• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Oh no!, I had my score on the basis that Moseley was on! That's thrown my score out now. NSW by 3,not Brumbies. Rebels stays the same, by 20

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Pretty lethargic gen blue side. Lucky to be that close. Want to tidy it up a lill or they'll have to pull something from their klacker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Pretty lethargic gen blue side. Lucky to be that close. Want to tidy it up a lill or they'll have to pull something from their klacker.

From the commentary it sounded like Moseley was playing on his own against Gen Blue. Lol

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Good result for gen blue. Much better commitment in the second half and their set piece took control. The scrum in particular took its toll on the young brumbies.

The downside for mine is the structure, looseness of some of the rucks and their discipline, however these can be improved upon.

Best for mine:

Brumbies 4 swain, 8 leber, 10 Moseley & 13 iktau.

Gen blues 8 girdler 9 strang, 15 Clements 18 Matthew & 19 McLennan. Would have included Johnson Jones, if it wasn't for his stupid yellow. I for one don't ware that type of disrespectful play; in fact if it continues it's a large enough negative not for him to be selected. The team will find it hard enough without self indulgent play like that.

Mom 9 strang, a certainty for mine in the aussie 23. Played well in both 9 & 10 which is a very unique ability. A complete player.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
HTC, Moseley trying to do too much, 2nd half, his kicks never found touch and no execution. For me, I'm a bit disappointed as I had high hopes. NSW came out 2nd half firing, I think the brumbies are out of finals contention.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
From the commentary it sounded like Moseley was playing on his own against Gen Blue. Lol

Yeah they get a bee in the bonnet about a certain player don't they and won't be budged - not that Moseley was a dud by any means.

From a NSW Gen Blue aspect, "Mad Dog" McLennan of Gen Blue got a good wrap when he came on - he can be a penalty magnet but behaved himself this time.

Reserve prop Dan Matthew got some praise too for his play and his beard - we could have told the commentators that he had the best beard in the 2016 Schools Nationals. Nobody else was close. He will probably make his mark in U20s more next year.

Outside centre Ezera Chee-Kam kept getting compliments but he didn't get to do a lot; though this is a case where praise is well-placed. Given a fair ration of ball he can show what he can do.

No.8 Max Girdler also got a few mentions for good play and deserved it. He was in the reserves in the first game but has taken his chances since a bad injury ruined the season of Justin Cooper.

LHP Harry Johnson-Holmes had another strong match except for earning the yellow card he deserved.

I thought that fullback Tim Clements played well but that scrummie Theo Strang was the MOTM by playing like a senior player once more. Hadn't seen him play flyhalf before, as he did when Banjo Travers came on, nor kick at goal for that matter; but maybe Scots' connections know more about his skills in those departments than I do.

Whatever - the national selectors will give that versatility a big tick.

There were a few candidates for the Aussie U20 1st XV in the match - but I thought there should have been more of them.

In particular I thought the 2017 Gen Blue team would have a few more notable stars since all but three of their 23 were in their U20 year.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
HTC, Moseley trying to do too much, 2nd half, his kicks never found touch and no execution. For me, I'm a bit disappointed as I had high hopes. NSW came out 2nd half firing, I think the brumbies are out of finals contention.

Only saw the first half before switching to Blues v Highlanders, but from what I saw, I have to wonder where Mosley gets his reputation. Really had little positive impact in the first half.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
From a NSW Gen Blue aspect, "Mad Dog" McLennan of Gen Blue got a good wrap when he came on - he can be a penalty magnet but behaved himself this time.

19?
He should have been red carded for his first tackle
Theo Strang was the MOTM by playing like a senior player once more. Hadn't seen him play flyhalf before,
He was a cut above for sure.
As for not playing 10 - you surely remember Lee that Scots had him standing at first receiver with one of the backrowers doing the 9 work - gave them tremendous width in attack: the much vaunted "pod system"

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Melbourne Rebels U20s Team for Rd 3 v Force U20s:

23. Oisin Clarken

Little hard on Clarken I would have thought.

Yeah Highlander35 I agree; but maybe they are saving him as an impact player or against the Gen Blue in 2 weeks. I would think he will be straight on if they start struggling in attack.

Anyways what an exceptionally talented player just jogging on the spot.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Only saw the first half before switching to Blues v Highlanders, but from what I saw, I have to wonder where Mosley gets his reputation. Really had little positive impact in the first half.

Well Brumby Runner you probably wouldn't have seen much of him as the rest of us haven't, mainly due to injury. However he is a very good player; sometimes tries too hard to change things when patience is required.

He is a running 10 (I actually prefer him at 12; incidentally the position he was selected for in the Aussie Schoolboys team in 2015 before injury), who has a great boot. I would think he is still blowing the cobwebs out as he has not played since Bros v Souths (Bris Prem Colts) first round last year (late April last year?). But trust me, if he can stay on the field, he is the genuine article and you will soon be a convert.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Rebels playing well. But the Force are spent...3 hard games in a row are taking its toll. Think there 8, 9 and their scrum trying hard, but the play too risky with not much execution to back it up. Lot of running sideways, and by both teams.

Let's hope like in the Gen Blue game they can show some ticker again to have some honour.

N

NTT

Gee, some of the Rebels U/20s backs look very promising. Tackling by the Force U/20s was seriously lacking at times. Also the decision making by the Force U/20s at times was poor.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Oh no!, I had my score on the basis that Moseley was on! That's thrown my score out now. NSW by 3,not Brumbies. Rebels stays the same, by 20

Don't think I can allow this one thebreakdown ;) not with 32 mins of the game done.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Beautiful sunny day in Melbourne and pretty entertaining game. might be the only victory Rebels supporters see all year ! final score 52 - 21
Rebels forwards, despite their enormous size struggled a bit at set piece, a couple of tight heads and clearly they have they same line out coach as the senior team. better at the breakdown but still turned over the ball on a few attacking occasions. the giant second rower Meafou-Latu has a touch of the "Big Will Skelton's" about him, the 7 and then 19 (Clift ?) when he came on impressed me.
agree the Rebels backs were simply too big, too fast and well drilled for the Force, Goddard and McGregor controlled the game well. Paisami needs to be a little less selfish. Tupou has serious pace and vision. Clarken looked good when he came on.
For the Force the No8 had a strong game as did the half back, No 5 and both props.

Status
Not open for further replies.