• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2016 Under-20 Rugby World Championships - Manchester UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
No playing twice, no byes. Just play each in your pool once. Then quarter finals, or get 4 more teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Playing only two teams in your pool and playing them twice would be a bizarre tournament.

It would also take longer to play those pool games than the entire tournament runs for right now.

The current tournament runs for 19 days and involves playing a game every 4 days in the pool round and 5 days in the playoffs.

Not suggesting playing twice, play them once, then quarter finals

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
But odd numbers of teams in the pool necessitates byes. The group stage isn't any shorter, you need another week for the quarter finals, and the teams outside the top 8 get one less game than they currently do. Sounds like a massive waste of time to me.

The way it works now is that you top your pool, you are into the finals. Another team gets lucky and gets to play there.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Any sort of bye is nonsense. Worst bit of the World Cup. Need to campaign for a slightly longer tournament and expanding to 16 teams if you genuinely think you're hard done by the system.[/

No not suggesting hard done by, as it looks like two other teams will be in the same position; just not an ideal situation where a number of teams have won 2 games each, but get excluded. Needs looking at. I'm sure whilst the experience is great for Japan, Italy & Georgia getting beaten well 2 times or three times, no real point to it. Seed the teams into 4 or increase the numbers to 16. 12 doesn't work in 3's.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
So Australia needs to beat England with a 4 try bonus point and deny England a bonus point to make the semi-finals. Will be a tough ask.

Especially the way England thrashed Scotland 44-0. So much for the form in 6N Under 20s when the young Poms won only one game - against Italy.

There are some different players in their team now, sure, but it was a remarkable turnaround and they were back to their bullying best.

It just goes to show how useful international games in a real tournament are as a selection tool compared to what we had here.

I had a sneaky feeling that we had a better team this year - especially upfront but it looks like about the same middling standard.

There may be a few future Wallabies in our squad but I'm scratching my head about what their names are; however I'd warrant that there are more future internationals in the England and Ireland U20 teams.

Dazzling

Frank Nicholson (4)
Weather forecast for the AJ Bell is rain for most of the afternoon and early evening. Not ideal given how badly we seemed to handle a bit of wet in the first half against Italy.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
NZ v Wales, 0230 tomorrow AEST.

New Zealand: Shaun Stevenson, Caleb Makene, Patelesio Tomkinson, Jordie Barrett, Jordan Trainor, TJ Va'a, Sam Nock, Marino Mikaele-Tu'u, Mitchell Jacobson, Fin Hoeta, Hamish Dalzell, Quinten Strange, Sosefo Kautai, Leni Apisai (c), Ayden Johnstone. Reserves: Asafo Aumua, Sean Paranihi, Alex Fidow, Isaia Walker-Leawere, Luke Jacobson, Jonathan Taumateine, Stephen Perofeta, Jonah Lowe.

BP win should be (just) enough for NZ to go through as best runner-up.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The way results have been going so far, I wouldn't take anything for granted @Waiopehu OB.

Saffers are also in a good space to deliver a BP win as well.

Once again the contest for the 4th spot is as tight as a fishes bum.

Moan all you like about the 3 pool structure, but the bottom line is that to be in with the best chance of winning the U20 RWC, you have to keep on winning games.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Best thing about the midweek games is that they're all on the main channels and hence recordable.

FS2:
12.10am Argentina v Japan
2.25am New Zealand v Wales
4.35am England v Australia

FS5
12.10am Scotland v Italy
2.25am Ireland v Georgia
4.35am South Africa v France

If results fall the way we expect, the finals should be:

1-4
England v New Zealand
Argentina v Ireland

5-8
South Africa v Wales
Scotland v Australia

9-12
France v Japan
Georgia v Italy

based on a combined table of roughly

1. England 14
2/3. Argentina 13
2/3. Ireland 13

4. New Zealand 11
5. South Africa 11
6. Scotland 8

7. Australia 7
8. Wales 6
9. France 5

10/11. Georgia 1
10/11 Italy 1
12. Japan 0

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Best thing about the midweek games is that they're all on the main channels and hence recordable.

FS2:
12.10am Argentina v Japan
2.25am New Zealand v Wales
4.35am England v Australia

FS5
12.10am Scotland v Italy
2.25am Ireland v Georgia
4.35am South Africa v France

If results fall the way we expect, the finals should be:

1-4
England v New Zealand
Argentina v Ireland

5-8
South Africa v Wales
Scotland v Australia

9-12
France v Japan
Georgia v Italy

based on a combined table of

1. England 14
2/3. Argentina 13
2/3. Ireland 13

4. New Zealand 11
5. South Africa 11
6. Scotland 8

7. Australia 7
8. Wales 6
9. France 5

10/11. Georgia 1
10/11 Italy 1
12. Japan 0

Thanks for the hard work - now all I have to do is find all those games in the guide

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Australia U20s side to play England:
  1. Vunipola Fifita – NSW Gen Blue U20s, Randwick
  2. Jordan Uelese – Melbourne Rebels U20s, Melbourne University
  3. Tyrel Lomax – Brumbies Colts U20s, Tuggeranong Vikings
  4. Ryan McCauley – NSW Gen Blue U20s, Eastern Suburbs
  5. Lukhan Tui – Queensland U20s, Brothers
  6. Angus Scott-Young – Queensland U20s, University of Queensland
  7. Ikapote Tupai – Melbourne U20s, Melbourne Unicorns
  8. Maclean Jones – Queensland U20s, University of Queensland
  9. James Tuttle – Queensland U20s, GPS
  10. Mack Mason – Queensland U20s, Easts Tigers
  11. Liam McNamara – Queensland U20s, Sunnybank
  12. Sione Tuipulotu - Melbourne Rebels, Southern Districts Pirates
  13. Liam Jurd – Queensland U20s, University of Queensland
  14. Simon Kennewell – NSW Gen Blue U20s, Randwick
  15. Jack Maddocks – NSW Gen Blue U20s, Eastern Suburbs
    Reserves
  16. Josh Taylor – Queensland U20s, Bond University
  17. Richie Asiata – Queensland U20s, Easts Tigers
  18. Shambeckler Vui – Western Force U20s, University of Western Australia
  19. Izack Rodda – Queensland U20s, Easts
  20. Rob Leota – Melbourne Rebels U20s, Melbourne University
  21. Harry Nucifora – Queensland U20s, Bond University
  22. Liam Wright – Queensland U20s, Easts
  23. Jordan Jackson-Hope – Brumbies Colts U20s, Tuggeranong Vikings

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Thought Jurd looked quite good when he came on against Italy. I'd think Jooste probably got dropped on form.

Good to see Lukan Tui in the starting side - unfortunate for Rodda who has been playing good but McCauley also earns his spot.

Would have preferred Rob Leota at 8 as the stronger runner and harder defender.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Thought Jurd looked quite good when he came on against Italy. I'd think Jooste probably got dropped on form.

Good to see Lukan Tui in the starting side - unfortunate for Rodda who has been playing good but McCauley also earns his spot.

Would have preferred Rob Leota at 8 as the stronger runner and harder defender.

I agree with Leota. Would prefer Jones at flanker and bring on Scott Young as an impact player; say at the 50-60 min mark to replace either in the 2nd row or # 8. Same time bring on Wright as well, if required.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
The gap under the closed door is too small to see anything. We can only hope someone opens it.
That is if we "KNOCK"on it loud enough. All the Best Boys.

Status
Not open for further replies.