• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I suspect the New Zealand team have spent more time together as a training and playing group.

I saw about 30 minutes, spasmodically, we just did not get enough troops to the breakdowns.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
As I said I though YC was unlucky, but I don't think the ref or touchie did much wrong, the ref wasn't in a position to see, and from where touchie was it probably looked very much like a neck roll, only after a couple of replays did I really see it looked like Lomax had arms under armpits, and refs didn't have any replay facilities.

Doesn't alter the fact he got it wrong. As you say he was 3/4 of the width of the field away, and from that distance he should have not got involved imo.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Geez they stand and run alike to zer0!

Saw him for the first time on CGW the other night, so have never seen him play, but that sounds like a decent starting point. Especially if he has similar top-end pace?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Looks to have pace to burn and has good line-breaking ability also. On top of that, he kicks goals. Early days, but looks to be future ABs to me.

GPS Fantastic

Frank Nicholson (4)
I missed the game unfortunately, What's it going to take for this team to beat, or come close to, the NZ boys on Saturday??

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
(Doesn't alter the fact he got it wrong. As you say he was 3/4 of the width of the field away, and from that distance he should have not got involved imo. )

Sorry Brumby can't agree, if he saw what he thought was an infringement whether it a forward pass,or foul play he has to let ref know!!
Christ at most games of rugby I have attended so called experts in the crowd can pick up things from 100m away, and sometimes with a beer to their lips:p

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I missed the game unfortunately, What's it going to take for this team to beat, or come close to, the NZ boys on Saturday??
They are going to need to forget about the game being played on the 100m X 50m field (as rugby players that have got this far and the skills box is ticked) and concentrate on the game that is played on the 8 inches between the ears. Confidence, camaraderie, awareness, vision and the belief that they can win. And oh yeah, a few more big blokes on the bench.

GPS Fantastic

Frank Nicholson (4)
^^^^agree with you! it's as much about what's going on in their heads and their connection as a team, because they all have the ability, and no team is unbeatable - hopefully the coach is on the same wavelength as you!!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Plenty of scope for improvement.

They played like NSW U20 did, despite having very few Gen Blue folk in the squad. That is not a compliment.

The Oz Coach didn't seem to have much faith in his bench, because apart from a possible injury replacement in the fatty department at 1/2 time, the majority of the bench seemed to get very limited game time.

If we don't get our experienced Super Rugby players (& Hutch) and those in Team Rehab back for Manchester, we may blow a golden chance to take advantage of what appears to be a weak pool to advance to the SF (& beyond).

The NZL mob always looked in control, even without the Lomax card.

Here's hoping that our young men can turn in an improved performance at the Office on Saturday.

P.S.
Note to the players. Please stop breaking the NSW players. We don't have too many in the squad, & they're the best we have to contribute, having done some damage to our own playing stocks during the Curtain Raiser Cup pre-season. :)

RR2014

Bob McCowan (2)
I travelled down and watched the game last night and yes all your comments are pretty much on the ball. My question is if there are better players on the bench why didn't they start (namely Sione)? If the 9's are the best running around in U20's we are big trouble. I know Tuttle is with the Reds but surely the NSW 9 was better then those 2 last night, and isn't a player who played U20 Rebels at 15 a 9 as well. That guy Coward was the best in the competition and not even in the 28 I heard??? Everyone talks about size but the Chiefs 15 is not huge and see how he plays, so size is not all that matters (it helps) but skill, vision and speed will soon make a big guy look silly. Go Aussie U20's on Saturday I will be there to cheer you on.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Tuttle is clearly going to be a very important player for this side. That's not a bad thing in general, it's probably a good thing in fact given how well he's being rated, particularly by the QRU, who made him captain of Queensland Country and prefer him over Gale for the reserve halfback spot at the Reds, which spells future Wallaby.

The fact that he's so far ahead of his contemporaries (particularly if the rest of them are below average, which if Sorovi is the best of the rest, they clearly are) is only bad for the JRWC itself.

Otherwise, having at least 5 best XV players (Tuttle, Magnay, Mafi, Tui and Tuipulotu) still to come into the starting lineup is good for the tourney itself. Is Harry Hutchison a chance of playing as well? There certainly wouldn't be many age Grade teams that would be performing at their best without 5 or so of their strongest side.

We'd certainly go from a middle teir side to a bottom tier side if you took out Fagerson, Cummings, Ritchie, Hastings and Kinghorn, even as good as a couple of the other boys are.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I rated Harry Nucifora above Serovi during the state champs. He has the experience of touring with the Aus u20 but is currently out with a foot injury. His ball delivery and speed to the breakdown is far better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Before we get too carried away with how tough life is due to coulda woulda shoulda if X and y and z were available, Injuries and Super Rugby seconded players are nothing new and the The Darkness will most likely have some of their "Top Notch" players not at Bond University as well.

I think that NZL may have had less preparation for this tournament than we have had. AFAIK our young men have been in Camp since 26 April, on the back of the Curtain Raiser Cup which saw players focusing on U20 selection from as early as October last year.

The limited Intel we have on The Darkness is that they had an U19 tournament last year between ITM Cup teams, followed up with two X one week long camps. Hardly ideal team preparation, yet they seemed to be the more composed side in yesterday's fixture.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is it possible Sorovi had a bad night?

He's been starting a fair bit of Premier Grade over the last few years. Probably played more PRemier Rugby than Tuttle in fact. And with one of the leading clubs.

girtbysea

Ted Fahey (11)
Angus Fowler was the starting 9 for Brothers Prem grade for the whole of 2015 and had a number of bench runs the previous year as a 17yr old. He played 10 minutes last night so hold back on any judgement. He can play, Brothers do not tend to just hand out the jerseys. Let's reserve a little judgement till deeper into this series on most of them in this squad (particularly the backs from last night) I thought the piggies were overall pretty good.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah, it could be, Reg.

And one thing was being under lights with the dew. I'd guess most club games would be in daylight on dry decks.

It's possibly really the Supe and the odd midweek NRC game that players can learn about night footy in pressure game situations.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Bit worried it may be another year outside the top 4, or quietly confident that once a few quality lads come back in they'll right the ship?

I don't think they have the cattle this year; nor did they last year - 5th was a fine result in 2015 for the people they had.

They need more ball-running bruisers who can also stop ball-running bruisers; and guys who can counter-ruck with dominance, and stop the same.

We saw the lack of such people in the game against the Bok U20s last year when it was men against boys, and the blindside flanker and no. 8 of the SAffers did as much in that department as the props and locks.

Going by last night we have backrowers who look for the skilful contribution, because it's how our juniors play, whereas the Bokke loosies will look for power dominance, including gaining a position over the ball, in every match as their main occupation.

The inclusion of Lukhan T will make some difference to our grunt, but he was there last year also.

Nor do we have a lot of rainmakers in the backs: players that arrest the attention of defenders. Who, from last night, did the Kiwis make a point of having to stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.