• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2022 Bledisloe Cup. Wallabies vs All Blacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
There is some merit in starting Samu and finishing with a very fast backrow of Samu, McReight and Valetini………if all goes to plan. Being that NZ are without Ardie Savea and are playing a lock at 6, McReights speed and effectiveness at the breakdown may have been a bonus in establishing parity there. Samus ability in close contact may help initially in a similar way.
Really not sure what to make of this side but hoping for the best and as always will be behind them.

The fast finishing theory only works if we are still in the game during the back end.

I think McReight provides a better point of difference from the start to give us an edge. No use having him come on late if the game is over.

Anyway, as usual, we aren't the coaches and haven't seen what these guys are doing at training etc.

McReights breakdown work didn't exactly help in our losses against SA or Argentina. I think Rennie's view is that winning the breakdown starts at winning the initial contact. Which is where Samu is better.

Not even David Pocock is going to help us if we are constantly losing the initial hit. I think Ireland and SA with there recent wins showed how important this was in the current game.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I just looked it up, it's been 12 years since the Wallabies played the All Blacks in Melbourne. For all those complaining about the game being in Melbourne that's quite a long time in between games. That was also the last time Melbourne had a rugby championship/Tri nations game.
I was trying to think of the last top tier games we've hosted here. France doesn't count, maybe there have been England tests at some stage, but the most recent I can think of was the 2013 Lions test.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I was trying to think of the last top tier games we've hosted here. France doesn't count, maybe there have been England tests at some stage, but the most recent I can think of was the 2013 Lions test.
You guys can keep the Bled.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Why doesn't France count?

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
I have to agree with Rennie's assessment of McReight, but it was obvious prior to the South Africa series even that he didn't come off well in the collisions as he's fairly small. I thought prior to either South Africa game they might replace him for Samu or someone larger. If we are talking horses for courses he's probably a more useful player against the AB's than South Africa. Either way basically none of 4,5,6,7 are terribly worse than their replacements so not a big difference.

I can't say I can tell what Rennie sees in Tom Wright to be a perpetual starter other than durability. So many brain cramps and he doesn't have the X-factor to make up for them. It isn't like he's making errors, but otherwise looks like a prime Izzy Folau out there. He's making errors and looking like Rob Horne. I'd prefer Hodge at 15 and Kellaway at wing as Hodge at least is relatively error free and has a laser canon of a leg.

Win or lose I hope the Wallabies and the ABs play good exciting rugby and the game is close.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I'm trying to work out why Suli Vunivalu isn't in the starting side .
RA pays a small fortune for him & then doesn't use him.
especially with Wright having brain farts.
(maybe because he's a Reds player;))

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
They really don't, at least not in my books. It's Bledisloe, Saffers and Lions as tier one tests, probably England in there too.
So your talking draw card games, England and Ireland both sold out AAMI park.

I did skip the last France game, previous one was so horrible I couldn't bare the thought of it possibly happening again. France, Wales and Fiji all got average crowds.

Lions sold out both test and tour game. Been a long time since SA played in Melbourne. 1998 I think it was, was the first test match my dad ever took me to, World champs v future world champs.

I remember a conversion being charged down, only time I have ever seen it happen live.

Reactions: Tex

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I'm stoked to be going to a sell out at Marvel Stadium, regardless of the sport. It's a great atmosphere when the crowd is up and about. Just hope we get some exciting footy and close result to light that fuse.

KiwiM

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm trying to work out why RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck) isn't in the starting side .
NZR pays a small fortune for him & then doesn't use him.
especially with Havili having brain farts.
(maybe because he's a Blues player;))

Fixed ;)

In all seriousness I can see why RTS (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck) isn't playing - he's been a mixed bag in NPC - feels like a wasted roster spot though.

Vunivalu caused Caleb Clarke all sorts of problems in Super Rugby this year. He must be close to getting a run.

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Rennie mustn't like what he sees in training.
well why have him there then? Thought our wallabies were the best we had after proving themselves at lower levels NOT a bloody development squad / school.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Really hoping the All Blacks adopt a sensible territory based/post-season Crusaders approach aiming to strangle the Wallabies and keep them defending deep in their own half. Four strong lineout targets, and not-Taylor throwing, combined with Schmidt's current vertical attack (this seems to be the chic parlance) means the chances are good.

EDIT: And hope to see the phase attack continuing to evolve after a few more weeks of work. Assuming the forwards will also continue to improve and really hope Sotutu has a strong match.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Didn't Vunivalu play club rugby and look fairly average recently?

Looked slick in attack, but defensively his reads were meh, got pinged for a few high shots and ended up with a yellow card for one of them.

I mentioned on the QPR forum recently why isn't he playing in the GF this weekend for Wests, apparently they forgot to register to him at the start of the year (probably assumed he'd be playing Wallabies) which means he isn't eligible to play finals. Pretty insane.

Essentially the big name signing (who's fit and ready to go) hasn't been required to play any rugby for the last 3 weeks.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
well why have him there then? Thought our wallabies were the best we had after proving themselves at lower levels NOT a bloody development squad / school.

Which other winger should be there then?

It's not like everyone in the squad gets selected.

It can both be the case that Vunivalu deserves to be in the squad but isn't doing enough to make the 23.

As for Wright, this has probably been his best season of test rugby. Aside from the second Argentina test he's been pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.