• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2nd Test Wallabies v France 8pmTuesday 13th July,

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
The damning statistic of the Rennie era is that we are yet to score more than two tries in a game. And we've now played seven games. Though that to me is a reflection less on coaching and more on linebreaking, tryscoring ability.

We're a team of good honest toilers but we're crying out for a Beale, Folau, Genia type who can do one or two brilliant things a game and conjure a try out of nothing much. JOC (James O'Connor) would help, Nic White would help, Vunivalu would help, maybe Petaia would too.
When did Nic White become this significant attacking presence/ threat btw? Our best/ most consistent tactical kicker has never been a huge running threat.

We're missing some punch and 'x-factor' in the backline - that's not going to be remedied by a scrum-half.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
20013 Kuridrani was a weapon but I don't think we're missing the current version.

If To'omua's role is to be that stabilising. calming and consistent presence in the backline he's not providing it.
MT was fucking ace in defence though, chopped his opposite in half a number of times 2 or 3 metres out from the line.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
None, imo. As discussed, Wright was carried by the backline but I would be more excited to see one of the Reds wings swapped in.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yes, preferably Daugunu. He brings a similar energy to Koriebete albeit he is not as accurate. However he is great at challenging at the breakdown and wins a lot of turnovers out wide.
He has genuine strike power.
I would bring Hodge into 12 or 15 depending on JOCs availability.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Most of the game our forward runners were static or barely moving and the French close defence is very good at one thing, clobbering people. Very few seemed to be setting to get the ball with some momentum, with a few exceptions - Slipper with one, Tupou and Wilson with a half break. It was easy pickings for the French. It did improve later in the game - you reckon it's all down to McDermott; it probably is just as much down to structures becoming looser - note Banks et al making some breaks through holes that wee not there earlier. I agree McDermott is playing better, hence my post earlier to start him and see if the front end of the game works as well for him.
The example used above was completely irrelevant and used as a cheap shot.

I wasn't going to respond Cyclo, but with your second post alleging a cheap shot, I have to say something. It was not a cheap shot at Jake. It was an example that really happened and which clearly contrasted with the clearances by Jake from the base of rucks. Put the two in the other positions and I'd be confident Jake would have fired a pass (probably at someone's head - now there's a cheap shot) on the open side of the ruck. It was as obvious as the proverbial nose that he simply passes from the ruck without looking to see where the defence is at its weakest.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
It looks to me as though we really have to inject a bit of size into our forward selections. The last 15 or so minutes of the game were a bit scary, those huge French piggies looked bloody dangerous to me.

Our lineout was feeling the pressure. I would be really worried if I thought they were going to bring these behemoths on earlier.

Something odd going on here Wamb. Both tests the Aussie scrum has significantly outweighed the French, around 50kg in test No 2. How is it that individually the French look so much bigger. Do they just play bigger?

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I think we may see Kellaway get a starting gig. He is a footballer as opposed to an athlete, as evidenced by his pop pass to Hooper …Has definitely improved from his lacklustre Waratah days. Gordon and McDermott may switch….think Toumua should have a rest…JOC (James O'Connor) hopefully is fit. Although Lolesio is still learning, not sure if he is the next serious 10. Great goal kicker yes… not sure on his playmaking. Talks it up, looks confident, arrogant even…just not sure…Harrison or Donaldson may surpass him next year …will be interesting…. Koroibete….what a legend…. Hooper …outstanding. I still can’t believe he has critics…. Banks definitely had his best game for a while…. Glad Rennie is the coach though, because I think he is very good, as is Scott Wisemantel….bottom line is the French played well and deserved to win …..if it wasn’t for keystone cop finish they would be 2 nil up…. Credit where credit is due…….The Wallabies definitely need to pick our best from overseas for the World Cup if we are fair dinkum about winning it… Looking forward to this Saturday though and may the best team win…..that is all.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I’d keep Valetini in, have him more involved infield earlier/maybe playing at 8 to see if he can have more involvements early on, despite the fact that he finished the game with some of the best attacking/defence stats in the pack…………. He put in some strong defensive work near our try line including tackling 3 consecutive French players in a row.

In saying that - playing wide he was first to a number of rucks in the first half and provided us with quick ball with some strong cleanouts, including back to back efforts on breaks from Koroibete and Paisami.

Still, want to see him hurting people midfield.

On a positive note - this group of 4 props we have are superb, and despite concerns over our lock stocks going into the series all 3 of them have performed well.

Overall many improved individual performances but just lacking in team cohesion/execution etc etc

An accurate summary of Valetini's involvements Slim. Mystifying how many don't see his efforts.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I wasn't going to respond Cyclo, but with your second post alleging a cheap shot, I have to say something. It was not a cheap shot at Jake. It was an example that really happened and which clearly contrasted with the clearances by Jake from the base of rucks. Put the two in the other positions and I'd be confident Jake would have fired a pass (probably at someone's head - now there's a cheap shot) on the open side of the ruck. It was as obvious as the proverbial nose that he simply passes from the ruck without looking to see where the defence is at its weakest.
I wasn't going to respond, but rubbish. Provide some data that his passes were going over heads / all over the shop by actually coding the passes in the game (it takes a while to do this - I know, I've actually done it before); the results will probably surprise you - then I will take anything you post vaguely seriously.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah France are playing a rush defence, which means you need either good tactical kicking, strong ball running centres or a second playmaker at fullback.

Realistically we don’t have any of those in the current selections

Noticed that Banks played first receiver quite a bit last night, particularly towards the end of the game. Maybe there is a move to try to combat the rush defence?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
An accurate summary of Valetini's involvements Slim. Mystifying how many don't see his efforts.
I watched the replay today and Valentini was one of our best. He got through a ton of work at the ruck and in defence. He put on some mammoth hits and many times 3 or 4 big tackles in a row. I look forward to seeing him in space with the pill but he is looking the part.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
On that rush defence……….. it’s not like we don’t have strong ball carriers who can get us over the advantage line.

Again, stop with the predictable unders pass out wide when it isn’t on and dish out the short ball to Tupou, or Valetini or Wilson or Slipper or Koroibete or whoever else and smash it up the middle.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I watched the replay today and Valentini was one of our best. He got through a ton of work at the ruck and in defence. He put on some mammoth hits and many times 3 or 4 big tackles in a row. I look forward to seeing him in space with the pill but he is looking the part.

Yeh also note in wallaby player ratings got a good score so I obviously missed a lot of his good work.