• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

erossi93

Allen Oxlade (6)
yeah lauries looked like winning and then the big no.3 garrath ryan stepped up and barged through the lauries defence to put padua in front to win the game.

S

Steve-O

yeah lauries looked like winning and then the big no.3 garrath ryan stepped up and barged through the lauries defence to put padua in front to win the game.

didnt get to see the game due to work commitments. Dissapointing for lauries. How did Creighton play against his opposing centre?

erossi93

Allen Oxlade (6)
didnt get to see the game due to work commitments. Dissapointing for lauries. How did Creighton play against his opposing centre?

Yeah he played well, but i think the best of him is still yet to come. However he is still causing other teams to worry. He has set up himself as a potential AIC 1 player

L

L-Time2011

Padua up over Lauries at Suncorp, Another Lauries final quarter fade out. better team won. Simon Gregg lauries no 9 back at last from injury . absolutely super , the best in Aic by a long margin

i agree simon gregg has to be in that aic 1 team his foot speed off the mark and pass is amazing hes a freak. he also scored a great try at Suncorp by running around the whole backline.

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
Lauries have held leads or at least been even with every opponent coming in to the last 20 mins of every game. They fail to lift, but not because they are not trying. They lose intensity at the ball contest, the support numbers at the breakdown dry up, defensive line speed slows, kick chase is slow, and mistakes like poor lineout execution and poor decisions creep in. These are all signs of fatigue, and indicate a comparative lack of fitness with the other AIC schools. We can feel sorry or talk about bad luck, but hopefully (for them) a lesson has been learnt this season about the importance of either a) selecting fit people or b) working harder in the pre season.

Couldn't have said it better myself jaydee. Lauries have taken their eye off the ball when it comes to preparing teams adequately where as schools like Eddies are picking up their act and the results are showing. The Patties lose was very unlucky but the games against Eddies and now Padua were games that Lauries should never have lost. On another note, what a disastrous year for Villa so far. Seem to have been competitive in every game but can't get the job done. I don't think many people would have predicted Villa to be 0 from 5 and Lauries 1 from 5 at this stage of the season.

erossi93

Allen Oxlade (6)
AIC 1 2011 Team
1. Simon Mikeal (SEC)
2. Eddies #2
3. ??
4. Scott Mains (VIL)
5. Tim Bethel (ASH)
6. Ash #6
7. Lachlan Grey (SPLC)
8. Tom Milosevic (SLC)/ Terrin Walls (SPC)
9. Scott Maloua (ASH) / Simon Gregg (SLC)
10. Will Thomasson (ASH) / Heta Manuel (SEC)
11. Elliot Davies/ Eddies #12
12. Tyrone Brimble (SPLC)
13. Jarred Watson (SPC)
14: Giles Beverage (SPC)
15: Jonathan Kent (ASH)

Interesting to see that you haven't included any padua players when they are currently leading the competition. Surely padua would have a few players to challenge for spots in the AIC 1 side. It is your opinion though.

R

Rugby56

AIC 1 2011 Team
1. Simon Mikeal (SEC)
2. Eddies #2
3. ??
4. Scott Mains (VIL)
5. Tim Bethel (ASH)
6. Ash #6
7. Lachlan Grey (SPLC)
8. Tom Milosevic (SLC)/ Terrin Walls (SPC)
9. Scott Maloua (ASH) / Simon Gregg (SLC)
10. Will Thomasson (ASH) / Heta Manuel (SEC)
11. Elliot Davies/ Eddies #12
12. Tyrone Brimble (SPLC)
13. Jarred Watson (SPC)
14: Giles Beverage (SPC)
15: Jonathan Kent (ASH)

Possibly Aaron Sorridimi at 3?

J

jaydee

What the coaches at Padua and Eddie's have done in 3 or 4 seasons is amazing. They were always tough league schools who could not win consistently against the union schools like marist and lauries because of the lack of basic union skills. They historically rely on that 1 or 2 brilliant Leaguie to get a break out try or two and then just try and smash with big hits in defence. Now they are very credible union teams. My advice to those schools is to do whatever it takes to hold on to the young men who have coached these teams, before other AIC or GPS schools will come knocking !!
Couldn't have said it better myself jaydee. Lauries have taken their eye off the ball when it comes to preparing teams adequately where as schools like Eddies are picking up their act and the results are showing. The Patties lose was very unlucky but the games against Eddies and now Padua were games that Lauries should never have lost. On another note, what a disastrous year for Villa so far. Seem to have been competitive in every game but can't get the job done. I don't think many people would have predicted Villa to be 0 from 5 and Lauries 1 from 5 at this stage of the season.

S

Steve-O

Lauries have held leads or at least been even with every opponent coming in to the last 20 mins of every game. They fail to lift, but not because they are not trying. They lose intensity at the ball contest, the support numbers at the breakdown dry up, defensive line speed slows, kick chase is slow, and mistakes like poor lineout execution and poor decisions creep in. These are all signs of fatigue, and indicate a comparative lack of fitness with the other AIC schools. We can feel sorry or talk about bad luck, but hopefully (for them) a lesson has been learnt this season about the importance of either a) selecting fit people or b) working harder in the pre season.

Yeah I heard from a mate that after lauries big inside centre scored a nice try, they just switched off with 15 to go. You cant do that and expect to win.

erossi93

Allen Oxlade (6)
What the coaches at Padua and Eddie's have done in 3 or 4 seasons is amazing. They were always tough league schools who could not win consistently against the union schools like marist and lauries because of the lack of basic union skills. They historically rely on that 1 or 2 brilliant Leaguie to get a break out try or two and then just try and smash with big hits in defence. Now they are very credible union teams. My advice to those schools is to do whatever it takes to hold on to the young men who have coached these teams, before other AIC or GPS schools will come knocking !!

Cannot agree more with you jaydee. Padua has traditionally been one of the stronger catholic league schools in australia. But now things have changed at the school and the culture of rugby union has flourished and this can be seen with the first xv recent results. This is the same with eddies as they are also another traditional league school which is progressively making the switch over. I think a point has been proven and that hard work and effort into coaching and training will ultimately pay off.

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
Cannot agree more with you jaydee. Padua has traditionally been one of the stronger catholic league schools in australia. But now things have changed at the school and the culture of rugby union has flourished and this can be seen with the first xv recent results. This is the same with eddies as they are also another traditional league school which is progressively making the switch over. I think a point has been proven and that hard work and effort into coaching and training will ultimately pay off.

Eddies defeating Ashgrove yesterday will do wonders for their rugby program. I also saw in the paper that the 14 and 15a's won as well against Ashgrove and with the 15a's from last year winning the premiership, Eddies could be set for a sustained period of success. Padua will also receive a great boost if they can manage to beat Ashgrove but if they can win on Saturday they will be guaranteed the premiership which will be a fantastic result within itself.

A

AIC Rugby 22

Watched the Iona and Pats game on Saturday. Pats bounced back strong from what looked like a very ordinary few weeks, finally saw the level of the footy every one was expecting from them. Dominate in line outs and scrums, iona never really stood a chance. Pats 9,8,6 and 2 had very solid games from pats whilst their centers seem to find endless space in the backs. Iona had very good flankers who were always quick on the ball in the rucks. There set pieces really let them down though. St pats looked good, padua v pats next week is shaping up to be a great game.

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)

This has been the best competition in years with almost every game competitive - Lauries, Villa, Iona and SPLC are at the bottom but have made the other teams really work for their victories and with a bit of luck could have won these games. Match of the round will be Padua v Pats this week - a Padua premiership (if they win) would not have been the punter's choice and what a last round against Ash that would be

erossi93

Allen Oxlade (6)
This has been the best competition in years with almost every game competitive - Lauries, Villa, Iona and SPLC are at the bottom but have made the other teams really work for their victories and with a bit of luck could have won these games. Match of the round will be Padua v Pats this week - a Padua premiership (if they win) would not have been the punter's choice and what a last round against Ash that would be

Padua Vs. St Pats will be the game of the round for sure as they are rivals and padua is attempting to secure the premiership. But yes you are right about the competitiveness of the competition this year. AIC is becoming more of an interesting competition now.

oldcoach

Frank Row (1)
Ashgrove not what they used to be ...

I hear from an old friend that Ashgrove are in for lean times for a few seasons. They probably don't have the quality of players of some years but the big change has been the loss for various reasons on a few key staff. Rugby there in the doldrums apparently.

A friend was speaking to one of their current First XV players - they went on tour this year for a week - played 2 games but did not train! Sounds like coaches who think that all you have to be is from Ashgrove to win ..

REACTOR

Frank Row (1)
I hear from an old friend that Ashgrove are in for lean times for a few seasons. They probably don't have the quality of players of some years but the big change has been the loss for various reasons on a few key staff. Rugby there in the doldrums apparently.

A friend was speaking to one of their current First XV players - they went on tour this year for a week - played 2 games but did not train! Sounds like coaches who think that all you have to be is from Ashgrove to win ..

I suppose it's all relative. What Ashgrove regards as the doldrums all the other AIC schools dream about. They will still most likely be the
Number 1 AIC Rugby school as usual and their First XV is still a chance of winning the premiership. Rather than Ashgrove being in the doldrums,
the other schools are catching up. As has been pointed out in this thread, this years comp. has been the closest in many years. It won't do the Ashgrove boys any harm to come back to the pack a bit.

Refabit

Darby Loudon (17)
Ashgrove is hardly in the doldrums. The Padua website has an interesting table which ranks the AIC rugby schools each year depending on each team in each age groups's results.
Ashgrove is ranked No 1 every year since 1999! (the table only goes back to 1999).

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
what changes have these traditionally league schools ( eddies/pauda) made in order to improve so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.