• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2nd Test Wallabies v France 8pmTuesday 13th July,

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Tupou put himself at 9 so I think all assumed he was going to pick and go. Why wouldn't the 9 stand off? Bit desperate to slag Gordon, who actually put himself wider where there was a space.

The difference to me Cyclo was that Tupou looked to see where the overlap was and sent the ball straight there. Jake's biggest downfall imo is that he invariably picks the side of the ruck with most defence to send the ball.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well that was a great game. Firstly got to say how good it is to see French rugby so strong as if this is there second string team gees hate to face their first string team. In many ways taking a world game view was almost pleased France got the win as they have been very good in the two tests and feel this is a fair result and deserves to be heading to final test to decide the winner of the series.

I am actually not convinced about Gordon at this level and prefer to see White /McDermott. To'omua I feel not the answer but I may have bias thinking on previous games as saw odd good thing. Banks also another with his attacking run that led to a try - if he could do that more often may be convinced but felt he did enough this game to quell the push to drop him this game for sure. I guess it is more Banks needs to work out more how to inject himself is the key to be the real deal.

Valetini to me though been the disappointment vs expectations...I would like to see what Swinton could offer given Valetini been a little disappointing for me.

I also should add thought Noah had ok game and continues to improve which justifies comments that needs more time in the saddle and will only improve. Definitely would pick and stick with Noah if JOC (James O'Connor) not available after his last two tests.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The difference to me Cyclo was that Tupou looked to see where the overlap was and sent the ball straight there. Jake's biggest downfall imo is that he invariably picks the side of the ruck with most defence to send the ball.
Front rower positions to pick up ball from ruck 1m out - you almost never see that.:rolleyes:
The 9 moves outwards into a space and the prop passes to him and they score a try.
You have to try pretty hard to make the leap to your post for the sake of a cheap whinge, but well done you. Another top contribution.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Changes for test 3:

Leota for Valetini
Kellaway for Wright
Ikitau for To'omua(Paisami to 12)
Swain for Phillip

If JOC (James O'Connor) is fit, then replace the halves with Tate/JOC (James O'Connor), otherwise continue to let Noah develop

Still not happy with Banks, but no suitable alternatives

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Changes for test 3:

Leota for Valetini
Kellaway for Wright
Swain for Phillip

If JOC (James O'Connor) is fit, then replace the halves with Tate/JOC (James O'Connor)

Only one I'm not sure about is Valetini, who I thought was better tonight. Like the rest.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not bad mouthing Hooper here at all, he did all he had to do to score but all of Lolesio, Banks and Kellaway did more to make the break and keep the ball in order to give Hooper the free run to the line.

Err he had to make sure he was there up with the play to make sure he could finish it. That is a weak snipe. I thought Hooper and Naisarani were very good tonight.

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Oh my god you guys... What did I say about oh if we lose this game having played our best side back to back that puts us under a LOT of pressure... bringing in some guys who haven't played much, or having to expect some of our guys who have put in mammoth efforts already to back up and go all out to try to get a series win ... in just 4 days.

Not happy JAN!

I think the Wallabies were probably the better team all in all, but France just made more of the fewer chances they had. I think a lot of those decisions to take the 3 could have / should have been to kick for touch to keep pressure on the French defense would have likely lead to 7 not just 3.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Only one I'm not sure about is Valetini, who I thought was better tonight. Like the rest.

Changes for test 3:

Leota for Valetini
Kellaway for Wright
Swain for Phillip

If JOC (James O'Connor) is fit, then replace the halves with Tate/JOC (James O'Connor), otherwise continue to let Noah develop

I did think Ikitau was excellent and definitely would start. That was what was most pleasing to see Ikitau could be the real deal with his second half display...as gees we need some more centre options...To'omua to bench please or outside of 23.

McDermott to start

I would also have Naisarani starting as thought he offered more physical go forward that was really needed.

Agree with Swain over Philip (latter to the bench).

Kellaway over wright. Nah

Swinton over Valentini - we need Swinton's physical presence as were outmuscled by French pack.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Oh my god you guys. What did I say about oh if we lose this game having played our best side back to back that puts us under a LOT of pressure. bringing in some guys who haven't played much, or having to expect some of our guys who have put in mammoth efforts already to back up and go all out to try to get a series win . in just 4 days.

Not happy JAN!

I think the Wallabies were probably the better team all in all, but France just made more of the fewer chances they had. I think a lot of those decisions to take the 3 could have / should have been to kick for touch to keep pressure on the French defense would have likely lead to 7 not just 3.

I actually thought the French were marginally better - outplayed us in the physical forwards game for sure.

Reactions: dru

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
France clearly outplayed us. Theyve obviously watched a few of our tests against England over the last five years and realised if they defend and execute basic skills we'll beat ourselves.

You'd think for a country reknowned for producing great 7s you'd also have the odd forward capable of cleaning one out.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Confidence looks shot, needs some club rugby or something to get his head back into it.

Ahh. Just like Gordon and To'omua last week. Both had shockers and were apparently down on confidence. Were they sent back to club? No. Rennie talked about consistency in selections giving them an opportunity to regain confidence and a bit of form.

And both of them improved quite a bit on last week's efforts. Personally, I don't think either should be in the starting side as there are better options, and being relegated to the bench is probably what should happen with them and Wright as well.

For all those posters who applaud the passing game from Jake, I'd suggest that was one of his weakest areas tonight. A lot of passes ill-directed at or above the receiver's head. My other criticism of Jake is that he doesn't seem to identify which side of the ruck is best to attack. Most of his play from the ruck was directed at the side the defence was strongest. Tate was better at this aspect tonight.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Id like to see the defensive turnover/penalty count Hooper got one for Aus, i suppose not many others because France rarely had the ball, whereas there were at least 5- 6 times when the Wallabies were turned over at the breakdown whilst in attack. Support work needs a lot of improving,

Unfortunately, that is one area where the Wallabies have been ultra consistent in recent years. We are consistently turned over a number of times at the tackle area while we are lucky to win one or two ourselves in a test match.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think this is spot on - I dont feel that To'omua is asking enough questions in attack at the moment and particularly the 10/12 combo isnt breaking the line enough. A 10/12/13 Combo of O'Connor/Paisami/Ikitau is worth trying next game. Paisami at 13 just running straight and hard isnt creating enough deception for what is a very good French defence.

Banks and Gordon were much better tonight. Whilst Banks hasnt had an outstanding Wallabies game at 15 yet he was safe and made good run/pass decisions tonight. Maybe thats the "confidence" game he needs. Gordons pass was excellent tonight and he was more decisive with less stepping before his pass.

Agree with all of that except about Jake's passing game. At times it was all over the shop, and he does still take too many steps before passing. Certainly improved over last week, but imo Tate is streets ahead.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Changes for test 3:

Leota for Valetini
Kellaway for Wright
Swain for Phillip

Happy with those suggestions - but I think we’ll see more changes than that given the 4 day turnaround.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Anyone got any ideas on why our attacking rucks stink?

You could see the downhill slide in the Tests last year, the alarming thing is it hasn’t been corrected. We are getting owned when we have the ball.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Anyone got any ideas on why our attacking rucks stink?

You could see the downhill slide in the Tests last year, the alarming thing is it hasn’t been corrected. We are getting owned when we have the ball.

I think it hasn’t been corrected because it’s just not something we are very good at, I.e. they probably work on it but there is only marginal improvement because to get it right we need bigger, more physical bodies. Skelton is one answer, Arnold is another.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
That’s a bonus

We’d have won tonight if we’d taken the easy points. It’s as simple as that.

Happens all to often. Hooper never learns.
Kills me every fkn time.

Top player who puts all in, plus 100 minute engine. Not an astute captain, though.

Doesn't have the happy knack of talking to referees, either. It's not in the kit bag.

Rennie is saying he will "use the squad" to change things up a bit for the next game.

I'd give the #8 a go with the captain's armband at Lang Park.