• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

otoolej11

Bob McCowan (2)
yes padua forwards dominated the second half after a lacklustre first but couldnt convert pressure into points, scored a try to bring it back to a contest for a large part of the second half but were killed off by a late TGS try against the run of play.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
yeah, had a mate on coaching staff at TGS and apparently the backrow cause havoc at the breakdown. looks like youve got yoursel a handy team

W

WB15

SEC and SPLC will eat them.

Sec prop 6'4 and i though he was rodney blake

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Any word on Lauries this year peeps?

Lauries playing trials next weekend against TSS which should set them a benchmark. These schools rarely play trials together except at prep level.
I have noticed a few schools mixing it up this year in who they choose to trial against, which is positive. Having said that the Ashgrove v Nudgee preseason trial (seemingly abandoned) used to be a highlight.

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Lauries playing trials next weekend against TSS which should set them a benchmark. These schools rarely play trials together except at prep level.
I have noticed a few schools mixing it up this year in who they choose to trial against, which is positive. Having said that the Ashgrove v Nudgee preseason trial (seemingly abandoned) used to be a highlight.

Yeah I like seeing some of these schools mix it up during trials. Thanks for the response - please post an update after the game!

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Ashgrove have started favourite every year for at least 15 years and can't see anything different this year.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Yeah I like seeing some of these schools mix it up during trials. Thanks for the response - please post an update after the game!

Bit of a mismatch down the Coast yeterday. TSS rattled up 46 points to nil against Lauries without ever fully unleashing their backs. Despite the pre-match rain, the field was in reasonable nick and a fairly open game eventuated. TSS just attempted to dominate field position and played the phases. In fact the 1st try came on about the 10th phase when the TSS No 9 scooted over from the back of a ruck untouched. Lauries tackled hard all day - none more so than their tireless No 8 (& captain?), but just succumbed to sustained pressure. Only 12 - 0 at halftime before the floodgates opened. Lauries were outmuscled in the forwards and struggled against a brickwall defence in the backs but did show the odd glimmer. The win probably highlighted the AIC v GPS difference in standard.

drewprint

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Bit of a mismatch down the Coast yeterday. TSS rattled up 46 points to nil against Lauries without ever fully unleashing their backs. Despite the pre-match rain, the field was in reasonable nick and a fairly open game eventuated. TSS just attempted to dominate field position and played the phases. In fact the 1st try came on about the 10th phase when the TSS No 9 scooted over from the back of a ruck untouched. Lauries tackled hard all day - none more so than their tireless No 8 (& captain?), but just succumbed to sustained pressure. Only 12 - 0 at halftime before the floodgates opened. Lauries were outmuscled in the forwards and struggled against a brickwall defence in the backs but did show the odd glimmer. The win probably highlighted the AIC v GPS difference in standard.

Yeowch! Thanks mate! And yep, definitely highlights the difference in skill levels I'd say. Shame really, never like seeing a thrashing (well, almost never) but especially against my old school, hah.

J

Jeff Smith

Villa V SLC this weekend is it the match of the round ?....

S

Steve-O

From watching a lot of different AIC games last year and a numerous trials this year its going to be very interesting to see what AIC selectors end up picking in the centres. From what Ive heard and seen there are going to be some tough matchups. Eddies two centres, Sam johnson and the yr 11 leaguie will be a good combo. For padua, another big leaguie jack creighton, at least 100kgs+, (aic 2 last year) will cause a lot of teams some trouble. for st pats from what ive heard giles and jarrod (forget last names) are two good ball runing centres. For st peters ive heard tyrone brimble (qld u15 union 2009) is playing in centres dont quote me though. For villa i dont no his name but the tall rangy fella that played inside for firsts last year will cause some headaches for defence and another yr 11 leaguie at outside havent heard much about him but supposed to be pretty good. I saw lauries two centres play in the 3 way trial with eddies and ashgrove, and they played extremely well, not sure about their names but just commenting fromt the 3 way trial, the inside some stocky islander fella who runs pretty hard and has some wheels and a tall bulky outside (im guessing he'd be around 100kg mark) who i heard is a leaguie, runs some good lines too. From what ive seen from ashgrove i really dont know what combinations they will end up with havent seen enough of them to comment. Thats the same aswell for Iona

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
What is the draw for round 1? Also predictions, player match ups ect.

Villa v SLC: Lauries have a couple of key players missing and Villa at home will be pumped up but Lauries to win
Padua v Eddies: Tough one to pick as both are premiership contenders. Padua to cause an upset at home
SPLC v SPC: Patties have slipped under the radar a bit but are a huge chance of being premiers this year. Peters will be very competitive but Patties to get up.
Ashgrove v Iona: Iona haven't shown a great deal of pre season form and Ashgrove at home is the toughest ask in AIC. Ashgrove by 20+.

As for the season I reckon this is the most even AIC comp in many years. Ash, SLC, Padua, Eddies and SPC have legitimate premiership chances. Would surprise me to see an undefeated premier this season and I predict Ashgrove, Padua and SPC to be 3 way premiers.

Status
Not open for further replies.