• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2017 Under-20 Competitions including Oceania & World U20s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
You may find Gavin Luka and Sham Vui in the mix for the JWC, Luka has been running with the squad over the last 2 weeks with his recovering hand injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N

NTT

Jooste at 10 will be targeted by the kiwis. Joostes complete lack of a running game will see the kiwis eat up the Aussie backs who will be going sideways as that is Joostes only direction when playing 10. The forwards need to harden up and play more direct footy with their carries. Australias locks need to lift, theyve been too soft. Aussies are going to need to control the ball for longer periods if they want to win, i just don't think they have the skills or resilience to do this.

Old Rugby

Allen Oxlade (6)
Jooste at 10 will be targeted by the kiwis. Joostes complete lack of a running game will see the kiwis eat up the Aussie backs who will be going sideways as that is Joostes only direction when playing 10. The forwards need to harden up and play more direct footy with their carries. Australias locks need to lift, theyve been too soft. Aussies are going to need to control the ball for longer periods if they want to win, i just don't think they have the skills or resilience to do this.
Half time

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from last night:

Samoa v Fiji - Flickr or Facebook

Australia v New Zealand - Flickr or Facebook
33644698554_95282e7dfa_z_d.jpg

34446408006_0ff65eff35_z_d.jpg

34327776702_556460d619_z_d.jpg

T

TOCC

Time to cancel the program... it isn't working

Send them back to club rugby, at least give the grassroots a boost

Moonrat

Frank Nicholson (4)
Time to cancel the program. it isn't working

Send them back to club rugby, at least give the grassroots a boost

Unfortunately the gap is big in terms of preparation, funding and player pool. Kiwi's had about the same time together in preparation and looked good (as you'd expect)

Recent history tells you the NH teams, SA and NZ will all be well drilled, huge in size and battle ready.
If the whole extent of AU talent is not on show are they really going to be competitive?
I also will jump on the band wagon of play the player in his position or not at all and Please stop picking on reputation earned as a school boy.

Happy to Chat

Nev Cottrell (35)
Unfortunately the gap is big in terms of preparation, funding and player pool. Kiwi's had about the same time together in preparation and looked good (as you'd expect)
The Aus squad met Cron for a brief camp, as a greater squad, for a couple of days after the super 20's final and then for 2 days training before the Oceania Championships. NZ I know for a fact had their first camp in Dec 2016 and then a couple more this year. The Kiwis have 2 players currently with Super Rugby obligations not in the team, how many do we have? Some posters here say throw it in, give it up. That sure isn't the way to identify and develop players that have the talent to maybe make it. The aim should be for all Aus to support it, by that I mean give the U20 coach the right to draw on any eligible player for all training activities, identity the players or wider squad earlier and prepare the boys properly like all the other countries do. Samoa who had boys from Aus, NZ and Samoa in their team, spent more time together than the Australian team.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As someone who hasn't really been following the U20's......

What's the word on some of the ACT guys like Lonergan and Swain?

From all reports they played well in the earlier matches but obviously weren't picked to play against NZ or in the squad to go to Georgia........

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
As someone who hasn't really been following the U20's..

From all reports they played well in the earlier matches but obviously weren't picked to play against NZ or in the squad to go to Georgia....

I thought Swain played well but Lonergan was even better.

They named only two scrummies - I though they would pick Strang who can play flyhalf as well, but they didn't.

But put a ring around Lonergan's name for next year.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
How the fuck did Goddard get there when he was the 4th stringer?

A little surprised, but not very much that Ha'angana didn't get selected, but when I saw Valentini was named, it all clicked into place.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
There is a blog on the squad named for Georgia here:

Give it a click.

If you have any comments write them in discussion on the blog - then the boss will know there is a bit of interest in Under 20s.

Well done lee for another unbiased and worthy comments. Would love to help you with a comment for the big cheese; but is it really that hard for me to log in!! Ahh!

The sage

Vay Wilson (31)
As someone who hasn't really been following the U20's..

From all reports they played well in the earlier matches but obviously weren't picked to play against NZ or in the squad to go to Georgia....

Thought swain was fairly unlucky; lonergan was thereabouts but up against three other pretty handy halves.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Lee, is there a time period on "played Super Rugby"?

Because Uelese played at least the Blues game for the Rebels this season, maybe the Canes game too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.