• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2021 Buildcorp Super W Season

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Western Force Super W squad and fixtures revealed
May 27, 2021
The Western Force squad, fixtures and venues have now been set in stone for the 2021 Buildcorp Super W season, with the Force drawn in Pool A alongside the ACT Brumbies and Queensland Reds.
Read more.....

Full-squad.jpg

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hey WCR! Ive been reduced to lurker in recent years. I find posting takes up more time and time is something i havent had a lot of. Lifes been throwing up some time consuming curve balls. I miss posting more regularly and the conversations so I'd like to get back to that. Im never leaving :)

I dont even know what pool theyre picking the preso team from. Im going to have to ask someone closer to the action.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Brumbies squad.

Really interested to see Stansfield at prop. She was awesome in the backrow last year but I reckon this is a great move.

Tabcorp Brumbies 2021 Buildcorp Super W squad

PROPS

Kimberly Fyfe, Dubbo Kangaroos
Iris Verebalavu, Uni-Norths Owls
Niki Paterson, Canberra Royals
Tayla Stanford, Tuggeranong Vikings

HOOKERS

Harriet Elleman, Wagga Aggies
Louise Burrows, Canberra Royals
Montana Ojeda, Gordon Rugby

LOCKS

Ash Fernandez, Canberra Royals
Grace Kemp, Canberra Royals
Michaela Leonard, Tuggeranong Vikings
Emily Sogal, Tuggeranong Vikings

BACKROWERS

Pearl Rakete, Goulburn Dirty Reds
Rebecca Symth, Narromine Gorillas
Zali Waihape-Andrews, Tuggeranong Vikings

HALFBACKS

Jane Garraway, Uni-Norths Owls
Susannah Cooke, Eastern Suburbs Sydney

FLYHALVES

Ash Bishop, Canberra Royals
Ella Ryan, Canberra Royals

CENTRES

Teliya Hetaraka, Tuggeranong Vikings
Apryll Green, Wagga City
Pesi Palu, Uni-Norths Owls

OUTSIDE BACKS

Halley Derera, Canberra Royals
Tamsin Barber, Eastern Suburbs Sydney
Makayla Morris, Tuggeranong Vikings
Claudia Obst, Uni-Norths Owls
Talei Qalo Wilson, Uni-Norths Owls
Lillyann Mason-Spice, Dubbo Kangaroos

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Just out of curiosity BR, how are players from Dubbo, Narromine, Gordon and Easts eligible for the Brumbies? Is by no means a complaint, and I get that to give the women’s game a kick start they need looser eligibility rules, but I’m just curious as to what they are.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Just out of curiosity BR, how are players from Dubbo, Narromine, Gordon and Easts eligible for the Brumbies? Is by no means a complaint, and I get that to give the women’s game a kick start they need looser eligibility rules, but I’m just curious as to what they are.
Would it be the same rules that allow Rebels players to play club rugby in NSW or QLD?

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)

It’s not a rep team, it’s a semi pro competition

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Would it be the same rules that allow Rebels players to play club rugby in NSW or QLD?

That’s true I guess. I just figured you would have had to sign for a club in the jurisdiction of the pro outfit you are playing for.

As you were.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
That’s true I guess. I just figured you would have had to sign for a club in the jurisdiction of the pro outfit you are playing for.

As you were.

I wonder if it is because they are franchises, not state/territory unions.

If you wanted to represent ACT Rugby Union then you would have to play for one of their clubs, if you want to play for their franchise then you can just turn up if selected.

I have never liked that situation, I have always thought when you are a kid you should be able to see a pathway from your local team, Hospital/Shute shield or equivalent, NRC team, Franchise then Wallabies.

This seems to occur in League but not so much in Union.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I can understand it in this instance, particularly for the Narromine and Dubbo girls, it's great that they have been noticed and picked up by the Brumbies. As it's semi pro they can't really afford to relocate just for a short footy comp.

However LB, I do 100% agree with you for fully professional players. I reckon Rebels players should have to sign with a RV club for example.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yikes, good luck beating this squad:

NAME CLUB
Adiana Talakai Sydney University
Arabella McKenzie Easts
Ashleigh Walker Hunter Wildfires
Asoiva (Eva) Karpani Randwick
Brianna Hoy Sydney University
Bridie O’Gorman Sydney University
Emily Chancellor Sydney University
Emily Robinson Warringah
Faliki Pohiva Sydney University
Fi Jones Sydney University
Georgina Fredrichs Easts
Georgina Tuipulotu Sydney University
Grace Hamilton (c) Sydney University
Iliseva Batibasaga Sydney University
Kaitlan Leaney Hunter Wildfires
Katrina Barker Warringah
Layne Morgan Easts
Mahalia Murphy Western Sydney Two Blues
Margot Vella Warringah
Maya Stewart Easts
Nicole Nathan Easts
Pauline Piliae Western Sydney Two Blues
Penelope Leiataua Sydney University
Piper Duck Sydney University
Sabine Blakeman Warringah
Sera Naiqama Sydney University
Skye Churchill Easts

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
, I have always thought when you are a kid you should be able to see a pathway from your local team, Hospital/Shute shield or equivalent, NRC team, Franchise then Wallabies.

This seems to occur in League but not so much in Union.

I can understand it in this instance, particularly for the Narromine and Dubbo girls, it's great that they have been noticed and picked up by the Brumbies. As it's semi pro they can't really afford to relocate just for a short footy comp.

However LB, I do 100% agree with you for fully professional players. I reckon Rebels players should have to sign with a RV club for example.

Funny you mention this LB. I also agree that as a kid you need to grow up & see a clear pathway to higher rep honours. I have mixed feelings about the Super W. I love womens rugby but I think its an extra layer that isnt needed & its caused some other issues.

Edit: I wrote a much larger response then realised I could summarise by simply saying, Super W is an extra layer that I dont think is needed. Bascially it should be 1) School/Club, 2. Regional (Like Hunter, Central West, New England for example the Country/regional areas), 3. NRC, 4. Wallaroos. I think its either Super W or NRC, both of them is overkill & the NRC is better for rivalries especially since in the womens there are the existing rivalries already there.

Regarding the bold part of KOB's post. The previous rep model could allow a kid say in Dubbo playing for Central West to get spotted directly to the Wallaroos but now that player has to play Super W also. I think the least the Super rugby franchises can do is to give some women from NSW country some spots considering their own pathway to rep had the equivalent of a stick of dynamite shoved up its clacker once the Super W got started. Its added an extra layer of travel and expense for those players outside of Sydney.

I remember some time ago being quite smug on here that women's Rugby in Australia had a better pathway to rep for country areas than the men do. Turns out karma has paid me back for that because Australian Rugby has unfortunately screwed the pooch by mindlessly copying the NRLW, AFLW, & WLeague rather than looking at what would work for womens Rugby. The NRC style comp was really the comp the women needed - not Super W. It even had ready made rivalries. Buy hey, fucking things up & Australian Rugby goes together like peas & carrots.

I cant see the womens side of the game being fully professional for a long time. Its a problem of finances, depth, & the lack of relocation mobility for womens players.

PS. @WCR the president team looks kinda like a development side. I know a couple of the players. They will be massive underdogs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Finally, a place to talk about how good the Waratahs are in 2021!

Great first up win although they should have probably been a bit more ruthless in the back end of the match.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Western Force Super W squad and fixtures revealed
May 27, 2021
The Western Force squad, fixtures and venues have now been set in stone for the 2021 Buildcorp Super W season, with the Force drawn in Pool A alongside the ACT Brumbies and Queensland Reds.
Read more...

View attachment 12339

Hey ForceFan, I remember from a previous season a young gun who scored some very exciting tries. Can't remember her name but don't recognise it from the names above. Do you know who I'm talking about?, and if she is still around?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, they are the best squad and I think they will make up 75% of the Wallaroos. But I wasn't displeased with the Reds given how many rookies we had.

A good playmaker in womens rugby is so crucial. They invariably have the size up front and speed out wide, but they don't always have someone who can string together a game plan. Bella McKenzie is the closest I've seen to that for a while (although I don't mind Ella Ryan at the Brumbies).

Maya Stewart is a freak, young Vella looks super promising but you'd still like to get more our of Murphy. Georgia Friedrichs is a such a key signing and should also make her Wallaroo debut this year (with Maya). Chancellor looked back to her best while Hamilton was excellent. Piper Duck is one to watch too. Have been a fan of Naigama for a while and expect her to be another Wallaroo debutant. Karpani is kinda like Tupou. Such a dynamic runner she needs to find her prop game. The scrum was strong, but I wouldn't mind seeing her running out wider.

For the Reds I thought the two leaders - Coby-Jane Morgan and Lucy Lockhart were excellent. Ivania Wong looked dangerous before injury. I thought Bree-Anna Cheatham was awesome up front and Aleena Greenhalgh was terrific in the lineout and worked hard elsewhere. The rookies were very good - Codey, Molloy, 18 year old Ngatupuna, Seumanutufa in the centres. The bench was very good too, and Em Bass at the back caught the eye. My comments about McKenzie were what let QLD down I thought - our flyhalf, Lealiffano, just couldn't get the game happening for us and most the ball we go was not used well

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hey ForceFan, I remember from a previous season a young gun who scored some very exciting tries. Can't remember her name but don't recognise it from the names above. Do you know who I'm talking about?, and if she is still around?

Courtney Hodder. Came to Brisbane, works for BJRU, had a great year last year (one of the best runners with the ball in the game) but is also an AFL player and actually had an awesome year for the Brisbane Lions this year

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Courtney Hodder? She moved to AFLW and plays for the Brisbane Lions.

todd4

Jim Clark (26)
Courtney Hodder. Came to Brisbane, works for BJRU, had a great year last year (one of the best runners with the ball in the game) but is also an AFL player and actually had an awesome year for the Brisbane Lions this year

Yes, that's her. Thanks for the reply. I'm glad she didn't just drop out of sport altogether.