• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Next the Oceania cup starting 28 April

Sense has prevailed this year and the World Rugby U20 Trophy has been moved from Apr/May to Aug/Sep.

This means that the PI teams won't have a clash of dates and will always be available to compete in the Oceania U20 Champs.

So instead of a two-match trial against the Baby Blecks (handy though it was for the Aus 20s last year - particularly the win) this year's tournament will feature Samoa and Fiji as well. A proper 4 team format.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Only concern with this format is injuries, I'm almost certain it's gona gather a list of broken bones,torn muscles and hearts come world but hey!, that's rugby. Fingers crossed it ain't so! NZ and especially the islanders are so physical in the contact.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Only concern with this format is injuries, I'm almost certain it's gona gather a list of broken bones,torn muscles and hearts come world but hey!, that's rugby. Fingers crossed it ain't so! NZ and especially the islanders are so physical in the contact.

I say don't try and play them at their own game, play it smart. A bit of running passing rugby against the PI's would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
"…this year"??

Didn't know that - or did you mean it was changed this year for 2018??

The WR (World Rugby) U20 site still has the 2017 programme going from 31 May to 19 June.

As per Silverado, yeah, it's the second tier WR (World Rugby) U20 comp I'm referring to, LG; the 2017 "Trophy" as opposed to first tier "Championship".

Samoa and Fiji couldn't have realistically been invited to play in the Oceania tourney at Bond Uni last year because the U20 Trophy dates clashed with it, leaving us with the two-team contest.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
I think your right, ngamanu has to improve his kicking game,however, I know his wingers will always get runs on the board as far as scoring opportunities go! Although I'm sure he'll go well on the wing if he gets good ball?

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
I think your right, ngamanu has to improve his kicking game,however, I know his wingers will always get runs on the board as far as scoring opportunities go! Although I'm sure he'll go well on the wing if he gets good ball?

Yep depends if he has a thinker or a runner on his inside, he could be very dangerous when put into space at speed.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Any news on Aus team list for Oceania Championships? Or is there a different thread for that?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
No, there's no separate thread and I hope nobody starts one for it - nor the World U20s - because they will be zapped.

Sorry to be rude but we've had these different threads pop up in prior years and we've found out since that one thread for everything worked better, though multi-threads seemed like a good idea at the time.

I know they named a squad for a "48-man camp assembling in the first weekend of April, two weeks out from their first tournament" (that was from the ARU release of 20th March).

Since the tournament starts on 28th April (and goes to the 6th May) I expected some clarification on matters like:

- were players added to the list because of good form after the 20th March media release?

- has/have this camp/camps, actually been held?

- have any players been cut already?

- when will the final squad for the three-match Championship be named?

If anybody knows anything definite, as contrasted to speculating about it, could they share it here please?

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I know letters have gone out to the players that have made the 30 man squad for Oceania and the guys that have missed out have been called but they have not published the squad yet.

Maybe we can change the thread name to include the Oceania games?

Changed - Editors

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Bit weird as this forum was pumped up over the last month coming into finals, now it's fizzed out completely and the two main comps are starting. I understand the different threads that become positives & negatives but hey, that's part of this discussion in-it!? Ok moving on, how many more players are dropped for World Cup following the Oceania comp?cant be too many.

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Bit weird as this forum was pumped up over the last month coming into finals, now it's fizzed out completely and the two main comps are starting. I understand the different threads that become positives & negatives but hey, that's part of this discussion in-it!? Ok moving on, how many more players are dropped for World Cup following the Oceania comp?cant be too many.

Got withdrawal symptoms thebreakdown?? Watched the young crew at hk 7's, maybe one or two from there. Mainly because of big match experience and to give the play flow.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)

I heard there is a 30 man squad picked for the Oceania games which does not include those players on Super Rugby/sevens duties or those players who may be injured that are worthy of a spot. A 28 man team will be picked after the conclusion of the Oceania Championships for the JWC.

Status
Not open for further replies.