• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 NSW Junior Championships

Rich_E

Ron Walden (29)
Venues for this weekends State Championships

June Long weekend (9th – 11th June, 2018)
· U11’s – Lindfield Junior Rugby Club, Koola Park at East Killara
· U12’s – Camden Rugby Club, Camden Rugby Park at Camden
· U13’s – Nelson Bay Rugby Club, Salamander Bay Sports Complex at Port Stephens *(moved to nearby ovals)
· U14’s – Orange City & Orange Emus Rugby Clubs, Endeavour Oval at Orange
· U15 Boys – Wests Juniors, Concord Oval/St Lukes at Concord
· U15 Girls – Wests Juniors, Concord Oval/St Lukes at Concord
· U16’s – Drummoyne Junior Rugby, Drummoyne Oval and Taplin Oval at Drummoyne *(Finals at Drummoyne now)
· U17 Girls – Wests Juniors, Concord Oval/St Lukes at Concord.
· Opens - Wests Juniors, Concord Oval/St Lukes at Concord.
Sunday 22nd July, 2018
· U10’s – Narrabeen Rugby Club, North Narrabeen Reserve at Narrabeen.

How'd today's games go GOIII?

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Results from Day 1 at NSWJRU State Champs - Opens (Concord Oval)

A few of the opens lads put their hand up for selection into the NSW squad on today's performance..:)

Attachments

• Opens results Day 1.PNG
    Opens results Day 1.PNG
    14.1 KB · Views: 502

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Results from Day 1 at NSWJRU State Champs - U15 Girls (St Lukes North)

Attachments

• U15 girls results day 1.PNG
    U15 girls results day 1.PNG
    19.8 KB · Views: 387

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
St Lukes and Concord Ovals looked an absolute treat today.... would not have known we have had rain all week...

Outstanding :) many thanks to West Juniors for hosting.

(I also managed to see Drummoyne Oval as well which was just as pristine - thanks also to the Dirty Reds Juniors for hosting).

Attachments

• St Lukes early morning Day 1.jpg
    St Lukes early morning Day 1.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 391

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Results from Day 1 at NSWJRU State Champs - U15 Boys (St Lukes)

Great games today and again a great tournament.

Best of luck to all teams tomorrow.

Whilst the refs are always very much appreciated. Today's referring was absolutely appalling, cost 1 team both games.
So END OF TOURNAMENT for that team, and all those boys.
The poor prepubescent lines boy were too scared to call a non try, so games were lost.

Well known that this type of real and honest feedback falls on deaf ears, but surely we can lift the quality of those running the games.
The young boys in the middle,and those running the lines, do their best BUT they are NOT up to it, you need adults.

It would be really wonderful to see/hear a change from the organisers, and take some honest feedback seriously but that will not happen, I suspect...

A lot of training goes into each team, so some quality officiating is desperately needed.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Well known that this type of real and honest feedback falls on deaf ears, but surely we can lift the quality of those running the games.
The young boys in the middle,and those running the lines, do their best BUT they are NOT up to it, you need adults.

Your assumption is there is a massive pool of adult referees sitting in the wings. I can assure you there is not.

The real and honest feedback is the organizers agree - we need more referees.. The referees have been calling for volunteers for State Champs for weeks..

The real question then is are you a referee? if not - why not? Be part of the solution.

Glad you enjoy the tournament but please don't take shots at the young referees doing their best.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Your assumption is there is a massive pool of adult referees sitting in the wings. I can assure you there is not.

The real and honest feedback is the organizers agree - we need more referees.. The referees have been calling for volunteers for State Champs for weeks..

The real question then is are you a referee? if not - why not? Be part of the solution.

Glad you enjoy the tournament but please don't take shots at the young referees doing their best.

WLF

Arch Winning (36)

I am a BIG fan of Refs, so please don't think otherwise.

However, unless you were there, there were a multitude of decisions that were so obviously incorrect, it was a very sad joke.
Which resulted in a team, which could have ultimately been a real contender, being wiped out.

I hope something comes of this for future games, BUT i am equally sure that this will not change. UNLESS in a big game going forward it affects an Eastwood V Gordon play off.
Until then. it will never change.

The really pleasing/most important thing is that aside from all this REP BS. is that boys ultimately get to play for their school and then everyone gets to asses reality.

BAR

Chris McKivat (8)

...I hope something comes of this for future games, BUT i am equally sure that this will not change. UNLESS in a big game going forward it affects an Eastwood V Gordon play off...

If I ever heard a coach or team official from any team my sons are in suggest that they only lost because of the quality of officials then I would be rethinking our son's involvement with that team. To say "it was the refs fault" is the same as saying "there wasn't anything our players could have done better from kick off to full time that would have changed the result". A coach or team that takes that view has nothing to offer their player's development as athletes and is not a team I would want to be a part of. I don't believe Gordon has that culture so I don't accept the premise of your argument.

Personally, I think that you take the referees that you get. Regardless of their experience, ability, age they are doing the best job they can in a thankless role where every decision will be questioned by someone. When it occurs, poor quality refereeing is a problem for both sides on the field and both sides equally have to play past it.

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Results from Day 1 at NSWJRU State Champs - U16s (Drummoyne)

Attachments

• U16s results Day 1.jpeg
    U16s results Day 1.jpeg
    221.6 KB · Views: 354

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)

The really pleasing/most important thing is that aside from all this REP BS. is that boys ultimately get to play for their school and then everyone gets to asses reality.

WLF - that is great news that you are a big fan of referees. Should make the transition to joining them so much easier.

And i can only assume that you have younger kids, so i hate to be the bearer of bad news - but i don't think the schools rugby will be the Nirvana that you seek. Schools also have plenty of young referees (even in A comps) and unfortunately they too make some mistakes.

But the better news is that now you are on a path to join the brotherhood - you can help at schools rugby too. Win-Win!!

Good luck with the rest of the State Champs and with the whistle:)

BAR

Chris McKivat (8)
Yesterday at St Lukes saw some good rugby. At the end of play four U15 boys teams finished with two wins from two matches: Gordon; Eastwood; Northern Suburbs; and Parramatta. Of these teams the first three appear likely to top the three pools. Eastwood are playing strong but notably lack the attacking firepower they had over the last two years. Northern Suburbs look very much like they are the team to beat (I’ll leave it to others to make a call on Gordon - but needless to say we’re happy with day 1). Parramatta are a bit of a dark horse but played well to take their wins. Randwick are playing good rugby and are unlucky not to have recorded a win (or two).

ACT, Hunter and Warringah (each with one win) also have potential to upset some of the other teams but will need to play at their best for the full match to do so. From what I saw on day 1 there was some inconsistency in their efforts (or bad decisions - eg. dry weather football in the rain) but when they were getting it right they looked good.

One of the highlights for me on day one was asking some of the U15 girls how they went after their first match. With giant smiles firmly in place they told me they ‘had been thrashed but that’s OK ‘cause it was their first time playing the XV game and they were having lots of fun’.

Central Best

Chris McKivat (8)
Yesterday at St Lukes saw some good rugby. At the end of play four U15 boys teams finished with two wins from two matches: Gordon; Eastwood; Northern Suburbs; and Parramatta. Of these teams the first three appear likely to top the three pools. Eastwood are playing strong but notably lack the attacking firepower they had over the last two years. Northern Suburbs look very much like they are the team to beat (I’ll leave it to others to make a call on Gordon - but needless to say we’re happy with day 1). Parramatta are a bit of a dark horse but played well to take their wins. Randwick are playing good rugby and are unlucky not to have recorded a win (or two).

ACT, Hunter and Warringah (each with one win) also have potential to upset some of the other teams but will need to play at their best for the full match to do so. From what I saw on day 1 there was some inconsistency in their efforts (or bad decisions - eg. dry weather football in the rain) but when they were getting it right they looked good.

One of the highlights for me on day one was asking some of the U15 girls how they went after their first match. With giant smiles firmly in place they told me they ‘had been thrashed but that’s OK ‘cause it was their first time playing the XV game and they were having lots of fun’.

Nice work Bar thanks for the update
Good luck to all the boys including the refs.