• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

3rd Place Play Off - Wallabies v Wales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
I think it would be fitting if he were capped either prior to or after the game,it's a great milestone. Well done!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Congrats to Sharpie on the 100.

Anyone know if he will be granted some time in the sun after the game (a la Sir Richie) on this very special occasion (for him)?

As it is an IRB tournament that just happens to be being played in the Land of the Darkness, there is no reason why he should not be afforded a special after game presentation of his 100the Test cap by an appropriate Aust Rugby Legend. Why should our 100 gamer receive treatment any different from that which was afforded a bloke from the host nation.

Even if the nasty administrators of RWC NZ do not grant him his minute in the sun, who would be the most appropriate Legend to make the presentation at Eden Park on Friday? 2007 Inductee to the IRB Hall of Fame - Nobody? or perhaps our first 100 gamer and 2008 IRB Hall of Fame rejected nominee - Campo?

Congrats Sharpie. Fully deserved and a great servant of Oz Rugby.

What is the bolded bit about. I was of the belief that Campo was one of the first inducted into the HoF in 97 after his retirement?

J

Jay

Congrats to Sharpie on the 100.

Anyone know if he will be granted some time in the sun after the game (a la Sir Richie) on this very special occasion (for him)?

As it is an IRB tournament that just happens to be being played in the Land of the Darkness, there is no reason why he should not be afforded a special after game presentation of his 100the Test cap by an appropriate Aust Rugby Legend. Why should our 100 gamer receive treatment any different from that which was afforded a bloke from the host nation.

Even if the nasty administrators of RWC NZ do not grant him his minute in the sun, who would be the most appropriate Legend to make the presentation at Eden Park on Friday? 2007 Inductee to the IRB Hall of Fame - Nobody? or perhaps our first 100 gamer and 2008 IRB Hall of Fame rejected nominee - Campo?

Eales would be perfect surely. Lock, Queenslander etc.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'd love to see Quade play really well alongside Barnes. It would be nice to see some light at the end of the tunnel for him at no.10.

Alternatively, I hope he plays terribly so that we can turn our attention to a new no.10.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
What is the bolded bit about. I was of the belief that Campo was one of the first inducted into the HoF in 97 after his retirement?

Different Halls of Fame. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRB_Hall_of_Fame I chose my words carefully. This is an IRB tournament, therefore about the only real chance of Sharpie getting his dues is if we appeal to the IRB to show some respect for a great milestone for one of their servants - without players what need is there for a board of Sir Nigel Snetterton-Smythes?

Would the NZRU or RWC NZ ltd be likely to grant a "foreigner" or non all black the respect that they deserve on the milestone of their 100th game on their watch, on their patch? If we try to "IRB"ise it as much as possible (whilst rataining max Aust imput) then in my warped little world, the bloated bureaucrats may feel that they may be able to do something positive for a change.

While rejected by the Nigel Nobody-Pigsnouters in the IRB, Campo is an inductee of the International Rugby Hall of Fame and the ARU hall of Fame, and IIRC the Australian Sport Hall of Fame.

Some more background info here:
The Wallaby Hall of Fame currently includes the following:
David Campese
Ken Catchpole
Des Connor
Sir Edward 'Weary' Dunlop
Mark Ella
Nick Farr-Jones
John Hipwell OAM
Tom Lawton Snr
Mark Loane
Tom Richards
Sir Nicholas Shehadie AC OBE
John Thornett
Cyril Towers
Col Windon

Not to be confused with IRB Hall of Fame, the International Rugby Hall of Fame (IRHOF) was created in 1997 in New Zealand and is run as a charitable trust with an address at Chiswick in London. Most of the trustees are also inductees. IRHOF accepts new inductees every two years. Most inductees are former players, but others who have contributed to the game are eligible.
The International Rugby Hall of Fame includes the following Wallabies;
David Campese
Ken Catchpole
John Eales
Mark Ella
Nick Farr-Jones
Tim Horan
Michael Lynagh

The IRB Hall of Fame includes:
John Eales
(David Campese and Mark Ella were an unsuccessful nominees in 2008, Ken Catchpole was an unsuccessful nominee in 2007)

The World Rugby Museum Wall of Fame (or Twickenham Wall of Fame), not to be confused with other Hall of Fames, was opened at the World Rugby Museum on 3rd June 2005 as a celebration of the best players from all over the world that have played at Twickenham Stadium. Wallabies in this Hall of Fame include:
David Campese
Ken Catchpole
Mark Ella
Nick Farr-Jones
Michael Lynagh
Cyril Towers
Col Windon

On the basis of recognition elsewhere, Michael Lynagh has to be odds on inductee. Tim Horan retired in 2000, not sure if this means has has "Been retired from Rugby for at least 10 years". I'd add Simon Poidevin to the list of potentials.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Different Halls of Fame. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IRB_Hall_of_Fame I chose my words carefully. This is an IRB tournament, therefore about the only real chance of Sharpie getting his dues is if we appeal to the IRB to show some respect for a great milestone for one of their servants - without players what need is there for a board of Sir Nigel Snetterton-Smythes?

Would the NZRU or RWC NZ ltd be likely to grant a "foreigner" or non all black the respect that they deserve on the milestone of their 100th game on their watch, on their patch? If we try to "IRB"ise it as much as possible (whilst rataining max Aust imput) then in my warped little world, the bloated bureaucrats may feel that they may be able to do something positive for a change.

While rejected by the Nigel Nobody-Pigsnouters in the IRB, Campo is an inductee of the International Rugby Hall of Fame and the ARU hall of Fame, and IIRC the Australian Sport Hall of Fame.

Some more background info here:

More chance now we don't matter, it is easier to be magnanimous when the game doesn't matter to you

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Before anyone points out that the list above attacehd to post 166 is out of date. Yes it is. That post is from the 2010 John Eales Medal Thread and was accurate at the time of that post.

I am now satisfied that my anti-pedant shields are in place tested and energised.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
I am now satisfied that my anti-pedant shields are in place tested and energised.

Reeeeally?

On the basis of recognition elsewhere, Michael Lynagh has to be odds on inductee. Tim Horan retired in 2000, not sure if this means has has "Been retired from Rugby for at least 10 years". I'd add Simon Poidevin to the list of potentials.

Has has? Des Hassler?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
It will be better but this is their first game (ignoring Russia for a reason) together since Paris as well so expect some rust.

G

goode

There will be some flip outs, won't there.

Incidentally, I would have like to see JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 for at least some of this game. It isn't going to happen with two centres on the bench.

I also want to see an attacking format where Barnes goes to 10 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) 12 so Cooper can range wider and set up the outside men. This could be very dangerous.

Couldn't agree more on JOC (James O'Connor), he has been a 12 at every level but he scores one try on the wing (vs AB's in Hong Kong) and he has been typecast as a winger when he isn't and the midfield could really use his play making ability

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I see from RWC site that France has leapfrogged to 3 in world and we are back at 6. Can they go to 2 if you were to lose friday?

RedCard

Peter Burge (5)
Looks like a decent Ozzie team to make a good game of it. Should be some good rugby on show.

I know Wales have got 2 looseheads starting with Adam Jomes off but they have a lot of weight behind them with Bradley and Ryan Jones coming in. Could still be telling. I know both lineouts have the odd wobble but Wales were shite last week. Was it just a blip under the circumstances or is it an area for Oz to attack. Backrow could be the telling point for Oz unless Wales can contain Pocock. They had the better of SA and Ire but now it could be their turn to suffer up against a proper fetcher. Plenty going on upfront and certainly as much out wide with these 2 teams.

England are the team who have probably best contained an in form Roberts a few years back by putting Worsley in the 10 channel on defence. Saying that, Roberts has a more advanced game these days so not as straight forward to combat. North still owes us a big one.

Don't know too much about a few of the Ozzies so will be good to see them in action.

Good luck.

RedCard

Peter Burge (5)
I see from RWC site that France has leapfrogged to 3 in world and we are back at 6. Can they go to 2 if you were to lose friday?

France could get 2nd in theory........ until they get their arse handed to them on a plate by the AB's 2 days later (although the irb don't change the rankings over the weekend). Oz could drop to something like 5th with the double points on offer. Over 3 points to loose for them. Wales could drop to 8th I believe. Think they could reach 3rd or might even be second though. Crazy really that one team is going to drop dramatically for progressing further in the competition. Wales could be positioned next to Tonga at the end of the RWC :nta:

Status
Not open for further replies.