• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2nd Test Wallabies v France 8pmTuesday 13th July,

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
Back on to the support thing. That and our poor kicking have my main bugbears with Australian rugby. Has been for over a decade now.

Adam Ashley-Cooper has always been one of my favourite players of the post-2000's era. He himself wasn't particularly spectacular at anything. His real skill is that he was ALWAYS there in support. Someone made a break? He was almost guaranteed to be there to provide protection in the breakdown if tackled or in the right position to recive an offload and go on to score. That's how he got most of his tries. Not his brilliance, just BEING THERE in support.

If you watch the Wallabies RWC winning games, or games where Aussie teams won Super Rugby, you'll see it. The team is ALWAYS there immediately in the breakdown. No delay. There's always multiple players jumping in to the breakdown immediately. Or if someone makes a break there's multiple offload options for that player.

If you watch the Crusaders, when someone makes a break. By the time they get to the line there's minimum 2 often up to 6 players all running off each others shoulders. All ready to receive an offload, or if a tackle happens ready to change their line and get in to the breakdown immediately. The number of non-set-move tries where there's a try scorer and then 6 players each off the next person's shoulder in a receiving position.

As I said above, it's an attitude problem. We see someone making a break, our players think "I can sneak a breather" when they should be thinking "he needs runners / support". It perpetuates Australian international level, Super Rugby level, Club level. It's something we need to work on at all levels. It's something we need to fix at all levels. We shouldn't be trying to teach it only at international level as it appears was happening in this Wallabies squad.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Backs: Although I think Tate is better, I've left Gordon starting with Tate coming off the bench. He has been electric and believe he's more suited to closing the game.
Thoughts?

I thought Gordon was quite good last night (a massive improvement) , his issues were when the runners were too slow to reload and the lack of urgency in the kick chase, "contestable kicks" actually need to be contested

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Daugunu in for Wright is worth a shout. Who would have anticipated Wright being so shit? Something going on in his head perhaps. Or even just Kellaway, who i wouldn't have had any near the squad but seems a fairly safe option.

I think most of those other blokes you persist with. There was marginal improvement across the board I thought. Banks notably improved as the match wore on. Noah I thought actually had a pretty good game.

Valetini improved as well and got through a fair bit of work without any notable mistakes. He's not having the impact you'd hope such a giant human to have though.

I think it's safe to say the first game wasn't rust. This team has a long way to go and 'foot of the mountain' is 100% correct.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Daugunu in for Wright is worth a shout. Who would have anticipated Wright being so shit? Something going on in the is head perhaps. Or even just Kellaway, who i wouldn't have had any near the squad but seems a fairly safe option.

Wright suffers from an inability to find ways to inject himself into the game/get his hands on the ball early. From memory, Podcasts where Turuni, Drew Mitchell or Lote Tiquri have been on, they've all mentioned about getting involved in the game early to help adjust and settle the nerves.

From memory, it was right around when we were facing off to Caleb Clarke last year. Rather than starve Caleb of the ball, the kick off went straight to him without any pressure.

Wright should have been cutting more inside or sat off the hip of Lolesio/To'omua/Hunter for an inside ball and tried to mirror how Marika found ways to be busy.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wright's handling of a bouncing ball a real issue for someone who has been put forward as a fullback.

I think Tupou starts but plays longer. He's clearly in our top 3 players and deserves to play most of the game, even if AAA is a good player.

I never thought I'd say this but Michael Wells has a hell of a work rate. Perhaps he's a legit test option. In fact I'd consider starting Wells at 8 and Swinton at 6 with Wilson or Valetini on the bench.

I loved the work of LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) lately. His involvement is fantastic. Made great metres and topped the tackle count I believe. Philip looks injured - looked very uncomfortable running. I'd start Swain for him. Neville would be handy about now.

Tate deserves to start above Gordon who's passing was stilted and option taking poor.

I liked how To'omua mananged his way through the game but I too would like Paisami at 12 and Ikitau at 13. Daugunu for Wright.

Really keen to get Vunivalu back soon too.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Wright suffers from an inability to find ways to inject himself into the game/get his hands on the ball early. From memory, Podcasts where Turuni, Drew Mitchell or Lote Tiquri have been on, they've all mentioned about getting involved in the game early to help adjust and settle the nerves.

From memory, it was right around when we were facing off to Caleb Clarke last year. Rather than starve Caleb of the ball, the kick off went straight to him without any pressure.

Wright should have been cutting more inside or sat off the hip of Lolesio/To'omua/Hunter for an inside ball and tried to mirror how Marika found ways to be busy.
Wonder if he suffers from being in Marika’s shadow. Tried to mirror Marika’s bonkers play style and overcompensates. Should stick to simple stuff.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Daugunu in for Wright is worth a shout. Who would have anticipated Wright being so shit? Something going on in his head perhaps. Or even just Kellaway, who i wouldn't have had any near the squad but seems a fairly safe option.

Chill Wright's not in form - he's a talent and will get there.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I think most of those other blokes you persist with. There was marginal improvement across the board I thought. Banks notably improved as the match wore on. Noah I thought actually had a pretty good game.

Valetini improved as well and got through a fair bit of work without any notable mistakes. He's not having the impact you'd hope such a giant human to have though.

I think it's safe to say the first game wasn't rust. This team has a long way to go and 'foot of the mountain' is 100% correct.

I think I would prefer Kellaway because he is more of that 14/15 hybrid and they have learnt not to kick to Marika so who ever is on the opposite wing is going to be catching a lot

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It looks to me as though we really have to inject a bit of size into our forward selections. The last 15 or so minutes of the game were a bit scary, those huge French piggies looked bloody dangerous to me.

Our lineout was feeling the pressure. I would be really worried if I thought they were going to bring these behemoths on earlier.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
It looks to me as though we really have to inject a bit of size into our forward selections. The last 15 or so minutes of the game were a bit scary, those huge French piggies looked bloody dangerous to me.

Our lineout was feeling the pressure. I would be really worried if I thought they were going to bring these behemoths on earlier.
Macalou, the bloke they brought on in the final 20, I think number 21, stole our ball twice I think. Kane Douglas described him as the best line out jumper he’s ever played with. So he’s a bit of a special case I think.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Maybe this is me being fairly used to walking away from AAMI Park after a loss, but I was pretty happy with what I saw.

Exciting rugby, close game, big tackles and line breaks. Not sure what else you want on a Tuesday night?

Also very pleased to see a full house at a Wallabies game. It's been a few years between drinks!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Macalou, the bloke they brought on in the final 20, I think number 21, stole our ball twice I think. Kane Douglas described him as the best line out jumper he’s ever played with. So he’s a bit of a special case I think.
That doesn't make me feel better!!!

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
The difference to me Cyclo was that Tupou looked to see where the overlap was and sent the ball straight there. Jake's biggest downfall imo is that he invariably picks the side of the ruck with most defence to send the ball.

I felt like Jake and Slipper actually called for it, although I was watching live and didnt go back.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I don't think it was a size issue, rather the issue was speed to the ruck and inaccurate cleaning out, both compounded by the referees liberal interpretations of the rule around releasing the tackled player.

Many of the turnovers happened in open play when there was either no one to support the ball carrier, or the person who did was inaccurate in their cleanout.
Massive maybe the wrong word, I agree. Nasty, immovable fluffybunnys is what I meant! But as I said above, the clean outs were mostly poor all night. And the French were quite happy to loiter just enough in the wrong spot to generally slow everything a bit more. Can't remember where we've seen that before. ;)

Dusky W

Allen Oxlade (6)
Would like to see the following team on Saturday:

1. Slipper
2. BPA
3. Thor
4. Phillip
5. Swain
6. Swinton
7. Hooper
8. Wilson
9. Gordon
10. Please tell me JOC (James O'Connor) is fit? If not, Lolesio
11. Marika (Superman)
12. Paisami
13. Ikitau
14. Petaia
15. Banks
16. Kaitu'u
17. Bell
18. AAA
19. LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
20. Naisarani
21. McDermott
22. Lolesio/ To'omua
23. Hodge

Thoughts?

I'd leave Valentini in over Wilson as I think he is a more complete player. Valentini can clean out and protect the ball at the breakdown and occasionally get a turnover. Wilson gets everywhere but struggles to be effective at the breakdown, too often missing the cleanout or losing his feet and flopping (see the turnover that led to Penaud's try in the 21st minute; and the one on our first attacking phase).
I like Swinton as the angry workhorse at 6 but is Wells a better option? I haven't watched enough of him to say he is up to test level but he seems to play smarter (less likely to get carded) and is faster.
Is Petaia back from injury? I thought he wasn't available until the RC. But yes, bring him in if he's fit.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Maybe this is me being fairly used to walking away from AAMI Park after a loss, but I was pretty happy with what I saw.

Exciting rugby, close game, big tackles and line breaks. Not sure what else you want on a Tuesday night?

Also very pleased to see a full house at a Wallabies game. It's been a few years between drinks!
Did you get held back from entering until after the game started? That was weird. Also apparently only 20,000 which seems conservative.

But yes, great atmosphere, Richmond was heaving with gold.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I’d keep Valetini in, have him more involved infield earlier/maybe playing at 8 to see if he can have more involvements early on, despite the fact that he finished the game with some of the best attacking/defence stats in the pack…………. He put in some strong defensive work near our try line including tackling 3 consecutive French players in a row.

In saying that - playing wide he was first to a number of rucks in the first half and provided us with quick ball with some strong cleanouts, including back to back efforts on breaks from Koroibete and Paisami.

Still, want to see him hurting people midfield.

On a positive note - this group of 4 props we have are superb, and despite concerns over our lock stocks going into the series all 3 of them have performed well.

Overall many improved individual performances but just lacking in team cohesion/execution etc etc

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Well that was a great game. Firstly got to say how good it is to see French rugby so strong as if this is there second string team gees hate to face their first string team. In many ways taking a world game view was almost pleased France got the win as they have been very good in the two tests and feel this is a fair result and deserves to be heading to final test to decide the winner of the series.

I am actually not convinced about Gordon at this level and prefer to see White /McDermott. To'omua I feel not the answer but I may have bias thinking on previous games as saw odd good thing. Banks also another with his attacking run that led to a try - if he could do that more often may be convinced but felt he did enough this game to quell the push to drop him this game for sure. I guess it is more Banks needs to work out more how to inject himself is the key to be the real deal.

Valetini to me though been the disappointment vs expectations.I would like to see what Swinton could offer given Valetini been a little disappointing for me.

I also should add thought Noah had ok game and continues to improve which justifies comments that needs more time in the saddle and will only improve. Definitely would pick and stick with Noah if JOC (James O'Connor) not available after his last two tests.

His been used in a really wide channel, He had made an impact when he was brought in closer to the action, I would actually think him and Wilson's role should be reversed.