• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Game has opened up a bit. Aussies now with ball in the attacking zone putting phases together, but they spill it and give the ball back to NZ.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Aus with possession and win a penalty in the attacking 22.

But on AR advice Lomax gets a YC for a dangerous tackle. Penalty reversed!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Lackadaisical clearance from Maddock gets charged down ... NZ pounce and a crossfield kick by Perefita to Emerson nets the try

Converted

30-10 at 77 mins

And that is the FT score. A fair reflection of the difference. The gold halves really struggled.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez they stand and run alike to zer0!
Thought maybe aussie a little unlucky with the yellow card, and with the abilty to go upstairs or see replay ref could of possibly said Lomax had actually grabbed the other player around shoulders and may not of been a neck roll. The AR probably was right to call it because it looked like one on first viewing.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Youngest of the five boys, IIRC. He and Beauden also look disturbingly alike.

They're not from the Southern Hawkes Bay/ Northern Wairarapa so it' can't really be THAT disturbing :)

Lackadaisical clearance from Maddock gets charged down ... NZ pounce and a crossfield kick by Perefita to Emerson nets the try

Converted

30-10 at 77 mins

And that is the FT score. A fair reflection of the difference. The gold halves really struggled.

Thanks for the updates. Better luck on Saturday, maybe.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Not the best outing for the boys.

You'd hope with 3 more days in Camp before Saturday, the cohesion would get there. Tuttle, Tui and Mafi will be big ins to that side for the Tourny itself though, so definitely not bad so far.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Thanks for the updates. Better luck on Saturday, maybe.
Lackadaisical updates really. Only knew a few players' names and wasn't bothered about doing homework to find them out.

But hopefully the Aussies can retune a few things before Saturday.:)

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not the best outing for the boys.

You'd hope with 3 more days in Camp before Saturday, the cohesion would get there. Tuttle, Tui and Mafi will be big ins to that side for the Tourny itself though, so definitely not bad so far.

Plus what is likely the first choice centre pairing will hopefully be released by the Rebels and Reds respectively, as well.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
First thoughts.

Soroni put in one of the worst No 9 performances I've ever witnessed. Slow to the breakdown, and his passing is totally sub-standard.

Even allowing for the exceptionally poor service, Mason was ineffectual at 10. Why do we always seem to favour 10s who essentially stand and pass without offering any threat to the defensive line. A young McIntyre it looks to me (although I do believe McIntyre is now improving).

The YC was just plain wrong. Both arms under the arm pits of the Black player. Why would the touchie on the very far side have to run on and make the report?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Plus what is likely the first choice centre pairing will hopefully be released by the Rebels and Reds respectively, as well.

Sione (Tuipulotu) came off the bench, I think flying to and back from Aukland with the Rebs would be why he didn't start, but he might get his shot on Saturday.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
First thoughts.

Soroni put in one of the worst No 9 performances I've ever witnessed. Slow to the breakdown, and his passing is totally sub-standard.

Even allowing for the exceptionally poor service, Mason was ineffectual at 10. Why do we always seem to favour 10s who essentially stand and pass without offering any threat to the defensive line. A young McIntyre it looks to me (although I do believe McIntyre is now improving).

The YC was just plain wrong. Both arms under the arm pits of the Black player. Why would the touchie on the very far side have to run on and make the report?
In Mason's defense I think did well with the ball he got, centers were ineffectual and not much more on the wings, the back line was very flat and the NZ defense were on them before they could move. The ball needs to move a lot quicker. Angus Scott Young played well and got more penetration than any of the centers.

Simon.

Bob Loudon (25)
Interesting how much that was like pretty much any Super Rugby game between an Aussie and Kiwi team. And indeed like most Tests.

Aussies hammering away at the line and not really getting anywhere, showing heart but lacking in skills, until the inevitable mistake results in a turnover, some slick Kiwi hands and often a try. The entire Kiwi system is built around the counterattack, and our style of play (overcommitting at the breakdown to secure the ball) seems to play right into it.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Interesting how much that was like pretty much any Super Rugby game between an Aussie and Kiwi team. And indeed like most Tests.

Aussies hammering away at the line and not really getting anywhere, showing heart but lacking in skills, until the inevitable mistake results in a turnover, some slick Kiwi hands and often a try. The entire Kiwi system is built around the counterattack, and our style of play (overcommitting at the breakdown to secure the ball) seems to play right into it.

Yeah, I agree. Can't work out whether it's we just don't have good enough athletes play rugby as a sport in Australia, or we just get coached to play a different game with a poorer skill set from a young age. Either way, I don't know why I'm always expecting Australia to catch NZ. Maybe a win here and there, but in general, I can't see much changing.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
The second bloke in the tackle is the biggest difference between the two defensive systems. The NZ 2nd in hits with more venom than the first.

Aussie absolutely ripped off with the card, it was a text book gator roll and not around the neck, the ref was there and should of over ruled his touchie, they were climbing back into the game at that point.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
As I said I though YC was unlucky, but I don't think the ref or touchie did much wrong, the ref wasn't in a position to see, and from where touchie was it probably looked very much like a neck roll, only after a couple of replays did I really see it looked like Lomax had arms under armpits, and refs didn't have any replay facilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.