• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2018 NSW Junior Championships

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Manly won the Opens Final today over Hunter by about 3 tries... A good tough game of rugby in windy conditions

Congrats to Manly on being State Champions

Manly - State Champs.PNG

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
If I ever heard a coach or team official from any team my sons are in suggest that they only lost because of the quality of officials then I would be rethinking our son's involvement with that team. To say "it was the refs fault" is the same as saying "there wasn't anything our players could have done better from kick off to full time that would have changed the result". A coach or team that takes that view has nothing to offer their player's development as athletes and is not a team I would want to be a part of. I don't believe Gordon has that culture so I don't accept the premise of your argument.

Personally, I think that you take the referees that you get. Regardless of their experience, ability, age they are doing the best job they can in a thankless role where every decision will be questioned by someone. When it occurs, poor quality refereeing is a problem for both sides on the field and both sides equally have to play past it.

I think you have misunderstood my point. I was commenting on the need for more aged/mature refs and touch judges.
Gary Owen made a good point that there isn't an abundance of refs, which is the reality but given this is a 15s state tournament that happens every year, I am astounded, and I would gladly ref if able, I do help out in many other ways, fyi.
I also don't need the platitudes about how else games could have been won etc.

I also specifically made comment that the current encumbents are doing their best, so I was not aiming at any particular person/people as I didn't quote any games.
I find it hard to believe that it can't be improved, others may be happy to accept whatever turns up, and maybe that's ok in a normal week end game, but this is a state tournament.

If we think differently that's ok too, at the end of the day, it's about getting it as right as possible.

Reactions: BAR

BAR

Chris McKivat (8)
Day 2 at St Lukes saw some great rugby but not too many surprises in terms of the final results.

Norths continued an impressive run to the finals with solid wins in their two matches and will (for the third year in a row) face Gordon in one of today’s semi-final. Gordon was strong in their quarter final against Randwick which was a very physical affair. Unfortunately, Gordon lost their number 9 to a nasty arm injury in that match.

Eastwood continued their rumble towards a third successive grand final with a win over Warringah. However, Warringah didn’t make it easy for them with a strong performance. Unfortunately I didn’t see much of the Hunter/ACT quarter but the 22-21 scoreline suggests a great contest. Hunter have a good chance against Eastwood if they keep the ball in hand and play the running rugby they are good at.

Two cracking semi finals today and while I know who I want to win them I wouldn’t dare to risk tipping a result.

Central Best

Chris McKivat (8)
Thanks again BAR sounds like it is going to be a great day of rugby at Concord. Excuse my country bias but I hope the Hunter boys show up today and trouble Eastwood. Good luck to all

Sydney Rugby Fan

Allen Oxlade (6)
Great games today and again a great tournament.

Best of luck to all teams tomorrow.

Whilst the refs are always very much appreciated. Today's referring was absolutely appalling, cost 1 team both games.
So END OF TOURNAMENT for that team, and all those boys.
The poor prepubescent lines boy were too scared to call a non try, so games were lost.

Well known that this type of real and honest feedback falls on deaf ears, but surely we can lift the quality of those running the games.
The young boys in the middle,and those running the lines, do their best BUT they are NOT up to it, you need adults.

It would be really wonderful to see/hear a change from the organisers, and take some honest feedback seriously but that will not happen, I suspect.

A lot of training goes into each team, so some quality officiating is desperately needed.

Despite the forum members disagreeing with WLF regarding this point, I will add my 0.02 worth to the mix...

You can see from the refs at the tournament that 95% are young refs - the older refs are not getting a go at these tournaments as the ref conveners are far more concerned about the young refs 'development', rather than appointing the appropriate refs to officiate at these games

I'd say most of the young refs at St.Lukes were part of the SSS refs program - the 'elite' refereeing program (chosen when they are in Year 11 at school and are provided expert refereeing coaching for when they are in Yr 12) governed by the NSWRRA/ ARU referring trainers... They are meant to be the next 'Angus Gardiner'/ 'Steve Walsh', etc - so they are given the plumb ref roles - and this includes the Saturday afternoon appointments as well.
Have a think about the school 1st XV games you have seen so far this season - how many have been done by 'older refs'? I'd say less than 10% in total...

Lots of the older refs are so jacked with the current situation - the older refs are more than capable of doing these games - and the schools and lower grade games/ higher graded Subbies games as well; however the young refs are fast-tracked for their so-called development purposes.

And this is a reason why we have fewer refs - the older refs are getting pissed off at the situation and are leaving the association in droves...

So what you are seeing is the result of a mypoic view by the NSWRRA ref management regarding refereeing appointments . and the ultimate sufferers of this management guideline? Teams like WLF's, who have games officiated by youngsters who are clearly just not up to the standard required....

I agree with WLF - appoint a few capable and suitable older refs to such games, rather than all youngsters who will unfortunately butcher some matches in tense and tight situations...

Reactions: WLF

WLF

Arch Winning (36)
Despite the forum members disagreeing with WLF regarding this point, I will add my 0.02 worth to the mix.

You can see from the refs at the tournament that 95% are young refs - the older refs are not getting a go at these tournaments as the ref conveners are far more concerned about the young refs 'development', rather than appointing the appropriate refs to officiate at these games

I'd say most of the young refs at St.Lukes were part of the SSS refs program - the 'elite' refereeing program (chosen when they are in Year 11 at school and are provided expert refereeing coaching for when they are in Yr 12) governed by the NSWRRA/ ARU referring trainers. They are meant to be the next 'Angus Gardiner'/ 'Steve Walsh', etc - so they are given the plumb ref roles - and this includes the Saturday afternoon appointments as well.
Have a think about the school 1st XV games you have seen so far this season - how many have been done by 'older refs'? I'd say less than 10% in total.

Lots of the older refs are so jacked with the current situation - the older refs are more than capable of doing these games - and the schools and lower grade games/ higher graded Subbies games as well; however the young refs are fast-tracked for their so-called development purposes.

And this is a reason why we have fewer refs - the older refs are getting pissed off at the situation and are leaving the association in droves.

So what you are seeing is the result of a mypoic view by the NSWRRA ref management regarding refereeing appointments . and the ultimate sufferers of this management guideline? Teams like WLF's, who have games officiated by youngsters who are clearly just not up to the standard required..

I agree with WLF - appoint a few capable and suitable older refs to such games, rather than all youngsters who will unfortunately butcher some matches in tense and tight situations.

Sydney Rugby Fan,

Thanks for making it clear for all of us. My point was exactly that and you have put it straight from what appears is the horses mouth..
Whilst it was never my intent on having a cheap shot at any young ref, and I didn't, on the other side of the coin are the boys playing and the many years that parents have put in supporting all the boys.

Don't forget these are A grade, so serious players, who have invested significant effort over many years in this sport, so ideally they should receive the appropriate level of quality refereeing at a State Championship.

Let's move on.

Prodigy

Alex Ross (28)
I coached the Two Blues 11s team at the State Champs this year. In the developmental age groups, I’m more than happy to see young referees given an opportunity to be given the whistle. They were not without their faults and it was very frustrating at times. However if they are not put in these situations, they don’t grow and learn. As tough as it was in some of our games, I made sure to thank the referee after the game as it sets the right example for my players and their parents. We had one game where we were caned by a very good team from Randwick and there were some refereeing issues. I made sure to thank the referee then addressed the referee coordinators ina polite but direct way. They are more than happy to take on some comments but you have to do it in the right way. For this young ref, he obviously considered what was said and I saw the changes on the second day. Well done to him for responding to feedback.
All in all, I am very proud of the rugby community when we are able to have an event like this for young rugby players. Despite the rain and mud, we had a great time.

BAR

Chris McKivat (8)
Any scores for the under 15s semi finals at Concord

Sorry about the lack of real time info on the U15s CB.

The first semi final between Eastwood and Hunter saw Eastwood come out on top 20-7. Although they got the win I thought Eastwood should have put quite few more points on the board. Eastwood created regular overlaps on the edge but with their big forwards regularly found out in the back line the ball simply wasn't finding its way to the wings. Hunter worked hard but spent too much time in their own half which allowed the big Eastwood players to come into their own. Kudos to Eastwood as they moved through to their third final in three years.

The second semi was the local derby between Norths and Gordon and the final score was 8-0 to Norths. It was a tight match with the game's only try courtesy of an intercept. Both teams defended strongly with Norths winning the field position in the first half and Gordon in the second. But, Gordon failed to press their possession and field advantage they had in the second half to get back into the game - and Norths' defensive effort was admirable.

The final saw Norths come out on top by 32-7. At half time Norths were leading 10-7 and could easily have led by more points but for a couple of forward pass calls. Norths aimed up in defence and scrambled well when their advantage line was pressed by the Eastwood forwards (who significantly outsized the Norths pack). Their defence combined with smart kicking and relentless work in the rucks allowed Norths to keep the game well away from their try line. On the back of a well fought first half and a tiring Eastwood pack Norths found the space to run up the scoreboard in the second half. A deserved win by Norths.

[Gordon played off for 3rd against Hunter and took that game 31-0]

Gary Owen III

Syd Malcolm (24)
Final Results for NSWJRU State Champs - U16 (Drummoyne)

Congratulations to Gordon (38) beating ACT (19) in the final.

Attachments

• U16 Final Results.PNG
    U16 Final Results.PNG
    41 KB · Views: 374