• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2022 Bledisloe Cup. Wallabies vs All Blacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
My thoughts are that had Australia succeeded in slowing the game down and won ,the Aussie's would have called that a great victory,
but in reality it would be poor sportsmanship as you are not allowing your opponent to play.
Some say it's the first time it's happened but I think it's an excellent piece of refereeing to stamp cheating out of the game and I would have no hesitation in recommending that ref for the RWC.
It would have been a great victory because of the way the Wallabies came back the way they did after having a couple of cards.

But I agree, time-wasting is poor sportsmanship. And I personally don't like that sort of thing. But it may be a bit strong to accuse Foley of cheating. Pushing the boundaries, maybe. But he was about to kick it when the ref pulled him up. Seriously, the ref should have just said, 'if you don't kick it in 5 seconds, you will lose it'.

Anyway, we need to learn from it now, and make sure it doesn't happen again.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
I was saying that complaining about What this decision and the end result does to the game in aus in general isn’t really a relevant argument, 90% of the rugby world doesn’t care.
I agree that it’s a bad call but I really do just have a big problem with the ample warning he got. That component is a bit farcical to me. People have said they will watch NFL instead. In NFL that’s a delay of game penalty all day long and the player does NOT get a warning from the refs. I just find the outrage ridiculous to be honest and absent that outrage I’d have posted my usual once a month rate.
how do you argue with all that warning?

But in Australia we do care. We have to get our own market in place before we start taking over the world, and we are a loooooooooooooooooooong off that.

in terms of the ample warnings, really? Its a nonsense argument. Foley could have taken an hour to kick it, but the result would still have been the same, a line out where the All Blacks could contest (and we all know where that could end .....) It was totally unnecessary under any circumstance
Its not a penalty offence - so yeah, not that lucky.

dont you love it when some smarty pants butts in and turns out they don't know what they are talking about. Must be a 12 year old.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
In other words, I’m morally superior to all you psychologically damaged Aussie fans ;)

It must be hard when your team is 95% swings and only a couple of roundabouts. We all know rugby is the pride of NZ. If the ABs were to lose as much to the Wallabies, there would be no congratulations; it would be absolute mayhem in NZ. The nation would be depressed to the core. And I highly doubt you would be any different to the rest of us.

To be sure, Aussies can be very sore losers. But kiwis are not morally superior in this area.

Having said all that, I still think you’re a good bloke and I enjoy reading your comments.
Mate how you can take that out of my post is beyond me, I say same to anyone whether they Kiwi, Aus, Welsh. There is absolutely no way I have ever said or would say our fans are better or worse, in fact I believe we have a lot of poor so called fans who only get on a winning train. Look at a number now, we still have a pretty reasonable team, but have been caught by the pack so lose games. A lot of our fans (and read them here) scream and yell it's the coaches fault, players are useless etc, and for get to give opposition due praise. I have alwaysposted same way, we don't just lose we get beaten, as happens in sport. Mate no fans from any country are superior to others especially casual ones.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Pretending to be tripped by Wright when the replay showed he never touched him. Led directly to a yellow card

but the abs never do it
He never pretended to be tripped. He is reaching down to clear the ball and Wright - who is on the lying on the wrong side of the ruck seems to make some kind of grab at Smith.

It's at around 1:41:53 on the Stan replay.

No back flips and no trip. Just 2x clear card offences....

Not remotely close to Nic White's complete farce against SA and FF (Folau Fainga'a) pretending he has sustained a neck or head injury.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
My understanding is that the referee can call time off at any time he likes. If my assumption is true (it used to be that the referee was the sole judge of time) Raynal should have called time off, told Foley to kick the bloody thing, and then called time on.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Are we going to have another day of this hysterical nonsense?
458bf27e-eba3-4dec-a8df-4bdfe2d2140b_text.gif

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
It’s a near given that we will lose at Eden Park.

Big games like this are extremely mentally draining and we’ve seen how powerful emotion has been in this Rugby Championship.

This wasn’t a poor Wallabies performance - so there’s no motivation to respond after a lacklustre effort or an underpressure coach.

I reckon the boys will be pretty deflated.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It’s a near given that we will lose at Eden Park.

Big games like this are extremely mentally draining and we’ve seen how powerful emotion has been in this Rugby Championship.

This wasn’t a poor Wallabies performance - so there’s no motivation to respond after a lacklustre effort or an underpressure coach.

I reckon the boys will be pretty deflated.

The ABs tend to bounce back after a loss, which is not this case. The emotional trend may well be with the Wallabies. I'd hope there is plenty of cranky to be stoked. We'll need every bit of energy there is at Eden Park.

ArmchairGeneral

Ward Prentice (10)
I’ll kick it off (logging in after years) it’s been three days and I still extremely despondent. Looking forward to the Doggies win improving my mood

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Two days in the back blocks with no TV or Wi-Fi so I've missed ten pages of comments but I see Swain's been cited so it seems maybe it wasn't quite so accidental/ incidental as some were making out (& presumably still are).
Getting cited has absolutely nothing to do with the intent judgement. That'll be up to the judiciary.

There's still absolutely no way he intended to injure a player. Fuck me, he's a professional - it doesn't happen.

Last edited:

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Two days in the back blocks with no TV or Wi-Fi so I've missed ten pages of comments but I see Swain's been cited so it seems maybe it wasn't quite so accidental/ incidental as some were making out (& presumably still are).

No, it just means he's been cited. The evidence will determine the rest. Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong. Keep your powder dry, you can gloat later.

Reactions: dru

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
Getting cited has absolutely nothing to do with the intent judgement. That'll be up to the judiciary.

There's still absolutely no way he intended to injure a player. Fuck me, he's a professional - it doesn't happen.

Unlike in the amateur days where guys like Loe made a living out of it. Apparently so well respected he became a tv pundit, incredible.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)

You would hope not but there have been professionals in the past who have done just that.
I agree with you though. There was no intent to injure but its was exceedingly clumsy and he will most likely be made a scapegoat of. Tupaea had his legs as wide as they could go without actually doing the splits. Thats an injury waiting to happen no matter which direction he gets hits from.
Swain is not the smartest but he has good skills and will only get better, if he can stay on the park.

Status
Not open for further replies.