we would not win the tournament. The best outcome would be if we were able to somehow jag a spot in the Final, but realistically a good outcome would be to make the Semi-finals and set up a good pool position for 2016.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
One selection policy I would have is not pick anyone who plays colts. Only pick players who have been playing grade for at least a year.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Undoubtedly the preparation leading up to the selection of the squad was a massive improvement on past efforts.
It's still too early to judge their performance IMO.
They won two games with a bonus point that they were supposed to,and lost heavily to a side that most expected they would lose.
From a distance some selections/non selections have been puzzling.
Let's see how the rest of the tournament pans out.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
One selection policy I would have is not pick anyone who plays colts. Only pick players who have been playing grade for at least a year.

Played Grade (not necessarily 1st Grade) for at least a year:
1.Cameron Orr
6.Brad Wilkin - has played club, NRC and Aust 7s contracted Pro this year
7.Michael Gunn
8.Adam Korczyk
9.James Tuttle - has played some club and a little NRC. Contracted to Reds this year.
11.Andrew Kellaway (C)
15.Jonah Placid
16.Fereti Saaga
19.Riley Winter
20.Sam Croke
22.James Dalgleish

Playing Grade this year
3.Matt Sandell
4.Ned Hanigan (some grade games last year)
10.Andrew Deegan (some grade games last year)
12.Duncan Paia’aua- only a few club games. Contracted to Reds this year from Bronco's U20 (Colts)
23.Campbell Magnay - Contracted to Reds this year, has played bugger all club, but has a season of NRC under his belt.
14.Tyson Davis

Fail
2.Folau Fainga'a
5.Lukhan Lealaiauloto-Tui
18.Tyrel Lomax
21.Harry Nucifora
13.Sione Tuipoloutu

Unknown
17.Connal McInerney

I might have got one or more of these wrong, but we would not have much of a team if playing Grade for at least 1 year was an essential pre-requisite for selection.

Edit: List amended by input from @Rugby Reg

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Unknown
6.Brad Wilkin - Aust 7s contracted Pro this year
9.James Tuttle - Contracted to Reds this year
12.Duncan Paia’aua- Contracted to Reds this year

Magnay has played bugger all club, but has a season of NRC under his belt.

Wilkin has played club and NRC (and 7s).

Tuttle has played some club and a little NRC.

Duncan P only a few club games.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think our biggest problem this year is in the tight five.

Our front row is nowhere near the force of the one last year, particularly Alan Ala'alatoa.

Our best lock this year (Ned Hanigan) would prefer to be playing 6 so we're already undersized there. Lukhan is huge but lacks experience. He's probably had a pretty good tournament on the whole so far though.

If South Africa had our backs this morning, the score might have been even nastier. I thought our backs did pretty well to create opportunities given how much pressure they were under and the quality of ball they had to work with.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

Are they in Provincial academies or do they spend most of their time playing club footy?
They all follow the high road via academies of their provinces. In the past the Bulls dominated the team till Pollard slipped through WP's net. Then WP realise they had to do something and the WP lot came through the same academy as the Smith twins playing for the Rebels. In fact in my hometown you get three rugby academies which is very rare in rugby. WP, Maties and a private one.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I am a bit fortunate knowing Dawie Theron. His biggest asset as a coach in youth rugby is that he know how to get the most out of his players. He coach a small province like Griquas wuith success and really did a good job in spotting talented young players and developing them. He'll go as far as going to the u13 Craven Week to watch the kids and spotting young talent. SA have a very good structure and the SA Schools tournament vs England/France/Italy/Wales is his starting point. Then we have the CC u19 competition and just before this tournament we played Argentina in a couple of matches. Think the 6 Nation countries have the perfect model of preparing young players with their awesome 6 Nation u20 competition. Wish Sanzar will copy this model. They waiste a lot of money in the stupid S18 competion and missed out in developing young talent.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
If South Africa had our backs this morning, the score might have been even nastier. I thought our backs did pretty well to create opportunities given how much pressure they were under and the quality of ball they had to work with.
I see many support are downing our backs. Myself think they played not that bad, they dont have to because our forwrads dominate the collisions. I can promise you however that the midfield players and specially the 15 is real qaulity players. Dont know the others that well. If you can leave out a Kalahari boer like Rikus Bothma out of your match 23 , then you sure must have some heavy attillery. Jac Vermeulen (first try scorer) is only now back from injury.

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Magnay has played bugger all club, but has a season of NRC under his belt.

Wilkin has played club and NRC (and 7s).

Tuttle has played some club and a little NRC.

Duncan P only a few club games.
Dalglish has played a year of first grade and some nrc

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thomas du Toit in his schoolboy days two years ago.
51ec3748dd305773ffb84446.jpg

http://www.rugby365.com/article/55461-captain-s-profile-thomas-du-toit

He also slipped through WP's net.

Status
Not open for further replies.