• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2022 Bledisloe Cup. Wallabies vs All Blacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
The only two areas where we might just have had the edge on the ABs was McReights on the ball presence and the length of Hodges boot.
And at a push Swains maul defence.
Yet we put them on the bench and pick a starting lineup that man for man loses every matchup.
What’s our tactic - hope the kiwis have an off night??
I just don’t get it

Reactions: dru

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The only two areas where we might just have had the edge on the ABs was McReights on the ball presence and the length of Hodges boot.
Yet we put them on the bench and pick a starting lineup that man for man loses every matchup.
I just don’t get it
Eh I’m a pessimist but that’s nonsense. Our props are better, our 8 is more experienced and has actually been playing top flight rugby recently. We have a genuine 6, not a lock at flank. Koroibete can actually track a man in défense unlike Jordan. Our coaching is better. Yeah we’re probably fucked but have some pride

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I’m a believer.

Our boys are going to run out to a packed house and put the sword to these Kiwi bastards!

Go get ‘em boys!

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I just don’t get it
Playing devil's advocate ................

McReight maybe good for two turnovers per half at best, but Samu isn't crap and maybe budgeted for one - but has benefits in his acceleration into contact and a greater likelihood of front foot ball

And why is a long boot good against one of the best kick return team in the world going to add much? Possibly for line kicks we may end up with a few more metres

And Swain's maul defence against a side who doesn't maul much?

dru

Tim Horan (67)

McReight maybe good for two turnovers per half at best, but Samu isn't crap and maybe budgeted for one - but has benefits in his acceleration into contact and a greater likelihood of front foot ball

And why is a long boot good against one of the best kick return team in the world going to add much? Possibly for line kicks we may end up with a few more metres

Interesting take. We will see.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)

I think Samu is a very, very good player but McReight gets metres past the gain line constantly and has an extremely effective linking and passing game. Samu would pleasantly surprise me if he was able to slow down the NZ attacking breakdown half as much.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Interesting take. We will see.
mmm ...... I am more concerned about the pigs successfully competing as a unit for 80 minutes - we have history of picking "mobile" pigs, being competitive for a while before the ABs flick the switch and go straight up us; and whole team cohesion in defence, so many changes

Reactions: dru

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Sure, that's one way of looking at it. The other is his support play has been fantastic and has lead to him being in the right spot at the right time for a couple of his tries.

They're different players and I still think Samu got the nod ahead so we have 4 jump options; Holloway, Phillips, Leota and Samu.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think Samu is a very, very good player but McReight gets metres past the gain line constantly and has an extremely effective linking and passing game. Samu would pleasantly surprise me if he was able to slow down the NZ attacking breakdown half as much.

I agree to some extent. McReight seems to be the better player (and more potential) compared to Samu over more categories. I would say pilfers and work-rate being the primary ones.

Although I disagree around getting past the gain line constantly. McReight is very good at running good lines on front foot ball but metres in tight I would say is quite poor for international standards. He is still a small and average into contact in my opinion. Samu is stronger in the contact zone has very good footwork in tight.

I would say McReight is better on front foot ball but Samu is better from a stand-still. But both are good.

What really worries me is the workrate difference. I hope Samu and the backrow step up in this category.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Sure, that's one way of looking at it. The other is his support play has been fantastic and has lead to him being in the right spot at the right time for a couple of his tries.

They're different players and I still think Samu got the nod ahead so we have 4 jump options; Holloway, Phillips, Leota and Samu.

Surely Valetini is a option in the line-out by now. If not, why not? He is clearly a long-term option in the back-row and should be up-skilling in this area.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)

I can agree with this but I would say I think Samu's speed and acceleration is most effective when he comes on to a tiring field and he ups the ante.

If we can manage to get some sort of lead though I could see McReight being very effective in close out situations off the bench by putting the clamps on rucks and forcing the other team to be aware of the threat.

tragic

John Solomon (38)

When you pick a 10 who historically struggles to kick the ball out of our 22 maul defence is pretty important.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Surely Valetini is a option in the line-out by now. If not, why not? He is clearly a long-term option in the back-row and should be up-skilling in this area.

He is always the option for the 1st crash run off it or sometime the one over the top. Leota has played lock & is tall enough to be a line out option.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
There is some merit in starting Samu and finishing with a very fast backrow of Samu, McReight and Valetini………if all goes to plan. Being that NZ are without Ardie Savea and are playing a lock at 6, McReights speed and effectiveness at the breakdown may have been a bonus in establishing parity there. Samus ability in close contact may help initially in a similar way.
Really not sure what to make of this side but hoping for the best and as always will be behind them.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The fast finishing theory only works if we are still in the game during the back end.

I think McReight provides a better point of difference from the start to give us an edge. No use having him come on late if the game is over.

Anyway, as usual, we aren't the coaches and haven't seen what these guys are doing at training etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.