• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AAGPS (NSW) Rowing 2013 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gogoldenbears

Shore: It might be theirs to lose if HOTR was in December however, HOTR is in March. Indeed a very promising start to the season, perhaps too early to call though. Bladework and a high proportion of pre-season intensity training the hallmark (tradition too) of the North Shore boys since the start of time. Will they handle the pressure cooker when the likes of big players (Joeys, Newington, Dan Noonan possibly Kings etc.) reveal their cards closer to the pointy end? I'll be impressed if they can squeeze some more out – will hope for a bow flag effect.

Joeys: Doyle commits to the St Josephs after a stretch on the North Shore. Having beat the 2nd VIII division (not to mention Jenning’s 1st VIII on time also) a few years back, this will be interesting. Combined with MIC Bob Shirlaw, all the secrets of the North have whispered themselves down the road to Hunters Hill. Their biggest demon will no doubt be the chopper choke, Riverview also. Watch out for these guys later on.

Grammar: A little patchy this year the academics. Spotted training at Mosman nearly everyday trying to squeeze every inch out of the Smith/Ditmarsch dynasty but alas Ditmarsch is gone. Not sure about these guys, will watch with interest in the first few regattas. Black unis (Milk also) might be a bad choice if the temperatures are 40 degrees plus at state championships. If they’re not on the pace early in the race they won’t be on it later. More Rob Rolland Smith Inspiration sessions might be required.

Scots: Word is they’re light on the ergs up the top end. Fighting last years disapointment how will Latte sipping, Range Rover driving boys on the hill come back? The appointment of a new coach and a trusty yellow boat with an Eastern suburbs price tag to boot. The old “ergs don’t float” comes to mind but tell that to the crew that rows well and pulls the ergo to match. I reckon these guys will be similar to Grammar, will be interested to see how they go in the first few regattas before I make a call.

Riverview: The best stretch of water in Sydney, the largest pool of athletes and and the sculling technician Dan Noonan helping out. Looks like a promising year for the catholics, however it looks like that every year. They took the other schools on the inside lane at Gold Cup, albeit with Kings outside the course for some unknown. Pressure and demons will be tough to overcome.

Newington: Ex-Olympic coach and some HP to boot. Newington appeared to be strong in Grafton, I say appeared because they rested most of the crew for the VIIIs race. Having said that I like their new boat and I like a good ergo - making that ergo float will evidently be their challange. Power and zuities with strings are the key...

Kings: The winning 1st year 10 VIII from 2011 have either been foxing the field or struggling to find consistency early this season. Kings pairs and the sculls have been spotted on the Parramatta, Lane Cove, Iron Cove and Jindabyne over the last few weeks however one wonders whats been going on in Parramatta over the last few years. Actually I wonder what happened at Gold Cup?! Need to crank it up a gear or 3 to realise some former glory. To early to call with these guys.Technique and ditch the Hudson....

High: Having a tough season the boys, might need shift some of the boys up from the year 10 VIIIs who have been giving the Newington a touch up.

Bears rule..

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)

Newington: Ex-Olympic coach and some HP to boot. Newington appeared to be strong in Grafton, I say appeared because they rested most of the crew for the VIIIs race. Having said that I like their new boat and I like a good ergo - making that ergo float will evidently be their challange. Power and zuities with strings are the key.

Although you may think that new rested there 8's, it is fair to say that they did compete in the sculling, quads and under 17s races all while competing their own race in fine form against the other schools.

So where does this 'resting' come into play??

It was disheartening to know that in the 4's races, on almost 4 occasions, the kings fours consisted of their 1st 8 or 2nd 8's bow/stern four's which made a tough ask for the newington 'fours' to compete with.

The GPS Rower

Herbert Moran (7)
it seems gentle men an argument has been started. i have heard the newington 8s have been putting some clear first 8 rowers in there 2nds to boost the attitude of the boys. with new coaches, a new style comes. elite sportsmen such as ZR have been left in the 2nd VIII throughout graft on, and i hear, still now. Is this right, i may ask. Ive always heard rumours of the Kings 1st IV being ranked higher in their shed than their 2nd VIII...

G

gogoldenbears

Although you may think that new rested there 8's, it is fair to say that they did compete in the sculling, quads and under 17s races all while competing their own race in fine form against the other schools.

So where does this 'resting' come into play??

It was disheartening to know that in the 4's races, on almost 4 occasions, the kings fours consisted of their 1st 8 or 2nd 8's bow/stern four's which made a tough ask for the newington 'fours' to compete with.

I kinda meant if you count cumulative races for each athlete, thats what I was referring to. Not sure if the same people as written in the results but if is the same thats where it comes into play. Doesn't mater anyway man its done, I'm sure everyone there knew who knew that knew who knew that they knew....

Agreed though it was unruly that the Kings ruined the fours racing, hardly a fun outing for the boys down the lower end of the chain. Lucky the boys North of the Harbour were doing more intensity probably in the form of laps of Currie mountain, otherwise it would have bee out of hand if you know what I mean....

G

gogoldenbears

Sorry I'll rephrase that then.

I didn't mean any hostility in my statement and apologise to anyone who may have interpreted it in that way.

just pulling your chain. Will be an interesting season.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Why can't 1st eight members row in the championship 4 division?

yeh true. might as well let every schools 1st 8 and 2nd 8 row in all the 4 events in the Head of the River, would work well, and give the eights boys great experience rowing in 4's.......

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Were it a School 1st four race then I would wholeheartedly agree, however one race was the Mens Open Coxed Four, and the other the Championship schoolboy four.
Where do you draw the line? Can an U17 who is also in the 1st eight not compete in the U17 eight as it is technically a lower ranked boat in the Nsw GPS?

I'm sorry but in my opinion once it is an open or championship race it is inviting the best crew you can possibly put into that event.It is similar to the gold cup situation where there is no 1st eight division, only the open eight or whatever it is.

Firstly, all I'm saying is, is that other schools that weren't GPS did put their 1st 8 in the championship four race, but kings to be fair should've known to be fair as they did have the numbers and the oarsmen to put their 1st 4 in the championship race not their 1st 8 stern 4.

Secondly, it is lucky this year, that new has serious talent in the u17 races this year and last year. With a few boys who are in the first 8 being underage but in year 12 meant that undoubtedly there were going to do well.

G

gogoldenbears

Firstly, all I'm saying is, is that other schools that weren't GPS did put their 1st 8 in the championship four race, but kings to be fair should've known to be fair as they did have the numbers and the oarsmen to put their 1st 4 in the championship race not their 1st 8 stern 4.

Secondly, it is lucky this year, that new has serious talent in the u17 races this year and last year. With a few boys who are in the first 8 being underage but in year 12 meant that undoubtedly there were going to do well.

You have no idea about anything. For starters most of the QLD schools that row are GPS schools. Also at non-GPS regattas the rules do not adhere clubs from boating their top athletes in championship events whether its 8+, 4+, 2- or whatever. Finally explain the logic behind Newington having two scullers in the championship single scull race: if the logic is you only boat top down and one crew for their respective event then you would have only boated one crew to be "fair". That is all.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
You have no idea about anything. For starters most of the QLD schools that row are GPS schools. Also at non-GPS regattas the rules do not adhere clubs from boating their top athletes in championship events whether its 8+, 4+, 2- or whatever. Finally explain the logic behind Newington having two scullers in the championship single scull race: if the logic is you only boat top down and one crew for their respective event then you would have only boated one crew to be "fair". That is all.

that sculling race with 2 newington scullers only occurred once, and I'm sure a lot of other schools may have put more boy in the same races, and i believe Newington wanted to take out the big trophy on the day for the most points across the day. Unfortunately, PLC pymble won the trophy and surprise, surprise they had numerous single scullers and other crews doubling up in races. So your argument that you put forward to me had no relevance to what i was talking about. but i have explained for you.

And I'm sorry i meant the Sydney GPS rowing competition and the schools that are involved in that are Newington, Kings, Scots, Shore, Riverview, Grammar and Sydney High. Kings and Newington were up at grafton at the time and noticed that Kings' 1st 8 stern 4 were in the championship four's race. I know for a fact that if they did this, or vice versa newington would try this in a Sydney regatta (non-GPS) where there was a championship fours race, they would put in their 1st 4 not their 1st 8's stern four. it wouldn't look right and would look like they are somewhat 'stacking' their crew.

G

gogoldenbears

that sculling race with 2 newington scullers only occurred once, and I'm sure a lot of other schools may have put more boy in the same races, and i believe Newington wanted to take out the big trophy on the day for the most points across the day. Unfortunately, PLC pymble won the trophy and surprise, surprise they had numerous single scullers and other crews doubling up in races. So your argument that you put forward to me had no relevance to what i was talking about. but i have explained for you.

And I'm sorry i meant the Sydney GPS rowing competition and the schools that are involved in that are Newington, Kings, Scots, Shore, Riverview, Grammar and Sydney High. Kings and Newington were up at grafton at the time and noticed that Kings' 1st 8 stern 4 were in the championship four's race. I know for a fact that if they did this, or vice versa newington would try this in a Sydney regatta (non-GPS) where there was a championship fours race, they would put in their 1st 4 not their 1st 8's stern four. it wouldn't look right and would look like they are somewhat 'stacking' their crew.

Man print your accusations about other schools not playing "fair", my argument and your counterargument and take it to Dr H, no doubt he'll be able to explain the double standards and general inconsistencies you've presented to us today. Failing that drop by the learning enhancement centre. This forum ought to be about interesting discussion, nobody wants to hear you bag other clubs for cheating when they're not and then go on and on some petty tirade about how the world is colluding against the greater glory of Newington - we get it.

fpiglet

Darby Loudon (17)
Last time I looked, Joeys were a GPS school too.... Maybe Newington wouldn't stack their rowing four but what about their prime winter sport?? Oops, did I say that out loud?!! Better grab an umbrella and keep out of the torrent that'll rain down now!

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Last time I looked, Joeys were a GPS school too.. Maybe Newington wouldn't stack their rowing four but what about their prime winter sport?? Oops, did I say that out loud?!! Better grab an umbrella and keep out of the torrent that'll rain down now!

tooshay, St.Joesphs.

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
Man print your accusations about other schools not playing "fair", my argument and your counterargument and take it to Dr H, no doubt he'll be able to explain the double standards and general inconsistencies you've presented to us today. Failing that drop by the learning enhancement centre. This forum ought to be about interesting discussion, nobody wants to hear you bag other clubs for cheating when they're not and then go on and on some petty tirade about how the world is colluding against the greater glory of Newington - we get it.

wooh. dude this is getting intense, i didn't know this would be a 'ill tell the teacher on you' incident. This change in font worries me as somehow it is trying to convey how angry you are over something pity and something that maybe would've turned into a interesting discussion point. what happened in the race happened. They got medals and so did 'we'. And for a small forum on G&G there is no huge tirade going with newington. unlike the winter sports situation, well maybe i could concede.

And this Dr.H would be gladly interested to know about the events....ill email him tonight! oh wait......he wouldn't give a s**t. Again this point of discussion was really a small thing that got a 'scots' supporter angry? you go golden bears, you tell em!!!

G

gogoldenbears

wooh. dude this is getting intense, i didn't know this would be a 'ill tell the teacher on you' incident. This change in font worries me as somehow it is trying to convey how angry you are over something pity and something that maybe would've turned into a interesting discussion point. what happened in the race happened. They got medals and so did 'we'. And for a small forum on G&G there is no huge tirade going with newington. unlike the winter sports situation, well maybe i could concede.

And this Dr.H would be gladly interested to know about the events..ill email him tonight! oh wait..he wouldn't give a s**t. Again this point of discussion was really a small thing that got a 'scots' supporter angry? you go golden bears, you tell em!!!

What's funny is that it's not even the contradictory stuff that you say that's most entertaining, more so the lack of just basic comprehension skills. Tell you what I'll let go of you calling everyone cheaters if you think of a better point of discussion. Shoot man

GPSrow

Watty Friend (18)
What's funny is that it's not even the contradictory stuff that you say that's most entertaining, more so the lack of just basic comprehension skills. Tell you what I'll let go of you calling everyone cheaters if you think of a better point of discussion. Shoot man

i think pointing out comprehension and grammar mistakes in my posts, means that the point got through, you have no rebuttal or your fishing for likes.

Status
Not open for further replies.