• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2nd Test Wallabies v France 8pmTuesday 13th July,

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
While Valetini does bend the line in attack and defence he is also hard to shift when he’s sealing and has improved his clean out work.

The problem with playing that sort of game though is you do a lot of work that doesn’t get noticed.

He did make some really good shots when we were on our line though and I thought the ball came his way a bit more in the second half.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
It looks to me as though we really have to inject a bit of size into our forward selections. The last 15 or so minutes of the game were a bit scary, those huge French piggies looked bloody dangerous to me.

Our lineout was feeling the pressure. I would be really worried if I thought they were going to bring these behemoths on earlier.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story!

The French forwards were 50+kg lighter than our pack. Rewatch the scrums where they always seem to list the pack weights. Or maybe French kgs are not the same as ours.

The French just play like behemoths, they are not that big.

Even so, if we ever get a ref who controls the breakdown according to the laws, the French are going to incur a huge number of penalties.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
On that rush defence……….. it’s not like we don’t have strong ball carriers who can get us over the advantage line.

Again, stop with the predictable unders pass out wide when it isn’t on and dish out the short ball to Tupou, or Valetini or Wilson or Slipper or Koroibete or whoever else and smash it up the middle.
This + our often inaccurate/non-existant first clean-out is the reason we are being owned with the ball. Not the size of our lads. First to arrive in a good position often wins when it comes to the breakdown.

Ball runners hard at the advantage line with support on their inside hip makes for quick , front foot attacking ruck recycle. Hasn’t got to be done every time , but when you get the opportunity play to the bloke at the line rather than the totally predictable second man play, it asks a few more questions of the defence. The “second backline”, out the back play is consistently leaving us isolated behind the advantage line against an advancing defensive structure. Plus the French and would imagine every other top tier nation, are having very little problem reading and defending it.

It’s being compounded by our lack of a genuine second playmaker. MT very predictable and Banks not being a ball player leaves you with an unbalanced backline . You can probably argue individually they should all be there , but as a backline it’s not working.

The whole attacking structure is lacking eyes up rugby ……. too deep behind the avantage line and way too predictable.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story!

The French forwards were 50+kg lighter than our pack. Rewatch the scrums where they always seem to list the pack weights. Or maybe French kgs are not the same as ours.

I specifically referred to the final stages of the game, when a couple of man mountains came onto the field. Comprenez-vous?

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
One think I will say about Wright is he doesn't seem to be someone who comes across as un confident or in his own head. He had a bad game, leave it at that, his electric he has pace to burn and skills as well. I would probably play him again as we all know what his capable of.

Nah:(

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It’s be nice to see an analysis of that final scrum…………

From memory there was a Grand Canyon of space between our locks, with Naisarani’s arms outstretched attempting to stay bound at the back.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
The thing I noticed Slim was the way Ala'alatoa was set up to angle in before the engagement.

I don’t take too much note if these things, but I know a couple of other posters on here do so I was surprised it didn’t get a mention.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
France benched their own French Thor, Bamba, who came on and destroyed us in that crucial scrum.

I thought LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) was largely ineffective and Philip more reliable but it seems that Swain is the swap for Philip.

Uh, ok. Just pointing out Swain was one of the locks when our scrum got utterly dominated for the first time in the series. And it was his side that got smashed.

Reactions: TSR

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It’s be nice to see an analysis of that final scrum…………

From memory there was a Grand Canyon of space between our locks, with Naisarani’s arms outstretched attempting to stay bound at the back.

Bell's arse was a bit too high
Swain's shoulders were a bit too low
As the heat came on, Swain is trying to adjust his bind on LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), which means his bind on Bell is also crap, then as Bell's arse kicks out under pressure, Swain collapses in and down

That's all she wrote.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Bell's arse was a bit too high
Swain's shoulders were a bit too low
As the heat came on, Swain is trying to adjust his bind on LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), which means his bind on Bell is also crap, then as Bell's arse kicks out under pressure, Swain collapses in and down

That's all she wrote.
Can you please provide live commentary because i'm pretty sure there isnt another fluffybunny on earth who can tell what happens in a scrum.

Iris

Frank Row (1)
I don't think it was a size issue, rather the issue was speed to the ruck and inaccurate cleaning out, both compounded by the referees liberal interpretations of the rule around releasing the tackled player.

Many of the turnovers happened in open play when there was either no one to support the ball carrier, or the person who did was inaccurate in their cleanout.

I think the biggest problem for Australia at the Breakdown is they way we go into contact. Seems to be little to no thought about what comes next. Our players usually end up on top of the ball or in an awkward position and struggling to play the ball back. Have a look at what the French do. Nearly every time they are reaching out and placing the ball way back from the point of impact, making it easy for their support players to intitiate fast phases, and hard for Australia to get a turnover.

J

JeepsTragic

I think the biggest problem for Australia at the Breakdown is they way we go into contact. Seems to be little to no thought about what comes next. Our players usually end up on top of the ball or in an awkward position and struggling to play the ball back. Have a look at what the French do. Nearly every time they are reaching out and placing the ball way back from the point of impact, making it easy for their support players to intitiate fast phases, and hard for Australia to get a turnover.

I would have thought the French series was a good opportunity to give McReight a run. Insteaed that played the overpaid captain who looks great in the open but shirks the tough stuff inside.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would have thought the French series was a good opportunity to give McReight a run. Insteaed that played the overpaid captain who looks great in the open but shirks the tough stuff inside.

How many cleanouts has Hooper missed during the series?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
How many cleanouts has Hooper missed during the series?

Ask how many turnovers Hooper has. Go on!

SayTheLine.png

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
PSA for those who went to the game on Tuesday night…

Positive case attended the Wallabies match
A person with COVID-19 attended the France versus Wallabies rugby union match at AAMI Park on Tuesday night.

A company email seen by The Age and The Herald confirmed the case on Thursday night. The message said AAMI was working closely with contact-tracing teams to identify primary and secondary close contacts.