• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AAGPS (NSW) Rowing 2013 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPS Contender

Stan Wickham (3)
The View crew looks ok but their heads will do them in before the season is out. My pick is Shore then New and Scots and possibly joyes fighting it out. new are struggling to find rhythm and the Pennington legacy remains. New coaches can only do so much it seams. What a shame in such a big year!

The GPS Rower

Herbert Moran (7)
yes, it seems newington is a bit off the pace. i believe shore have it in the bag. some solid performances sooo far. it will take a bloody good crew to beat them!

GPS Stroke

Bob McCowan (2)
Shore's bladework at the catch is iconic. View, New and Joeys will have to work on theirs if they want to be out in front.

HOTRwinner

Frank Nicholson (4)
honestly shore is looking pretty good! from my opinion it looks like they have it, but it is very early in the season, and peaking isn't in the picture right now! but the riverview boys need to get their act together and jump off their high horse!

The GPS Rower

Herbert Moran (7)
honestly shore is looking pretty good! from my opinion it looks like they have it, but it is very early in the season, and peaking isn't in the picture right now! but the riverview boys need to get their act together and jump off their high horse!

i don't believe its their "high-horse", i just believe their arrogant nature on the water will show in their results. Interesting to see how the coxswains cope with the corner this weekend at the GC, hope riverview don't meet the notorious pylon again....

The Yugoslavian Wolf

Herbert Moran (7)
i must say i will find it hilarious if riverview again have contact with our good friend the green pylon. Looking through the draw both 4's and 8's it seems as though newington has had significant stacking. i belive there is a few boys coming back from injury as my brother tells me, but a top 8 erger now resides in the 3rd four, could be interesting to see how they stack up against the rest. looking forward to a great couple of races tomorrow. see you out there fellas.

Wolf Out.

B

bowman1

After a great day of racing today at Riverview there are many things to comment on. Interesting to see Kings and Ignatius do so well today in the 1sts, Kings has shown massive improvement from last weeks results. As with Grammar who managed to knock of Joey's in the Semi. Anyone know what happened to the Shore 1st eight today? Very pleasing to see the New 2nd eight boys beat shore in the heat. Looks like it will be a very competitive season for the 2nds, with little between New, Scots, Ignatius and Shore.

The Yugoslavian Wolf

Herbert Moran (7)
Newingtons reselection trials could prove a turning point within both first and second eight boats. travelling up to grafton over the next week their results could prove to be an ultimatum for their coaches and rowers. After having won the main schoolboy trophy up there for the past 2 years in a row. With most of the injured boys now back in the crews it should be great to see how they go. Looking forward to a challenge from Kings and the other states schools for the title. keen to see how the holidays change things.

Wolf Out.

M

Mr Zu-T

Newington 4th IV, has backed up an outstanding race at the St Joseph's regatta, with an astounding 1km sprint, at Grafton, against the bow of TKS 2VIII bow four. The "ten on the legs" cry as they made a last ditch effort was something to be admired. Only to be nudged out by TKS, faster than you can say "Bob's your uncle", none-the-less. The podium achieved was well deserved. As the crews backed up for the VIII's later on, it seemed that the Newington crew was gased as they finished behind the pack. It also, however, seemed to have an affect on TKS VIIIs as they could record a W, and quite frankly look disappointing.

Paper

Frank Nicholson (4)
The GPS model is based on tradition not on high performance. Most GPS schools row since 187x, Kinross since 2004. They have produced plenty of high quality crews already. Not only their quads, but their 1st IVs, produced top results last year. A 6:44 in a 4+ at SIRC hasn't been done by any GPS crew in the last 5 years. Give them some time and they will show in the 8+.

And Kinross Wolaroi have, beating the 1st VIII's from Scots and St Josephs at the Loreto Normanhurst regatta (along with Brisbane Boys College). Just 1.25 seconds off claiming another scalp in the form of Riverview.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Grafton Update:

Newington have set newer and higher benchmarks for rowing with their depth now not residing in the 1st and 2nd 8 but all the way down into their lower 4's, with the 2nd 4 recording a 6:41 for 2000m, which is a fair result on the course and a generous p.b. for the crew. Also the 1st, 2nd 8's posting a second and a first, then a first and a first on the sunday showed the resilience showed by the boys and the squad as a whole.

Kings unfortunately did not scratch up to the mark in the 8's but did show how well 1st 8's can row in fours by demolishing the champion four races and win respective heats for the eights. my major concern for kings is their (actual) 4's who are not performing to the expected form and injury or sickness could blow their depth through and through.

Interesting to note that St. Joesphs and Iggies didn't compete, where did they go??? would've been great to see the north shore lads stick it and compete with the other GPS schools up there.

H

hotr2013

My Predictions:

1st VIII
I don't think that shore will win the 1st VIII division. They are no where near in the clear yet. only showing up to 2 races (winning both) and as the Newington 2nd VIII has shown shore eights ARE beatable. I predict the top 4 to be shore, Scots, new and Joey's (in no order). Given the amount of depth shown in the Newington shed I see them as big contenders for the Major Rennie, and Joeys and Scots have shown improvements with big promise for quick times in march. Shore has proven that they can move a boat fast, but only time will tell if they can continue to improve. Grammar and High haven't shown anything promising yet, but anything can happen. N.B Rumor has it that with both shore and joey's bow-rigging their eights, Kings, grammar and scots have all decided to do the same so 5/8 1st VIII's will be bow rigged, with possibly more by march.

2nd VIII
Newington's 2nd VIII has shown its strength both in Sydney and in grafton, but although they have beaten shore once, they are definietly not favorites to win at this stage, with shore still as favourites. Riverview and Scots are also up with a chance being well up there with New and Shore. Again, grammar and high nowhere near competitive.

1st IV and 2nd IV
Not sure about this one, pretty up in the open. Kings definietly do not have it in the bag, as the New 3rd IV knocked off their 1sts in grafton last weekend. I think you could count out the shore IV's as they are just not up the same standard as their eights I predict with selections over the summer anyone could win this one. Out of Kings, Riverview, Scots, Joeys and possibly even Newington could turn around their recent bad results, and pull it off in March.

3rd IV and 4th IV
Given previous results, St Ignatius and Kings have shown their dominance in the 3rd IV division. But with newington beating the kings 1st IV I would expect to see them come back with brute force next year. Scots not far behind, and again shore IV's havent shown anything special so far. so i would predict iggy's kings and new to be top 3. As for the 4th IV and the prestigious penrith city council cup, previous results also show new, kings and iggy's up there. With newington's 4th IV almost beating kings bow four of their 2nd eight (as Mr Zu-t stated) expect them to be very hard to beat in march. Scots joeys and shore havent shown anything to predict them as a winner at this stage.

Robson

Bob McCowan (2)
My Predictions:

1st VIII
I don't think that shore will win the 1st VIII division. They are no where near in the clear yet. only showing up to 2 races (winning both) and as the Newington 2nd VIII has shown shore eights ARE beatable. I predict the top 4 to be shore, Scots, new and Joey's (in no order). Given the amount of depth shown in the Newington shed I see them as big contenders for the Major Rennie, and Joeys and Scots have shown improvements with big promise for quick times in march. Shore has proven that they can move a boat fast, but only time will tell if they can continue to improve. Grammar and High haven't shown anything promising yet, but anything can happen. N.B Rumor has it that with both shore and joey's bow-rigging their eights, Kings, grammar and scots have all decided to do the same so 5/8 1st VIII's will be bow rigged, with possibly more by march.

I'm sorry, but there's a lot of things you have said here that are completely wrong.

Shore are so far looking almost unbeatable. You said it yourself, they are unbeaten. Their 6:02 at SIRC is admirable and with 4 more months of training I would expect that to be around 5:55 or lower by HOTR.

Newington are nothing special. They have yet to show a performance worthy of your claim.

Scots have shown themselves to be very inconsistent, with a second at Iron Cove and a 5th at SIRC, whether they can perform on the 9th of March remains to be seen.

Riverview are proving to be quite a force to be reckoned with this year, significantly better than previous years. This may be as a result of the appointment of dual olympian and world record holder Daniel Noonan as the head coach. Also, they were spotted training in crews during the off season, an act that is in direct contravention of the GPS code of conduct.

Joeys are rowing well this year as well, but are nothing special. They came second at SIRC with a very strong time of 6:05 but were beaten at Gold Cup by Grammar and Riverview in the Semi-Final and Scots in the Heat.

Grammar won the Head of the Parramatta by a strong margin, beating Newington by 14 seconds and Kings by 28. Despite these two and High being the only competitors it was a very strong result. They haven't performed in the other races thus far, but their performance at Gold Cup showed that they have the ability to beat some of the better crews in the GPS (they beat Joeys in the heat). The Grammar shed has a clear lack of depth, which the extremely poor 2nd VIII shows.

Kings have been poor up until the Gold Cup at which they performed admirably, beating Scots and Newington convincingly in the Semi, and racing competitively in the final.

High is still battling at the rear of the field. They are really the only ones completely out of contention for a podium finish at HOTR. I do admire them however, for continually showing up to compete.

Now, onto your claim about the some eights being bow rigged. Not only does it have almost no bearing on anything, but the Grammar eight is not bow rigged, neither is Kings's eight. I can't comment on Scots.

Good to see some TAS crews out at the Reindeer Regatta. Granted, both slow times and poor placings but it is good to see a resurgence of their rowing program.

Also, I believe the coxswain of the GPS VIII is the cox of the winning crew at Head of the River.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
My Predictions:

1st IV and 2nd IV
Not sure about this one, pretty up in the open. Kings definietly do not have it in the bag, as the New 3rd IV knocked off their 1sts in grafton last weekend. I think you could count out the shore IV's as they are just not up the same standard as their eights I predict with selections over the summer anyone could win this one. Out of Kings, Riverview, Scots, Joeys and possibly even Newington could turn around their recent bad results, and pull it off in March.

3rd IV and 4th IV
Given previous results, St Ignatius and Kings have shown their dominance in the 3rd IV division. But with newington beating the kings 1st IV I would expect to see them come back with brute force next year. Scots not far behind, and again shore IV's havent shown anything special so far. so i would predict iggy's kings and new to be top 3. As for the 4th IV and the prestigious penrith city council cup, previous results also show new, kings and iggy's up there. With newington's 4th IV almost beating kings bow four of their 2nd eight (as Mr Zu-t stated) expect them to be very hard to beat in march. Scots joeys and shore havent shown anything to predict them as a winner at this stage.

i should let you know that it was Newington's 2nd IV that smashed their 1st IV's time by 15 seconds. this was due to crew changes leading up to the grafton regatta in the 1st IV and the strong erg times but poor sculling times in the 2nd IV and the combination in the boat had been consistent since the start of the season.

Also, Newington's 2nd IV did beat King's 1st and 2nd 4's in the same race but different divisions and by 10 seconds.

this would hopefully show the defending contenders for podium spots at last years HOTR across all fours at Kings, that Newington 4's for the first time in a while are coming strong with now 3 fours posting 1st places in individual regatta's with the 1st IV left to find its foot chocks, so to speak.

hopefully their summer training does pay off (if they are doing any!) and they will come strong by march. It's been a long time for new, and it starts now

(heavy bias.....Newington Supporter)

H

hotr2013

I'm sorry, but there's a lot of things you have said here that are completely wrong.

Shore are so far looking almost unbeatable. You said it yourself, they are unbeaten. Their 6:02 at SIRC is admirable and with 4 more months of training I would expect that to be around 5:55 or lower by HOTR.

Newington are nothing special. They have yet to show a performance worthy of your claim.

Kings have been poor up until the Gold Cup at which they performed admirably, beating Scots and Newington convincingly in the Semi, and racing competitively in the final.

Now, onto your claim about the some eights being bow rigged. Not only does it have almost no bearing on anything, but the Grammar eight is not bow rigged, neither is Kings's eight. I can't comment on Scots.

Although shore is unbeaten they have only been to 2 races, and yes they have won both. But only by 3.75 at the Grammar regatta ahead of Scots. And by 3.31 at the Joeys regatta ahead of Joeys. All schools have raced very inconsistently (except shore) , they are still developing and making changes to improve their crews. I would definitely not say that they are unbeatable at this point.

As you said Kings were one of the best GPS crews at the Gold Cup beating new and scots convincingly. However up in Grafton last weekend new beat kings by 14.98 (with a strong headwind) and 7.51 (with a tailwind). I feel that this is enough to say that new will be up in the mix next year and that they are beggining to find their feet.

Finally, I can confirm that Kings were seen rowing in a bow rigged eight up at grafton last weekend.

Robson

Bob McCowan (2)
Can anyone comment on an incident at the GPS Sculling trials where a Scots boy was seen rigging a very nice looking Filippi and then showed up to the race in a Sykes?
I saw the GPS Convenor talking to the Scots coaches about this on the day, prior to the sculling trials but I'm not sure what happened....

Status
Not open for further replies.