• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2022 Bledisloe Cup. Wallabies vs All Blacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
What a roller coaster ride. All Blacks patchy with plenty of really promising signs of getting back to greatness. And plenty of patches not so.

Wallabies start, at both halves, again dire. Though second half did have a numbers issue. All Blacks playing a possession theme is different for me, and our guys don't do well when starved of the ball for long periods. BUT we also had enough sensational work to come back and be in a position to win.

Foley bumbled and stuffed up his D as he gradually got his head back into test rugby. We should give him space for that, it's been a while. His D, positionally not just the tackle itself seems to come from an era where the Fly Half was protected. I don't mind that strategy but unfortunately it isn't the game plan today. And with all that he stayed cool, worked the role to the game plan and was entirely involved in the turnaround. Great return game from the bloke. Pop gun boot, but he has learned to get heaps out of it.

In general, the ref worked an often pedantic interpretation which seemed intended to allow the game to flow better. Plenty of that interpretation worked for us even if there were plenty of problems. Back to back territory gifted to the ABs etc. Which of course eventually worked for us as much as against us. I don't mind the interpretation. Line outs were clearer, scrum officiating mostly seemed understandable, rucks were less infringed.

Count me with the fans who see Swain's infringement as unintended, but that group, including myself, must hear the very strong voice from both camps that says we are wrong. I wish him well but can't doubt the YC and the review will be of interest. The AB tackle lift though?

Anyway, the ref was certainly different to what we usually see, but on the whole had a specific idea of how he wanted things that I don't mind. Until that closing stage. Let's not forget that he had already had the balls to interrupt over play in the count down to the clock - a couple of times both ways - in a situation where many refs would not want to impact the game conclusions. The Foley kick to me seems ridiculous. After the time out and warning, a whole 3s (I haven't measured this personally) to blow it up mid-kick? And determine the game outcome. Wow. I just can't see that as anything better than poor.

Though if it became a generic interpretation, watching time wasting at caterpillars, penalty shots, and goals - I'd go for it. In this case as a one-off? Not so much. So interesting performance from the ref, with a massive misapplication of what he was doing at the death-knell.

Awesome game from Kellaway and Valetini, also Samu and Koroibete. Gordon good too, albeit at times I wanted to launch onto the field with a hyperdermic filled with adrenalin targeting the guy's arse. But he did good. I've never been much impressed with Ikitau but recognise his work tonight.

As usual the Achilles heel is discipline. We can't simply put that down to the ref. It's a long term trend that is destroying the Wallabies and pushing us further down the rankings.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Raynall can go fuck himself and if World Rugby do nothing about this so can they. And no BR, this is not on Foley its on Raynall - it’s fairly clear Foley doesn’t hear him say ‘ten’ 3 seconds after calling time back on and even if he did he goes to kick it straight away.
Raynall is the same Ref who told Owen Farrell he could chat to his players, then immediately let the Welsh play on.

I'd be asking World Rugby to explain how this is an acceptable level of communication by an international Ref.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Referees used to regularly award a short arm against the team in possession when lineout throws were unduly delayed. I haven't seen any now for quite a few years. That doesn't alter the fact that many lineouts take longer from set to throw than Foley took with his non-kick. An absolute farcical decision but also on Foley for not being alert to the ref's instructions (taking the referee out of the game, anyone?).

That aside, I commented early on that this ref was officiating to his own set of Laws and the game didn't much resemble a normal rugby match. If WR (World Rugby) are serious, he will never get another game in his lifetime.

A couple of observations. Valetini again a massive game; Samu showed he can play a full 80 minutes at test match level; Kellaway had a strong second half and knows how to find the line (just needs to learn how to place the ball); the front row won the scrum battle; Holloway was again serviceable but imo should have been replaced instead of Philip; Petaia had his usual low impact.

For the ABs, I reckon Whitelock and Retallick are both yesterday's men and hopefully will continue to represent the ABs until after RWC 23 - they were very easily handled by our defence; Jordan is a one trick pony with his speed when put into the open. He will be found out as a bit of a pretender by the top sides over the next 12 months.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
What a roller coaster ride. All Blacks patchy with plenty of really promising signs of getting back to greatness. And plenty of patches not so.

Wallabies start, at both halves, again dire. Though second half did have a numbers issue. All Blacks playing a possession theme is different for me, and our guys don't do well when starved of the ball for long periods. BUT we also had enough sensational work to come back and be in a position to win.

Foley bumbled and stuffed up his D as he gradually got his head back into test rugby. We should give him space for that, it's been a while. His D, positionally not just the tackle itself seems to come from an era where the Fly Half was protected. I don't mind that strategy but unfortunately it isn't the game plan today. And with all that he stayed cool, worked the role to the game plan and was entirely involved in the turnaround. Great return game from the bloke. Pop gun boot, but he has learned to get heaps out of it.

In general, the ref worked an often pedantic interpretation which seemed intended to allow the game to flow better. Plenty of that interpretation worked for us even if there were plenty of problems. Back to back territory gifted to the ABs etc. Which of course eventually worked for us as much as against us. I don't mind the interpretation. Line outs were clearer, scrum officiating mostly seemed understandable, rucks were less infringed.

Count me with the fans who see Swain's infringement as unintended, but that group, including myself, must hear the very strong voice from both camps that says we are wrong. I wish him well but can't doubt the YC and the review will be of interest. The AB tackle lift though?

Anyway, the ref was certainly different to what we usually see, but on the whole had a specific idea of how he wanted things that I don't mind. Until that closing stage. Let's not forget that he had already had the balls to interrupt over play in the count down to the clock - a couple of times both ways - in a situation where many refs would not want to impact the game conclusions. The Foley kick to me seems ridiculous. After the time out and warning, a whole 3s (I haven't measured this personally) to blow it up mid-kick? And determine the game outcome. Wow. I just can't see that as anything better than poor.

Though if it became a generic interpretation, watching time wasting at caterpillars, penalty shots, and goals - I'd go for it. In this case as a one-off? Not so much. So interesting performance from the ref, with a massive misapplication of what he was doing at the death-knell.

Awesome game from Kellaway and Valetini, also Samu and Koroibete. Gordon good too, albeit at times I wanted to launch onto the field with a hyperdermic filled with adrenalin targeting the guy's arse. But he did good. I've never been much impressed with Ikitau but recognise his work tonight.

As usual the Achilles heel is discipline. We can't simply put that down to the ref. It's a long term trend that is destroying the Wallabies and pushing us further down the rankings.
Good contribution dru, articulates many of the thoughts and reflections I'm still too angry to offer.

Reactions: dru

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Amazing that a game with so many stoppages gets overturned on a 'speed it up' call by the ref with 2 mins to go. The TMO and assistent refs can see things nobody else sees but miss forward passes and don't check close to out touch downs.
Unlike many of you I enjoyed the game immensely as we found a fullback after not having one for a long time, I thought the pack fought back bravely. I like the combination of Foketi and Ikitau (although he had a quiet game).
I dislike Gordon as he farts around at the back of the ruck. Late in the first half I thought we would be in for a try, he took his good time and the opportunity disappeared.
I was not convinced we knew how to stop the AB's with 2 to go and we managed to commit suicide again.....

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Oh, and Foley. Despite some poor tackle misses and that last kick delay, he was much more effective than JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 and seemed to carry out the plan as Rennie would have wanted. Pity he won't be around for the whole of the year leading to the RWC but hopefully will be able to positively influence Noah's game while he's here.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
In a positive I think we may have landed on our first choice backrow last night, 6 Samu, 7 McReight, 8 Valetini looked very good as a unit. Pretty easy to slot Hooper back into 7 when he's ready there too.

Locks a bit of a mystery though, Holloway's game has deteriorated since his debut, but Swain should be out for a while and even if he's not I'm not sure he should be picked again. Probably Phillip/Neville next week, but neither are really 80 minute test players, at least right now.

I thought Leota was great before he went off injured. Workrate was high and even managed a pilfer. I would keep Samu 7, and Leota 6.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Oh, and Foley. Despite some poor tackle misses and that last kick delay, he was much more effective than JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) at 10 and seemed to carry out the plan as Rennie would have wanted. Pity he won't be around for the whole of the year leading to the RWC but hopefully will be able to positively influence Noah's game while he's here.

Take my hat off the Bernard, but I can't agree with your comparison to JOC (James O'Connor). Let's see how Noah reacts as he is the future.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Foley certainly improved as the game went on. The two try assists to Kellaway were both excellent. The first where there wasn't really anything on but he managed to bump through the defenders to get an offload away was superb. The second with the excellent cut out pass was also good.

His goal kicking was great, particularly under pressure.

The last bit was a debacle. Ignoring the referee, the Wallabies were all over the place there. The forwards weren't paying attention trying to work out what lineout call they were going to go with and Foley was turned around trying to get them to pay attention before he kicked. Foketi and others were then trying to get Foley to hurry up as they could see the referee was losing patience.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I thought Leota was great before he went off injured. Workrate was high and even managed a pilfer. I would keep Samu 7, and Leota 6.
Aside from the fact that he looks to be injured I'm still yet to see him put in more than a good 30 minutes or so. I think he's best suited to that style of impact role off the bench at this stage in his career.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Foley certainly improved as the game went on. The two try assists to Kellaway were both excellent. The first where there wasn't really anything on but he managed to bump through the defenders to get an offload away was superb. The second with the excellent cut out pass was also good.

His goal kicking was great, particularly under pressure.

The last bit was a debacle. Ignoring the referee, the Wallabies were all over the place there. The forwards weren't paying attention trying to work out what lineout call they were going to go with and Foley was turned around trying to get them to pay attention before he kicked. Foketi and others were then trying to get Foley to hurry up as they could see the referee was losing patience.
We're definitely not helped by being onto our ~3rd captain of the match by that point. Need a bit more clarity and control in those moments.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
What a game hey. Can't wait to see in what way the ref can make himself the centre of fucking attention next fluffybunnying week.

Wooo refs...i mean rugby

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Despite my bitter disappointment, I reckon this sets up the next clash really well. Given recent history, had the Wallabies won, chances are we'd cop a hiding at Eden Park next week. Now we'll go across the ditch with a point to prove. We still might cop a hiding, but I reckon they'll be more up to the task.

While the Bledisloe is lost, it would be good to chalk up a win on their turf and get that monkey off our back.

Status
Not open for further replies.