• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

3rd Place Play Off - Wallabies v Wales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedCard

Peter Burge (5)
Wales (with Australia receiving home bias weighting)
Win by less than 15 points
Wal 84.778
Aus 82.812
Wales move temp to 4th
Australia to 5th
France to 2nd

Loss by less than 15 points
Wal 80.778
Aus 86.812
Wales remain 6th
Australia stay 2nd
NO CHANGE

Win by more than 15 points
Wal 86.617
Aus 80.973
Wales move temp to 2nd
Australia to 6th

Loss by more than 15 points
Wal 80.617
Aus 86.973
Wales move to 7th
Australia stay 2nd
Ireland to 6th

That's from Scumv. A member worked that out. Wales can go from anywhere from 2nd to 7th in one game. Not sure how they have got "home weighting" on it.

Can't see it being a big margin win for either team so looks like no ranking movement but swap of points on the card.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
France could get 2nd in theory........ until they get their arse handed to them on a plate by the AB's 2 days later (although the irb don't change the rankings over the weekend). Oz could drop to something like 5th with the double points on offer. Over 3 points to loose for them. Wales could drop to 8th I believe. Think they could reach 3rd or might even be second though. Crazy really that one team is going to drop dramatically for progressing further in the competition. Wales could be positioned next to Tonga at the end of the RWC :nta:

Highlights how ridiculous the Ranking system really is.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Dead rubber - huh. never - We both have a hoodoo break.

24+ years since we won at Eden Park; thank you Greg Cornelson for your 4 tries.

Wales has NEVER won at Eden Park.

Mind you the Paddy's had never won there either before they played us.

RedCard

Peter Burge (5)
Dead rubber - huh. never - We both have a hoodoo break.

24+ years since we won at Eden Park; thank you Greg Cornelson for your 4 tries.

Wales has NEVER won at Eden Park.

Mind you the Paddy's had never won there either before they played us.

Pity it's not Rotorua for old times sake :rolleyes:

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I thought the purpose of a RWC, apart from making money for the IRB now that they have worked out the Australia and NZ were actually onto a good concept in suggesting it, was to establish the top team and the 2nd 3rd and 4th teams.
If its not to do that then you may as well not play for bronze and just let the ranking system do it all.
Australia might do well to ignore the rankings as it only seems to give us a false sense of security.

RedCard

Peter Burge (5)
I thought the purpose of a RWC, apart from making money for the IRB now that they have worked out the Australia and NZ were actually onto a good concept in suggesting it, was to establish the top team and the 2nd 3rd and 4th teams.
If its not to do that then you may as well not play for bronze and just let the ranking system do it all.
Australia might do well to ignore the rankings as it only seems to give us a false sense of security.

I think it's best for all teams to ignore it. Way to many flaws. With Oz making it to the last 4 it could result in you guys dropping to your worst ranking in quite a while and further down than where you started the tournie. Wales could hit their highest ranking (although extremely unlikely) so a bit harder to ignore........ novelty factor and all that.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think it's best for all teams to ignore it. Way to many flaws. With Oz making it to the last 4 it could result in you guys dropping to your worst ranking in quite a while and further down than where you started the tournie. Wales could hit their highest ranking (although extremely unlikely) so a bit harder to ignore........ novelty factor and all that.

I loves novelties! Still think the prospect of dropping to 7th is pants tho

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Wales (with Australia receiving home bias weighting)
Win by less than 15 points
Wal 84.778
Aus 82.812
Wales move temp to 4th
Australia to 5th
France to 2nd

Loss by less than 15 points
Wal 80.778
Aus 86.812
Wales remain 6th
Australia stay 2nd
NO CHANGE

Win by more than 15 points
Wal 86.617
Aus 80.973
Wales move temp to 2nd
Australia to 6th

Loss by more than 15 points
Wal 80.617
Aus 86.973
Wales move to 7th
Australia stay 2nd
Ireland to 6th

That's from Scumv. A member worked that out. Wales can go from anywhere from 2nd to 7th in one game. Not sure how they have got "home weighting" on it.

Can't see it being a big margin win for either team so looks like no ranking movement but swap of points on the card.

Its a good system when you can lose 2 games in 6 weeks, finish 3rd and be ranked 2nd: I'm sure other sports will be looking at how they can work this into their own ranking system

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Off topic Mr Blue - Nice signing picking up Henson. Not sure on the 10 jersey but hell of a centre partnership with Roberts potentially.

Saw that last night. will be good. D'yew see on gwlad someone published the accounts for Scarlets? Losing a cool 2 million per year. the blues apparently pulled a crowd of 1500 for dragons match. this isn't sustainable.

the other thing I noticed was that WRU seem to be packing the international calendar so full that the welsh team might as well be on contract.

RedCard

Peter Burge (5)
I think they have discussed central contracts again very recently. Don't go on Gwlad but know the Turks accounts have been dismal for a few tears now. Accounts are always way out of date though.

Hopefully some of this new attitude of the current Welsh squad will lift the regions and get the crowds in. Most decent games being televised live never help I guess.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think they have discussed central contracts again very recently. Don't go on Gwlad but know the Turks accounts have been dismal for a few tears now. Accounts are always way out of date though.

Hopefully some of this new attitude of the current Welsh squad will lift the regions and get the crowds in. Most decent games being televised live never help I guess.

I think that central contracs are inevitable and have already been factored in. the benefits of players being together like the australians are obvious to all but the diehard regionalists. the challenge is to make sure that the contracts go to the best players and there is still a route for renewal.

Status
Not open for further replies.