• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
You've seen him play in one game.

He can't be very good though because he doesn't play for the Brumbies. Number of games seen is irrelevant.

I am upfront about having seen him play once, and on that outing he looked like McIntyre Mk II. I also acknowledged the No 9 had a terrible game which impacted the rest of the backline, and suggested Saturday's game might clarify things a bit about Mason.

My question essentially is asking if there are others that ought to be considered, maybe Jooste. But then I forgot that Gen Blue actually won the U20s competition, so if someone misses out only a NSW player can be considered as replacement. Silly me.

I see someone else mentioned Maddocks as a possibility to play No 10. On their respective showings last game, if he is familiar with the No 10 spot, he would probably go quite a bit better than Mason did.

We shall see come Saturday, and if Mason shows he is up to the standard required to be competitive with NZ, then I will be glad to eat my words.

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
My question essentially is asking if there are others that ought to be considered, maybe Jooste. But then I forgot that Gen Blue actually won the U20s competition, so if someone misses out only a NSW player can be considered as replacement. Silly me.

FTFY
"But then I forgot that Qld actually won the U20s competition, so if someone misses out only a Qld player can be considered as replacement. Silly me."

T

TOCC

I am upfront about having seen him play once, and on that outing he looked like McIntyre Mk II. I also acknowledged the No 9 had a terrible game which impacted the rest of the backline, and suggested Saturday's game might clarify things a bit about Mason.

Gen Blue didn't win the U20s competition, Reds U20's did... The same competition where Mason outperformed Jooste.

Other forumers on here like LG and HJ have watched most games and have been writing reports on these players since they were 15, I place greater value in their opinion then that of someone who has watched one game.

Anyway, it wouldn't be an Internet forum without the armchair experts.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
FTFY
"But then I forgot that Qld actually won the U20s competition, so if someone misses out only a Qld player can be considered as replacement. Silly me."

Gen Blue didn't win the U20s competition, Reds U20's did. The same competition where Mason outperformed Jooste.

A bit of sarcasm of mine. Sorry it was lost on you. I am well aware that the Qld U20s actually won the competition, if not the acceptance of many Gen Blue fans on here.

I will give the topic a rest now, and wait to see how it all pans out on the weekend.

Itsadundeel

Frank Row (1)
Hey boys, I know a few of the VIC boys personally, and I just don't believe there is an inherit hatred of New Zealand as there should be in this squad. Nothing irks me more watching these boys laugh and hug straight after the game, when they should be focused on improving and beat these bloody kiwis. these kids, there's about 8 in the team, still regard themselves as kiwis, so how do we think we're ever going to beat them with this attitude

Gareth Wasik

Frank Row (1)
I think you'll find this is a closer game as its at 4pm. The ball handling will be better from both teams. I still think the Aussie side needs to play more direct though, rather than wider as it will be easier to consolidate the breakdown against a very good NZ back row.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
BMW Australia U20s v New Zealand U20s:
1. Faalelei Sione
2. Joshua Taylor
3. Tyrel Lomax
4. Izack Rodda
5. Ryan McCauley
6. Angus Scott-Young
7. Liam Wright
8. Maclean Jones (C)
9. Angus Fowler
10. Mack Mason
11. Joey Fittock
12. Sione Tuipulotu
13. Liam Jurd
14. Simon Kennewell
15. Jack Maddocks
Reserves
16. Richie Asiata kelemete
17. Vunipola Fifita
18. Shambeckler Vui
19. Rob Leota
20. Harley Fox
21. Moses Sorovi
22. Nick Jooste
23. Ah-mu Tuimalealiifano

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good to see some players return from Long Term Injuries - Rodda and Kennewell.

Hopefully we will see some more physicality from the piggies, and more of a contest for the ball at tackle, ruck and maul time. Set Piece looks OK although lineout accuracy is still a bit of a concern, even more so if we lose Taylor to an injury.

Who is our backup lineout chucker?

What is the status of Mafi? Is he injured?

Both teams struggled with lineout accuracy on Tuesday night, although ours was less inaccurate than The Darkness.

Would like to see the bench get a little more time than they got on Tuesday. Some of those dropped deserve a chance to either confirm or deny whether their performances were a one off or not.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
What is the status of Mafi? Is he injured?

There was something in the local paper (which I can't find on-line) about him going in for minor surgery (on shoulder I think), but they found it was worse than first thought, so he is out for a while (season?)

Seymour Butz

Larry Dwyer (12)
There was something in the local paper (which I can't find on-line) about him going in for minor surgery (on shoulder I think), but they found it was worse than first thought, so he is out for a while (season?)

Out for 3-4 months I heard on the grape vine.

No idea who is in the shadow squad, but when Moore broke his ankle last week, they brought in QLD prop, Richie Asiata, as the replacement hooker.

Suspect most injury replacements will come from boys in Queensland as the coaching staff know their backgrounds well.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That would explain his absence from the team. The #2 jumper for the Junior Wobs seems to be as cursed as the #10 jumper was for the NSW U20s.
Mafi and Moore in Team Rehab. Uelese not even in the 23 for game 2.
Around the country, the U20 hookers will be busy checking that their passports are still valid.

Uncle Joe

Herbert Moran (7)
A bit of sarcasm of mine. Sorry it was lost on you. I am well aware that the Qld U20s actually won the competition, if not the acceptance of many Gen Blue fans on here.

I will give the topic a rest now, and wait to see how it all pans out on the weekend.

you might get to see Jooste after all on Saturday. No JJH though, might be injured might be rested.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Out for 3-4 months I heard on the grape vine.

No idea who is in the shadow squad, but when Moore broke his ankle last week, they brought in QLD prop, Richie Asiata, as the replacement hooker.

Suspect most injury replacements will come from boys in Queensland as the coaching staff know their backgrounds well.

I think Uelese was one of the Shadow squad rakes, because he appeared on the Team list for Tuesday night, after the withdrawal of Mafi and Moore.

He has either joined Team Rehab or melted back into the shadows. Other Hookers in contention for shadow would most likely be Tai (ACT), Horton (NSW), Craig (NSW), Toro Reedy (WA), and none of them really stood out screaming "pick me" during the Curtain Raiser Cup games that I saw.

The bulk of the replacements will come from QLD because they were fairly comprehensive winners of the Curtain Raiser Cup.

I would hope that the National Selectors are beyond petty interstate politics. The selection of a rather large contingent from Vic suggests that they may have eyes on form rather than colour of the jumper they wore in the Curtain Raiser Cup.

I am also told that the Selectors were fairly closely monitoring the S&C data from all 5 "academies" during the preseason, as well as poring over the tapes from the actual games. I also believe that Tim Rapp from NSW was one of the selectors, so we can put any anti-NSW bias to bed.

Put simply most of the Gen Blue lads played crap, were tapped on the shoulder by the Team Rehab Selectors, or were locked away in the Sevens programme.

The current crop of Banjolanders in this age cohort are pretty good and deserve most of the accolades they are getting. It wasn't just the QLD players who played like deer in the headlights on Tuesday night.

Johns

Stan Wickham (3)
I think Uelese was one of the Shadow squad rakes, because he appeared on the Team list for Tuesday night, after the withdrawal of Mafi and Moore.

He has either joined Team Rehab or melted back into the shadows. Other Hookers in contention for shadow would most likely be Tai (ACT), Horton (NSW), Craig (NSW), Toro Reedy (WA), and none of them really stood out screaming "pick me" during the Curtain Raiser Cup games that I saw.

The bulk of the replacements will come from QLD because they were fairly comprehensive winners of the Curtain Raiser Cup.

I would hope that the National Selectors are beyond petty interstate politics. The selection of a rather large contingent from Vic suggests that they may have eyes on form rather than colour of the jumper they wore in the Curtain Raiser Cup.

I am also told that the Selectors were fairly closely monitoring the S&C data from all 5 "academies" during the preseason, as well as poring over the tapes from the actual games. I also believe that Tim Rapp from NSW was one of the selectors, so we can put any anti-NSW bias to bed.

Put simply most of the Gen Blue lads played crap, were tapped on the shoulder by the Team Rehab Selectors, or were locked away in the Sevens programme.

The current crop of Banjolanders in this age cohort are pretty good and deserve most of the accolades they are getting. It wasn't just the QLD players who played like deer in the headlights on Tuesday night.

Have to agree on NSW. I was astounded how poor they looked in the Super comp.

McCauley and Maddocks rightfully got their spots but I can't think of any others who can cry foul from NSW.

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
Even though they were poor they did come 2nd ;) Add Kennewell, girdler, moore and fifita and now Malloy - its not that bad. Porter and O'Shea would have been strong contenders but for injury.

NSW will be strong in 2017. I am going to start some crowdfunding to send them all to a training bootcamp in South Africa where they will be eating raw meat and wrestling wild animals or maybe just poach Brad Thorn. Watch out Qld.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
About 1/2 the Gen Blue team will be back in 2017.

They will be much better after a season of Senior Rugby under their belts. But that is for the 2017 version of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.