• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
(Doesn't alter the fact he got it wrong. As you say he was 3/4 of the width of the field away, and from that distance he should have not got involved imo. )

Sorry Brumby can't agree, if he saw what he thought was an infringement whether it a forward pass,or foul play he has to let ref know!!
Christ at most games of rugby I have attended so called experts in the crowd can pick up things from 100m away, and sometimes with a beer to their lips:p

Yep - and that's about the standard of most of the touchies going round as well.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
On Sorovi - his passing was just inaccurate most of the time. Put the team under a whole lot of pressure. Even if he was a little out of form, I'd expect him to be able to pass the ball with some amount of accuracy; not at the receiver's feet, or over his head or behind his back.

The conditions might have played a part, but they were the same for NZ and I'd expect they wouldn't have a lot more experience under lights with a dewy ball.

Mason at 10 played with a distinct lack of imagination. Surely there is better somewhere in the U20s sides. What about Jooste? Signed full time contract I believe with the Brumbies and had a lot of hype about him when he left WA. I've only seen him in Brumbies' trials where the opposition and standard of play is quite a bit tougher than U20s level.

Does anybody else get the impression that since Aus rugby has been concentrating on set piece play over the past couple of years, the standard elsewhere seems to be slipping? We have very few forwards able to bust up the middle, or even take the ball while running at the defense. And we have very few backs who use deception in breaking up defenses. As far as I can see, these are problems pervading our rugby at all levels atm.

T

TOCC

Mason at 10 played with a distinct lack of imagination. Surely there is better somewhere in the U20s sides. What about Jooste? Signed full time contract I believe with the Brumbies and had a lot of hype about him when he left WA. I've only seen him in Brumbies' trials where the opposition and standard of play is quite a bit tougher than U20s level.

Whether he signed a full time contract is irrelevant, he wasn't the best 5/8 in the U20's tournament and that's reflected in the selection of this team.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Whether he signed a full time contract is irrelevant, he wasn't the best 5/8 in the U20's tournament and that's reflected in the selection of this team.
Agreed, I think Mason was the standout 5/8 of the u20 comp. The ball he received on Tues did not showcase his talent seen in the u20 state comp and that goes for the rest of the back line as well.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The old Aussie Rugby chestnut - Players chosen on Schoolboy rugby reputation. Poor performance by former rock stars is excused as a bad day at the office, whereas bolters have to continue to produce world beating form to get any recognition.
One mistake by them is taken as evidence to confirm the prejudice against them, that they deserved being overlooked during their schoolboy days, and that mistake is just an indicator of their true "worth".

Get on the bandwagon. What would the selectors know?

Gareth Wasik

Frank Row (1)
Hi all - we got close to 15,000 (individual IP's) watching Live which are better than expected given the Super Rugby trials we did were about 3000 and the Super 20s final was 3500. This included viewers from AU, NZ, SA, ENG and US.

On another note, I reckon if they swapped Maddocks and Mason around, it could work,as Maddocks will eventually be a natural 10. Would of liked to see Australia play a bit more direct off the back of the breakdown as the defence of the all blacks was outward up (Umbrella), and gave the wide runners no momentum, and isolated them far to many times for the Kiwi Looseys? thoughts?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Agreed, I think Mason was the standout 5/8 of the u20 comp. The ball he received on Tues did not showcase his talent seen in the u20 state comp and that goes for the rest of the back line as well.

Mason and Tuttle were certainly a fine combo for the Qld U20s against NSW U20s in Sydney at the start of the Super Rugby U20 comp.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Unfortunately Lee, NZ U20s are a huge step up from Gen Blue. That's the only game I can recall seeing him play (admittedly) but on that performance I think Mason will continue to struggle at the international level, essentially because his style provides no challenge at all to a backline of the strength we saw earlier this week. Saturday should throw some more light on this topic.

T

TOCC

Unfortunately Lee, NZ U20s are a huge step up from Gen Blue. That's the only game I can recall seeing him play (admittedly) but on that performance I think Mason will continue to struggle at the international level, essentially because his style provides no challenge at all to a backline of the strength we saw earlier this week. Saturday should throw some more light on this topic.

You've seen him play in one game...

Johns

Stan Wickham (3)
9. Tuttle
10. Mason
12. Tuipulotou
13. Magnay
15. Maddocks

That back line core there is quite strong for the WC, especially if you get Hutchinson on a wing. Let those guys have a run together. Mason didn't get a lot of help on Tuesday, unfair to criticise him.

Whether the breakdown is strong enough is the question.

If you haven't got a power game in the back row you need great breakdown skills. I didn't see either of these on Tuesday which was the concern.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That back line core there is quite strong for the WC, especially if you get Hutchinson on a wing. Let those guys have a run together. Mason didn't get a lot of help on Tuesday, unfair to criticise him.

I wonder if Hutchison will be available for this tournament?

It's a couple of weeks after the London 7s which is the last leg of the tour.

The Olympics is a month and a half after the final.

I tend to think he won't be released because he's so important to the 7s squad and missing three weeks of the 2 month build up they have before the Olympics might be considered too much.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
How long is Izaia Perese out for? He will still qualify next year I think as will Hutchison.

T

TOCC

Yeah i don't think he will be released, and to be fair i don't think he should be either. As long as he is been considered for the Olympic squad then he shouldn't be involved in the U20's, it will disrupt his training and there is also the obvious injury risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.