• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Missed ya sage, where u been? See, I knew I had to say sum thing to get you guys on board! 7s boys playing well too, HTC, I know they not available for Oceania but it's gona cause a stir come JWC? Different game?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Missed ya sage, where u been? See, I knew I had to say sum thing to get you guys on board! 7s boys playing well too, HTC, I know they not available for Oceania but it's gona cause a stir come JWC? Different game?

Yeah I know but they always pull that card and regret it later. The Sevens boys will be in Paris when the u20s leave around the 22 May for Georgia so I don't think there will be many dropping down. The Super Rugby boys are touch and go who comes down or misses a game or two as the JWC will mostly be in the Test break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I heard there is a 30 man squad picked for the Oceania games which does not include those players on Super Rugby/sevens duties or those players who may be injured that are worthy of a spot. A 28 man team will be picked after the conclusion of the Oceania Championships for the JWC.

Edited

Those are about the right numbers that are used every year for and after Bond.

If memory serves, a 28 man team for the Worlds was named after Bond , as you mentioned, and for the last few years they came to Sydney for the Narrabeen camp and a two-match warm up, before they got on the plane to go to the Worlds.

Usually they brought 4-5 reserves with them to Narrabeen, and used them in the warm up games so they were up to speed if they were needed at late notice for the Worlds because of injuries after Bond.

But this year, I hear that the final camp, (after Bond) will be at the AIS in Canberra (not Narrabeen) starting on May 10th; so I don't know what the warm up game situation will be.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
This JWC looks really exciting for us, we have a bloody strong side here, especially up front. I know it's early days boys but I definitely feel the team is here! With the premier boys back and 7s maybe on call, it's all on! Our bench will be asking questions when they get the nod and that's the key to this comp! THE BENCH. Impact players ready to lift and finish strong. I'm hanging for this Oceania! Bring it on!!!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This JWC looks really exciting for us, we have a bloody strong side here, especially up front. I know it's early days boys but I definitely feel the team is here! With the premier boys back and 7s maybe on call, it's all on! Our bench will be asking questions when they get the nod and that's the key to this comp! THE BENCH. Impact players ready to lift and finish strong. I'm hanging for this Oceania! Bring it on!!!

Have you watched any of the last, say, 5 events?

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
^^^
I had the same optimism last year, we had a good team and fizzled to our usual 6th. The 6 Nations teams have been together for a long time in an under 20s 6 Nation championship, yet we don't even know who's in the team is yet. England beat Ireland and the Southern Hemisphere teams were outplayed. I'd like to see the team chosen earlier and given a chance to get some cohesion so we can be competitive. The forwards did well but the backs had no structure

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
^^^
I had the same optimism last year, we had a good team and fizzled to our usual 6th. The 6 Nations teams have been together for a long time in an under 20s 6 Nation championship, yet we don't even know who's in the team is yet. England beat Ireland and the Southern Hemisphere teams were outplayed. I'd like to see the team chosen earlier and given a chance to get some cohesion so we can be competitive. The forwards did well but the backs had no structure

we'll always have a "good team" but they'll have a good team thats played a lot together.
Not sure how we cure that.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
we'll always have a "good team" but they'll have a good team thats played a lot together.
Not sure how we cure that.
So true. It's a big step up from the Curtain raiser cup to the JWC. I'd love to see a team picked earlier and play in a junior Tri Nations or Rugby Championship to get us ready, but that would be costly and difficult logistically but until that happens we won't do better than mid table

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So true. It's a big step up from the Curtain raiser cup to the JWC. I'd love to see a team picked earlier and play in a junior Tri Nations or Rugby Championship to get us ready, but that would be costly and difficult logistically but until that happens we won't do better than mid table

Since we're dreaming: An u20 NRC would expose more young men but it would be virtually impossible to stage it so as to give kids straight out of school a chance of selection. it would cost a bomb too.

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Well that's just put a dampener on my wrap. Obviously I haven't studied the past so I'm just gona go it alone hey! Call me a dreamer then. Stewart is the key to my dream. He's the package to accomodate our forwards and backs. He's solid on defence so I have good reason to suggest we are on track to succeed. The past must have some input to know its gotta be broken sooner or later.

lightning rod

Chris McKivat (8)
^^^

It strikes me that a few were selected last August if not earlier and it doesn't matter how slow/unfit they were they were always going to be there

lightning rod

Chris McKivat (8)
Since we're dreaming: An u20 NRC would expose more young men but it would be virtually impossible to stage it so as to give kids straight out of school a chance of selection. it would cost a bomb too.

Just out of school most rep level players are used to paying for the privilege of playing higher level rugby... get them to subsidise the comp. Only provide support for players that play for "developing clubs" in growth areas to encourage broader competition. Players heading to the warehouses can look after themselves

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well that's just put a dampener on my wrap. Obviously I haven't studied the past so I'm just gona go it alone hey! Call me a dreamer then. Stewart is the key to my dream. He's the package to accomodate our forwards and backs. He's solid on defence so I have good reason to suggest we are on track to succeed. The past must have some input to know its gotta be broken sooner or later.

Stewart looks good to me but has he been tested?

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Stewart looks good to me but has he been tested?

Yeah I think he has to a degree. Has come out of some fairly debious situations on top. Sure he will be further tested in the comp. going forward.

Every challenge met so far, so can't fault that. For mine the team this year is more balanced than last year. And as far as 6th goes; for mine they were fairly close to the eventual winner but no chocolates. Hopefully this year will be different

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Inside shoulder; true story bout being tested (Stewart) but I think everyone is up for testing champ! Our pack will determine how well we play, but more so, Stewart will compliment their efforts. Previous years haven't been promising for us but this side looks challenging.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Inside shoulder; true story bout being tested (Stewart) but I think everyone is up for testing champ! Our pack will determine how well we play, but more so, Stewart will compliment their efforts. Previous years haven't been promising for us but this side looks challenging.

Lots of confidence on a side that hasn't been named yet but I'm with you in general it looks good

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

In the last couple of years our problem has been the midfield not the piggies. Depending on who gets the start at 12 and 13 we will see if that issue rears its ugly head again.
I have a lot of faith run Cron not to be seduced simply by size - hopefully he picks a 12 like Simoni rather than Mal Meninga

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
In the last couple of years our problem has been the midfield not the piggies. Depending on who gets the start at 12 and 13 we will see if that issue rears its ugly head again.
I have a lot of faith run Cron not to be seduced simply by size - hopefully he picks a 12 like Simoni rather than Mal Meninga
Who you suggesting he picks at 12 & 13?

thebreakdown

Ted Fahey (11)
Good call (inside shoulder)I did comment earlier in the season that our midfielders were not creating opportunities to their outsides or looking for options, instead they were more robust and lacked vision, however, they have become more aware of their roles, but I still see problems when decision making under pressure arises. Whoever stands up under these circumstances in the Oceania comp will be business class to Georgia! Key role as we have firepower out wide. Showed in u20 final when ball went wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.