• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It would help if the Super Rugby coaches assist with releasing players eligible to play u20's and not have them traveling around as backup to bench players. They never see their names on a match day 23 list never mind even making the field. They should be available for the u20 squad! Surely there are players in club land that would love to travel around and hold tackle bags for the players? We need to have a united vision for rugby in Australia. The rugby culture is as individual and uncoordinated as the game played yesterday. It should be taught at the grassroots but the motivation assistance and genuine love for the game should come from the top. Only that way will we grow the right culture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the ARU is well and truly on board that Super Rugby takes precedence to the under 20s and contracted players should stay with their Super team if required (even if just outside the matchday 23).

When we get to the Under 20 RWC, they'll generally get released if not in the matchday 23 at the time.

Mrs Jarse

Frank Row (1)
If all the relevant players were available, what would the best backline look like?

9. Nucifora
10. Stewart
11. Hutchison
12. Jooste?
13. Perese
14. Ngaumu
15. Maddocks

21. Strang
22. McGregor
23. Tuipolotu

27. Kennewell/McNamara
28. Riley

Thoughts?

Kennewell and Hutchison 12/13. Jooste off the bench, if at all.
McGregor out due to injury.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It would help if the Super Rugby coaches assist with releasing players eligible to play u20's and not have them traveling around as backup to bench players. They never see their names on a match day 23 list never mind even making the field. They should be available for the u20 squad! Surely there are players in club land that would love to travel around and hold tackle bags for the players? We need to have a united vision for rugby in Australia. The rugby culture is as individual and uncoordinated as the game played yesterday. It should be taught at the grassroots but the motivation assistance and genuine love for the game should come from the top. Only that way will we grow the right culture.

which players are missing or are being held back by Super Coaches?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If McGregor is out injured, surely Jooste makes the squad as a top 3 option at 10 (along with Stewart and Strang).

You probably also want three halfback options so maybe put Lonergan instead of McGregor (options of Nucifora, Strang, Lonergan).

12 backs seems about the right number out of a squad of 28. Ability to play multiple positions certainly helps with the squad size.

I wonder how serious Reece Hewat's injury was last night?

Mrs Jarse

Frank Row (1)
which players are missing or are being held back by Super Coaches?

Rebels players
If McGregor is out injured, surely Jooste makes the squad as a top 3 option at 10 (along with Stewart and Strang).

You probably also want three halfback options so maybe put Lonergan instead of McGregor (options of Nucifora, Strang, Lonergan).

12 backs seems about the right number out of a squad of 28. Ability to play multiple positions certainly helps with the squad size.

I wonder how serious Reece Hewat's injury was last night?

McGregor definitely out, Strang would be favoured due to ability to cover 10 at a pinch. I rated him higher than Jooste last night as he runs forward not sideways.

Hewat bad cramps, looked like groin.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Would Ha'angana be a chance? I know he's the Rebels 8th Choice lock, so only around because of injury, but going to South Africa as an 18 year old forward is a pretty positive thing on the resume.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Would Ha'angana be a chance? I know he's the Rebels 8th Choice lock, so only around because of injury, but going to South Africa as an 18 year old forward is a pretty positive thing on the resume.

He flew to the Gold Coast after SA tour and was recalled to Melbourne along with McGregor and Goddard. I heard there were 4 called back to Melbourne. Ngamanu called to Reds squad for this weekend with a #24 on the seat of his pants behind the bench. Just doesn't help does it. I feel for Cron!

T

TOCC

Vui, Uelese, Tuipolotu, Maddocks, and Stewart would seem to be the options that are likely to come in.

Stewart is in the 23 though, its not like he is just holding tackling bags...

We make a big fuss about the U20's, but I'm starting to question the tangible benefits of it, part of me thinks the 30 odd guys would be better off playing in the Shute Shield and Premier Rugby and completely abolishing Australia's involvement in U20's, it doesn't suit the Australian Rugby Calendar. It works in Europe because its aligned to their season and allows the guys to play a lot of rugby.

Force U20's players played their last match on the 19th March, Brumbies and Rebels players have played one or 2 matches in the past 5 weeks. For some players, they will head to the U20s JWC having played 30 or 40min of rugby in the preceding 2months and then might get 80min of rugby during the tournament.

Is it really benefiting their development, or would consistent game time be a better alternative for them at this stage of their careers.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Stewart is in the 23 though, its not like he is just holding tackling bags.

I agree with you. I was just naming the Super Rugby contracted players that Cron would want in his U20 RWC squad.

I don't think there are any examples of players that aren't being released for the under 20s when they should be this year. All those guys have been in Super Rugby matchday 23s at various points this season and the Rebels and Force both have substantial injury issues so are running with depleted squads.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
My other thing thing is, if the 7s boys are to be considered for Georgia, why aren't the 7s boys playing in this tournament.

There's a week between the end of this one, and the Parisian Sevens.

Could have easily seen anyone they were interested in play at least the first 2 games.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Junior Springbok squad for U20 World Championship:

Juarno Augustus (Western Province), Kwenzo Blose (Free State Cheetahs), Curwin Bosch (Sharks), David Brits (Western Province), Jean-Luc Cilliers (Golden Lions), Zain Davids (Western Province), Francois de Villiers (Sharks), Stedman Gans (Blue Bulls), Johan Grobbelaar (vice-captain, Blue Bulls), Wikus Groenewald (Western Province), Daniel Jooste (Western Province), Rewan Kruger (Free State Cheetahs), Manie Libbok (Blue Bulls), Gianni Lombard (Golden Lions), Len Massyn (Golden Lions), Lee-Marvin Mazibuko (Western Province), Salmaan Moerat (Western Province), Reinhard Nothnagel (Golden Lions), Embrose Papier (Blue Bulls), Yaw Penxe (EP Kings), Carlu Sadie (Western Province), Wandisile Simelane (Golden Lions), Hendre Stassen (Blue Bulls), Gerhard Steenekamp (Blue Bulls), Ruben van Heerden (Blue Bulls), Damian Willemse (Western Province), Nama Xaba (Western Province), Ersnt van Ryhn (captain, Western Province)

Eight players backing up from last year, including Sharks flyhalf Curwin Bosch.

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/bosch-in-junior-springbok-squad/

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
Stewart is in the 23 though, its not like he is just holding tackling bags.

We make a big fuss about the U20's, but I'm starting to question the tangible benefits of it, part of me thinks the 30 odd guys would be better off playing in the Shute Shield and Premier Rugby and completely abolishing Australia's involvement in U20's, it doesn't suit the Australian Rugby Calendar. It works in Europe because its aligned to their season and allows the guys to play a lot of rugby.

Force U20's players played their last match on the 19th March, Brumbies and Rebels players have played one or 2 matches in the past 5 weeks. For some players, they will head to the U20s JWC having played 30 or 40min of rugby in the preceding 2months and then might get 80min of rugby during the tournament.

Is it really benefiting their development, or would consistent game time be a better alternative for them at this stage of their careers.

Nah disagree with ya. ANY test match is more important than any Super Rugby event (except possibly Super Rugby semi/final). This is not me talking it's the IRB. So they must think it's important. A test match is a test match irrespective of age etc.

They are (test matches) particularly more important particularly given the returns of the Aust. Franchises in Super Rugby are going.

On a more interesting note, anyone confirm that the ARU "news" that they won't (in the future) be offering Super Rugby contracts to u 20's? Interesting turn around; maybe club rugby and plenty of it is the answer to improving the young guns performances rather than holding tackle bags for the Super Rugby crew?

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Surely Tate McDermott gets brought in to the squad. There were snaps of him warming up with the reds squad the other night, reportedly on kind of 'work experience'. How about we get him to 'work' and play for the Aus u20's. The kid can play

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
Is Lachie Anderson u20's eligble? if so, there are 5 eligble for the u20's that have been named for the upcoming sevens series.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
All the boys that played in the super 20's and that were subsequently picked to trial, have the skills and that was on display throughout the super 20s tournament because of the time spent knowing, training with and understanding each other.
The reason, IMO, the game on Tuesday was such a mess was because of lack of communication, lack of training together and new systems, strategies and structure. If you drop in 1 or 2 players from the sevens and or Super Rugby they "may" be able to adapt but if you are going to take 5 from sevens (after the Paris sevens 21 May) and 5 - 6 from Super Rugby and play them in the squad you will be sitting with the same scenario you have now.
It would be in the coaches interest to settle the team down spend as much time training in the next camp and getting to know each other rather than rely on too many drop in's, some of who haven't played XV for quite some time.
The boys playing in the Super Rugby squads will adapt easier and I think they will be required to attend the next camp in Canberra which would include a few practice games and I have no problem with that.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
To me, you pick the best players and if those happen to play 7's at the moment so be it and some boys lose there places.

Status
Not open for further replies.