• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Watched about 55 minutes of this. NSW set piece basics varied between awful (lineout) and ordinary (scrum). Ruck work was poor. Ball carrier support terrible and game plan of "chuck it wide" worked about as well as it did for the Tahs last season.

More variety needed, less we'll-just-run-over-these-blokes mentality.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Wholesale changes needs for gen blu. Flights, bus trips and wet weather cannot excuse below par performances. Time to pick the players within the squad who can execute set peice play ie lineouts(so bad). Nice team performance from reds
. Hard to say from a new south Welshmen but credit where credits due. Fingers x coaches open their eyes for rebels lineup
What's your preferred team?

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Pretty disappointed that NSW came to play without a game plan? The only time they looked good was with the rolling maul try early in the first half and at the scrum. There was a lot of hype about the NSW halves and even when the halfback changed positions there was no real sting in attack. The number 22 had a bit of speed and footwork but hardly saw the ball and when he did the defense was too good.
IMO I think they will have a hard time putting points on the board next week against the Rebels. I know where my money is going to be and sorry Rugby Mum you may have to deal with a crying bunch of boys again. The finals will be between the Rebels and the Reds and of course as it always happens, majority of the squad will be picked from NSW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
^^^^^
The 10 for NSW was an u19 playing his first game due to Wilkinsons injury so not sure where the hype came from. Strang has been very good but didn't have his best game. A bit hard to when NSW lost almost all their line out ball. Well done Reds, hopefully NSW can turn things around and we get another shot. IIRC NSW had bugger all players in the Oz team last year.

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
As with many team sports there is a winner and a loser. NSW lost comprehensively yesterday being outplayed by a more cohesive team. That's not to say that the NSW boys weren't giving it their all. There wouldn't be one boy who wouldn't be feeling shattered after losing.

Losing Girdler in warm up made a difference - he adds starch, Bradford missed his throws which puts everyone under pressure. Hard for the backs when you are not getting good ball. Bradford adds size around the park and in the scrum. Bit more communication between 2 and 4. Problem solved.

As for the best team to field? It was the best the selectors had access to. Think of the NSW boys not in the team this year that played or were in the squad last year- McGregor, Goddard, Maddocks (contracts with Rebels), Smith (overseas), Porter, Horton, Sepesa, Gittoes (all in rehab).

I am still backing NSW over the Rebels. The boys in blue will regroup this week and have their best game.

GPS Fantastic

Frank Nicholson (4)
^^^^
Not having MG on the field was disappointing and would have made a difference.
Lineouts improved enormously in second half when 2 was replaced by 16.
Scrums were pretty even.
The NSW team would be disappointed in their efforts on the day, they almost handed QLD their win on a silver platter with too many mistakes and handovers.
Onwards and upwards, looking forward to next week.

S

sidelineview

NSW couldn't play that bad again .... hopefully. Chances are they wont.

Qld were very strong defensively.
NSW wouldn't have beaten the Reds even if they did maintain possession instead of squandering it, but it would have been a closer contest. Their first half performance set the scene for the game and they didn't recover.

Woulda, coulda and shoulda, but if they improve on the basics and hang onto the ball for prolonged periods of time to build pressure and aren't on the back foot defending so much, they might surprise the tipsters next week.

It was a bit of a comedy of errors; for example, McLennan made some uncharacteristic mistakes. He's always good for a couple of penalties, but he was off his game yesterday.

Being able to vary the attack including employing a smart kicking game would help, but if they dont have the ball it's all academic.

I just stated the obvious, but the coaches will no doubt be plotting a form reversal for next week.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I'm sorry to say but that was a terrible display of u20's rugby. With Moseley and Iketau injured (Moseley's looked a little more serious) next weeks game is going to be a walkover for Qld. It just seems like both teams were lacking in basic skills. TBO there wasn't one player that really put his hand up to the selectors.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm sorry to say but that was a terrible display of u20's rugby. With Moseley and Iketau injured (Moseley's looked a little more serious) next weeks game is going to be a walkover for Qld. It just seems like both teams were lacking in basic skills. TBO there wasn't one player that really put his hand up to the selectors.

Agree, it's a bit like the senior Super franchises, no depth and very little competition for outside backs and tight 5

lightning rod

Chris McKivat (8)
force started well with a 7-0 lead early
unfortunately all down hill from there
down 13-7 at the break
Brumbies colts finished scoring at 36
there was no more scoring for the Force

lightning rod

Chris McKivat (8)
that may help anyone reading this that was wondering WTF with the previous posts #754&758
after reading this place for a long time some posters like to make comments in a vacuum so we have to keep guessing :rolleyes:

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Force played their GF against NSW and petered out from there. Apart from Vui, hard to see any other Australian selections but I like the way they mostly stuck with their locals to give them every chance.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
that may help anyone reading this that was wondering WTF with the previous posts #754&758
after reading this place for a long time some posters like to make comments in a vacuum so we have to keep guessing :rolleyes:
Thinking the same Silverado: ??

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Anyone not following the game at all would form an opinion after reading posts 754 and 758 that neither side had offered anything at all in the way of game play or scoring. I thank LR for providing a context for those less than flattering comments.

lightning rod

Chris McKivat (8)
Thinking the same Silverado: ??

you make consistent and even some valuable posts to these threads/discussions. but you comment in space #754 and #758 didn't tell us which match you just watched the scores or any thing else. you might as well said
"that was a bad pass" for the amount of valuable information it provided but as i said you are consistent that has been the way you have reported matches for some time

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Sorry to burst your bubble Brumby Runner but it was a less than flattering game that was riddled with basic errors on both sides. That said there are some good players in both teams, and I hope they don't get overlooked, that just did not deliver any good rugby today. Hopefully they can regroup for next weekend and hopefully Liam's injury is not too serious.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
you make consistent and even some valuable posts to these threads/discussions. but you comment in space #754 and #758 didn't tell us which match you just watched the scores or any thing else. you might as well said
"that was a bad pass" for the amount of valuable information it provided but as i said you are consistent that has been the way you have reported matches for some time
I do apologize Lightning rod, for those that don't follow this forum I was talking about the 2016 game between the Rebels and Gen Blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.