• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky

Frank Nicholson (4)
As a pats old boy Pats have brought in a former churchie first xv coach and have also brought in the former BBC director of sport which have really change the culture to the sporting aspect of the school, really drilling into the kids that we can beat the big schools and this has shown in recent years with great results in other sports such as soccer volleyball and cross country.

Talking to a rugby coach from the school the other week, they have a very well drilled forward pack with solid backs and a stand out centre which I think is Regan by reading this forum and aic team predictions.

This year was more of a building year with a lot of year 11's in the team and are aiming for a top 3 finish with 4 place a pass mark. Pats will be a force this year and next year and I can't wait to see the underdogs knock of the big boys.

Eric Grothe Sr

Frank Nicholson (4)
As a pats old boy Pats have brought in a former churchie first xv coach and have also brought in the former BBC director of sport which have really change the culture to the sporting aspect of the school, really drilling into the kids that we can beat the big schools and this has shown in recent years with great results in other sports such as soccer volleyball and cross country.

Talking to a rugby coach from the school the other week, they have a very well drilled forward pack with solid backs and a stand out centre which I think is Regan by reading this forum and aic team predictions.

This year was more of a building year with a lot of year 11's in the team and are aiming for a top 3 finish with 4 place a pass mark. Pats will be a force this year and next year and I can't wait to see the underdogs knock of the big boys.

Sparky, I expressed my bias like yourself earlier about SPC, which is saying something considering I've worked at other AIC and GPS schools. For mine, as mentioneded on page 28 the impact has been from Luke Oxford (maths teacher) as you said let go by Churchie. The whole culture of Rugby changed when he arrived to move away from the 'we are owed all because we are 1st XV', amongst other things that geared toward humility. However, I question the comment about the Director of Sport's influence. The results of Volleyball and Cross Country mentioned are also simply as a result of simple school teachers gathering together athletes who believe in a 'positive' culture. This goes against the grain of many sport heads who like the QRU and others try to treat their athletes 'special' rather than letting them have a life. In saying this, I thus believe XXXX is right above when he mentions that 'backyard footy' and SPC's obvious fitness and 'mongrel' may have been the difference between them and the 'Grovers'. This is no surprise looking at the demographics of the competing teams. Before anybody points out the obvious, I believe Marist hammered SPC in an aggregate sense well and truly!

pundit

Herbert Moran (7)
On a general note - how good is AIC rugby these days! The competition is no longer dominated by one or two schools. Rather every school is currently in the mix or has been in recent years. I believe it's a result of improved programmes across the board. The former 'minnows' are now catching up to the renowned 'powerhouses' and the competition is now healthier than ever. Schools are valuing the importance of sport and physical activity in the lives of boys and have implemented the likes of gym programmes and strength and conditioning staff. Hats off to those involved.

Eric Grothe Sr

Frank Nicholson (4)
On a general note - how good is AIC rugby these days! The competition is no longer dominated by one or two schools. Rather every school is currently in the mix or has been in recent years. I believe it's a result of improved programmes across the board. The former 'minnows' are now catching up to the renowned 'powerhouses' and the competition is now healthier than ever. Schools are valuing the importance of sport and physical activity in the lives of boys and have implemented the likes of gym programmes and strength and conditioning staff. Hats off to those involved.
I agree wholeheartedly in this. The AIC rugby comp is far less predictable than it was many years ago and far tighter than the silver spoon tier above. Any which way that it has happened in regards to differing opinions is marvelous to see. The 'legend' goes that the 'mercy' call was brought in by the Christian Brother in charge at Pats when AIC started back in '99(ish) and now we see a situation where SPC who have never beaten ASH in rugby first XV (let's not talk TAS red) beat them...in round one!

Jenkins9876

Herbert Moran (7)
Sparky, I expressed my bias like yourself earlier about SPC, which is saying something considering I've worked at other AIC and GPS schools. For mine, as mentioneded on page 28 the impact has been from Luke Oxford (maths teacher) as you said let go by Churchie. The whole culture of Rugby changed when he arrived to move away from the 'we are owed all because we are 1st XV', amongst other things that geared toward humility. However, I question the comment about the Director of Sport's influence. The results of Volleyball and Cross Country mentioned are also simply as a result of simple school teachers gathering together athletes who believe in a 'positive' culture. This goes against the grain of many sport heads who like the QRU and others try to treat their athletes 'special' rather than letting them have a life. In saying this, I thus believe XXXX is right above when he mentions that 'backyard footy' and SPC's obvious fitness and 'mongrel' may have been the difference between them and the 'Grovers'. This is no surprise looking at the demographics of the competing teams. Before anybody points out the obvious, I believe Marist hammered SPC in an aggregate sense well and truly!

I think the socioeconomic comment is uncalled for. Senior student at Marist is about $10,000 in fees, St Pats is $8,500/$9,000 these days. The secret behind this St Pats team is their new defensive coach. Jacob Raulini, the former Fijian halfback has come on board as per the request of Oxford. He was there on the weekend screaming out defensive calls to his side. Good to see.

Sir

Bob McCowan (2)
The St. Laurence's College First XV are really struggling for confidence, highly doubt they can beat ashgrove @ ashgrove. Will be a good game to watch considering the rivalry but.

behindthescenes

Allen Oxlade (6)
Totally agree with this, the AIC competition is always put second behind GPS but I am starting to realise that there are many little differences in each competitions yeah Nudgee might have an Australian hooker or Churchie might have a QLD centre but the physicality and skill of these young men are at the same level and some players even showing more skill then some GPS players. Take a look at last years AIC 1 vs GPS 1's game resulting in a draw. Round 1 has shown some interesting results and it's gonna be one hell of a season

It is certainly a less predictable competition, which comes about as a result of the increase in student populations of the 'smaller' schools in recent years, and the obvious improvements in their facilities and human resources. Although the quality of the rugby in the younger age groups is relatively comparable to that in the GPS competition, I would suggest the difference between the standard of rugby in the AIC 1stXV and GPS 1stXV has never been bigger.

Never before, have the GPS schools poached and recruited players as aggressively as they do now. Never before have they spent as much money on scholarships, coaching and facilities. Yes- the Rugby programs in most AIC schools are better than they were before, but they are no closer to competing with the GPS schools.

Sure you could get the best 15 out of all the AIC schools and be competitive, the difference is obvious when you look at individual teams 1-15. In AIC schools you have to work with what you've got, so often you'll be carrying/hiding a number of players in your team- at GPS schools, if you need a better 9- you go and find one- it's that's simple.

If you disagree with this observation, do yourself a favor and go and watch Churchie play Nudgee next term and see for yourself. I'm an AIC rugby supporter, but I'm also realistic of the standard of our competition.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Agree with everything behindthescence has post above, I often do attend AIC and GPS 1st games and yes it's on a different level. General more depth in the GPS 1st/2nds comp. GPS 1st team have no weak links unlike AIC teams.
But evidently in the school boy rep teams the best of the AIC is on par with the best from GPS.
I have experience the positive and negatives from both systems, and believe me the AIC has a lot more going for it than far from perfect GPS machine.
AIC develop good players GPS buys them.

Eric Grothe Sr

Frank Nicholson (4)
I think the socioeconomic comment is uncalled for. Senior student at Marist is about $10,000 in fees, St Pats is $8,500/$9,000 these days. The secret behind this St Pats team is their new defensive coach. Jacob Raulini, the former Fijian halfback has come on board as per the request of Oxford. He was there on the weekend screaming out defensive calls to his side. Good to see.
I said 'demographics' not a 'socio-economic comment' and I am not sure if it is uncalled for (check your school fee figures by the way). Behind any theories/research there is always an alternative side.

Earlier in the thread as always people were talking down SPC's chances. When at previous schools coaching (10-15 years ago), always, against Marist, people would bring out the boarders being tougher as the difference to which I disagreed. However, I did not see it as a surprise whatsoever this year that the SPC won their first one against ASH, as boys walking home in a uniform at The Gap may get it easier than in the far northern suburbs of the Moreton Shire.

In the old days coaching against ASH I'd say to the boys that, "the pressure is all on them", due to the Marist winning culture. At the same time schools like SPC, Eddies and Padua (leaguies) have always had much potential in the great game of Rugby due to their cohort. In SPC's case they have far less numbers but if the enthusiasm is channeled in the right direction look what happens.

You are right that Oxford's coaching team like the legendary Raulini has helped greatly, but they could have had Jack Gibson RIP on the sideline in the past but without a 'steady ship' in the form of a teacher at school keeping a lid on their (and parents') egos, then it amounts to nil. An above poster is correct in that it is a year 11 laden team at SPC. Perhaps this will be their only victory for the year. However, previous queries about 'buy-ins' and the like is not giving any credit to a simple man: 'the coach'.

Incidentally, as always, just like XXXX above, having been involved in AIC and GPS, the AIC rugby competition is far tighter. This is indeed 'good to see'. My only real hope is that blokes in all first, second, or third XV's, consider signing back up for a club (of any code) after school...off the soap box now.

thommo79

Frank Row (1)

Sorry mate, your school fees are way off. St Pats is no where near the figure you have quoted. Its population has exploded in recent years to just under the 1000 mark and is based on great value for money, great facilities and above all great teachers.

Rugby at St Pats got a huge boost when Drew MITCHELL turned down a scholarship from Nudgee when he finished year 10 because he wanted to stay at St Pats and play with his mates. That strengthened an already strong culture at St Pats that has seen them turn out a number of Rep levels players since then.

What has always annoyed me an many others, is that St Pats players are regularly over looked for Rep level teams because they are from "St Pats", with other players picked based on their school rather then form. It will be interesting to see the make up of the AIC teams this year if St Pats knock off a few of the other more fancied teams.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Jenkins9876, Yesterday at 7:32 PM Report
I think you'll find that your figure for Ashgrove fees is under the odds, but in my view there is something in the argument about demographics affecting the quality of Ashgrove rugby.
As a former student/player, and now a parent, at Ashgrove I've seen massive changes at the school since I started there in the early 1970's. Probably all of those changes have been for the better, as the boys are exposed to a far greater range of cultural experiences than in my day and get a much more rounded education, but the rugby culture comparison seems to me to be like chalk and cheese.
Fees aside, there's no doubt that the vast majority of Ashgrove boys now come from comfortable backgrounds, and I believe this shows to some extent on the rugby field. Quite simply, whilst everyone there still wants to win the bottom line is that it doesn't really seem to matter much if we don't. There's no real desperation to win, and certainly no junkyard dog-type mentality which might be there at some of the other schools, whereas when I was at Ashgrove rugby was everything, we were expected to win and losses were treated as disasters. I think I played in two losing sides in 9 years there, trials included. We seem to have become soft, really.
Anyway, good luck to SPC and anyone else who beats Ashgrove this year. I'm getting sick of losing but unless and until that attitude become entrenched at Ashgrove we're at risk of becoming mid-table battlers at First XV level.

Eric Grothe Sr

Frank Nicholson (4)
Jenkins9876, Yesterday at 7:32 PM Report
I think you'll find that your figure for Ashgrove fees is under the odds, but in my view there is something in the argument about demographics affecting the quality of Ashgrove rugby.
As a former student/player, and now a parent, at Ashgrove I've seen massive changes at the school since I started there in the early 1970's. Probably all of those changes have been for the better, as the boys are exposed to a far greater range of cultural experiences than in my day and get a much more rounded education, but the rugby culture comparison seems to me to be like chalk and cheese.
Fees aside, there's no doubt that the vast majority of Ashgrove boys now come from comfortable backgrounds, and I believe this shows to some extent on the rugby field. Quite simply, whilst everyone there still wants to win the bottom line is that it doesn't really seem to matter much if we don't. There's no real desperation to win, and certainly no junkyard dog-type mentality which might be there at some of the other schools, whereas when I was at Ashgrove rugby was everything, we were expected to win and losses were treated as disasters. I think I played in two losing sides in 9 years there, trials included. We seem to have become soft, really.
Anyway, good luck to SPC and anyone else who beats Ashgrove this year. I'm getting sick of losing but unless and until that attitude become entrenched at Ashgrove we're at risk of becoming mid-table battlers at First XV level.
Incidentally, there is nothing wrong with a 'well-rounded' education (works for the french now and the greeks in the past) so I'd say it is for the positive. If I had boys, I'd certainly send them to Marist or Iona.

Good 'luck to the 'blue and gold' this week against their old nemesis. I pray that as mentioned above my wish is that the boys head down to the 'Gallopers', 'Bugs' or Redcliffe 'Dolphins' after us adults continue our talking off the field in the next season.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Incidentally, there is nothing wrong with a 'well-rounded' education (works for the french now and the greeks in the past) so I'd say it is for the positive. If I had boys, I'd certainly send them to Marist or Iona.

Good 'luck to the 'blue and gold' this week against their old nemesis. I pray that as mentioned above my wish is that the boys head down to the 'Gallopers', 'Bugs' or Redcliffe 'Dolphins' after us adults continue our talking off the field in the next season.

+1
I'm often amused when talking with past students when tell me they played 1st grade rugby/cricket, when I asked them which club? they inform me at school.
Yes 1st 11 or 15 is an achievement to be proud of, it's only the beginning.
I echo Eri Grothe Super Rugby message get down to your local club, and really challenge yourself.

rugbyXVtalk

Bob McCowan (2)
Tips for this week.

PADUA VS PETERS at Peters

MARIST VS LAURIES at Ashgrove

PATS VS Eddies At Curlew Park

Iona vs Villanova at Iona

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Tips for this week.

PADUA VS PETERS at Peters

MARIST VS LAURIES at Ashgrove

PATS VS Eddies At Curlew Park

Iona vs Villanova at Iona

it used to be easy picking winners, but tough this season.
only one I would be certain on would be

ASH over Lauries > 12

the rest, toss of the coin, all should be good games bring it on.
I go with home teams on all.

The Professor

Frank Row (1)
Yes, mere peasants of Green and Gold rugby, its that time of the week. The Professor has returned for another week of expert analysis. I know what you're all thinking, how can we trust a man who got just one from four last week? Well, the great Harvey Dent once said that "the night is always darkest right before the dawn" and trust me peasants, the dawn is upon us. So, without further ado, The Professor presents his tips for Round 2.

St Patricks v St Edmunds
St Patricks are fresh off an inspiring victory last week, where a determined effort saw them knock off Ashgrove for the first time in the long history of the great AIC. Eddies on the other hand, had a strong victory against Lauries, however will need to get more ball on the front foot to deliver attacking opportunities for strike weapon Clifton Setu who was quiet last week. I see Eddies winning a tight one here, however don't be surprised if Pats spring another upset. Eddies by 1-12.

Padua v St Peters
Boy, weren't Padua surprisingly good against Villanova? After a number of peasants declared Villanova a force to be reckoned with, they were beaten by a hard working Padua side who's forward pack looked cohesive, mobile and strong. Peters on the other hand boosted their title credentials with a win over Iona. Although Padua were fantastic last week and look like a darkhorse in the competition, I see Peters grabbing this one in another tight one which could go either way. Peters by 1-12

Ashgrove v St Laurences
With both teams coming off losses in Round 1, this rivalry match will have a lot on the line when they meet in Ashgrove this Saturday. Despite not grabbing the win last weekend, Ashgrove's forward pack was outstanding and they were denied more than once by outstanding scramble defence from St Patricks. Lauries on the other hand will be match harderned from a tough first round encounter and will be no easy beats for the Ashgrovians. Ashgrove by 1-12

Villanova v Iona
Iona should bounce back from a disappointing loss to St Peters in this one and get their title hopes back on track. If Villa can get good service to their dangerous centre pairing than they may be able to cause an upset, however I believe that the forwards from Wynunm will be too strong and Iona will post their first win of the season in fine style. Iona by 13+

Yours Sincerely,
The Professor.

Mr.Footy

Bob McCowan (2)
Yes, mere peasents of Green and Gold rugby, its that time of the week. The Professor has returned for another week of expert analysis. I know what you're all thinking, how can we trust a man who got just one from four last week? Well, the great Harvey Dent once said that "the night is always darkest right before the dawn" and trust me peasants, the dawn is upon us. So, without further ado, The Professor presents his tips for Round 2.

St Patricks v St Edmunds
St Patricks are fresh off an inspiring victory last week, where a determined effort saw them knock off Ashgrove for the first time in the long history of the great AIC. Eddies on the other hand, had a strong victory against Lauries, however will need to get more ball on the front foot to deliver attacking opportunities for strike weapon Clinton Setu who was quiet last week. I see Eddies winning a tight one here, however don't be surprised if Pats spring another upset. Eddies by 1-12.

Padua v St Peters
Boy, weren't Padua surprisingly good against Villanova? After a number of peasants declared Villanova a force to be reckoned with, they were beaten by a hard working Padua side who's forward pack looked cohesive, mobile and strong. Peters on the other hand boosted their title credentials with a win over Iona. Although Padua were fantastic last week and look like a darkhorse in the competition, I see Peters grabbing this one in another tight one which could go either way. Peters by 1-12

Ashgrove v St Laurences
With both teams coming off losses in Round 1, this rivalry match will have a lot on the line when they meet in Ashgrove this Saturday. Despite not grabbing the win last weekend, Ashgrove's forward pack was outstanding and they were denied more than once by outstanding scramble defence from St Patricks. Lauries on the other hand will be match harderned from a tough first round encounter and will be no easy beats for the Ashgrovians. Ashgrove by 1-12

Villanova v Iona
Iona should bounce back from a disappointing loss to St Peters in this one and get their title hopes back on track. If Villa can get good service to their dangerous centre pairing than they may be able to cause an upset, however I believe that the forwards from Wynunm will be too strong and Iona will post their first win of the season in fine style. Iona by 13+

Yours Sincerely,
The Professor.

I really love the way you discuss the game. Your tips are understandable and you provide great expression of reasons why. Can really see a future for you in rugby management. Keep up the analysis Sir.

qldRU

Allen Oxlade (6)
some good tips and i respect your opinion, although my tips are as followed:

Villa vs Padua - Padua
I believe Villa are a very strong team and will challenge Padua to a game that goes to the final minute, but i believe with the late inclusion of Jordan Fewings from Padua he will spark a late comeback that will get Padua over the line in the late period of both halfs were Villa start to fall asleep and take the foot off the pedal. Will be a close one but
Padua 25 Villa 23

SLC vs Eddies - Eddies
Eddies running all over SLC in this one just like last year. High scoring game but Eddies victorious.
Eddies 42 SLC 15

Pats vs Ashgrove - Pats
A very close game here with Ashgrove having a strong team all around the park although Pats with the two to three strike players who will strike early and allow a challenege incapable of for the bumblebees. Pats strong winners.
Pats 28 Ashgrove 7

Iona vs Peters - Peters
With Iona only beating Peters by a small margain in 2013 at their home ground, this year with a much weaker side travelling to Peters is a tough ask for the black and white boys in round 1. With Iona physically overpowered against an NZ school they will struggle with the numerous imports of SPLC with them winning convincingly on Saturday.
Peter 17 Iona 5

just quoting myself here... after tipping 4 out of 4 last week with in my opinion after watching numerous trials finding no suprises in the results i will yet again give my predictions for round 2 of the AIC competition.

Eddies vs Pats - Eddies
With SEC beating SPC in a trial a few weeks back Eddies in my mind are in the top 3/4 of the comp. With strong forwards and fast backs I can see them getting the job done quite comfortably against Pats after the big win against Marist has worn off Pats will succumb to a few losses. While SEC look to make it 2 from 2 and continue on their journey.
SEC by 5

Peters vs Padua - Peters
With Peters defense being tested for the whole game against Iona even after Iona spent around 20 minutes in their 22. It became evident to me SPLC are the real deal for 2014. Premierships are won on defense and Peters defense in round 1 was water tight. Although Padua had a good win against Villa I still believe they are lacking some fire power in the backs with Fewings having a quiet game. While Peters center combination firing I think it will cause Padua major concerns.
Peters by 10+

Villa vs Iona - Villa
Make or break for both teams at Wynumm this weekend. With the Villa boys being fired up after Shane Mcbride (2013) Iona premiership winning coach coming to Villa for 2014 only lasting a few weeks before coming straight back to Iona for 2014 with a chance to go back to back will have both sides ready to go right from the whistle. Im expecting a few flaring tempers this Saturday but with Villas #10 having a quiet one against Padua Im here to say Villas dangerous 12 and 13 will be in gaps all day leaving Iona defending for the majority.
Villa by 12

Lauries vs Marist - Draw
With the rivalry fierce as ever it will be a forward dominated game out at the hive Saturday afternoon. A sloggfest to say the least. Backs will be there but this one will be won and lost in the packs as two of the powerhouse AIC forward packs go to battle. One for the ages.
Draw

Mr.Footy

Bob McCowan (2)
G'day Fellas, it's that time of week. Tipping Night.
To be honest, I couldn't be more excited for this weekend with AIC competition looking better than ever.

Eddies v Pats - Eddies
After defeating St Laurence's in what some have called a "lackluster game," the boys from Ipswich will be keen to prove themselves to the rest of AIC. Similarly, Pats seem to be in the same position with many wondering just how strong they were against Ashgrove. Both with points to prove, specifically that they are the "real deal." Eddies will come out on top with the forwards providing their exciting backs with great front foot ball for some enticing running rugby.

Peters v Padua - Padua
With what some have stated as a weakened Peters team compared to the last few years, they made a surprising stamp last weekend proving many critics wrong with a strong win over Iona. Padua on the other hand have always been considered as one of the top 3 favorites and nothing has changed. Outstanding forwards will push them over the line in this won providing Peters with instructions on physicality.

Villa v Iona - Villa
My oh my, this game will be a ripper. Both teams will need to strike hard and quick this weekend in order to come away with the win. Tempers will be high with both teams wanting to display their best rugby. After a quiet game for the Villanova centres the previous weekend, I can see them portraying why they have been discussed as possible AIC 1 selections. Watch for hard hitting tackles and massive runs which will guide Villa to the big W.

Lauries v Marist - Marist
It is of my understanding that both of these teams want nothing more than to get stuck into one another, putting on a show of good old fashioned rugby. I believe that both of these teams have some great players with some great futures. The key will be utilization of these players on the weekend. I see Marist getting the nod through some excellent leadership from the second row paring as well as great support from the backs.

As always,
Keep learning, your teacher,
Mr Footy

Rugby Mentor Greg

Stan Wickham (3)
Well round one was one of the best and most surprising in recent memory of AIC. I'm very interested to see what happens in round two, with the four undefeated teams playing each other this round, the two winners of this game could blow the competition wide open. Likewise, the losing teams from last week Could wave goodbye to their hopes of a premiership with another loss this week.

Peters vs Padua- peters
Should be a real cracker of a game, two dark horses going head to head. Last week saw Padua top a red hot Villanova side. From what I gather St Peters have an extremely dangerous back line. The difference between the peters and Villanova backlines are that the peters backline is consistently strong across the board whereas the Villa backline rely on two individual superstars. I'll be interested to see whether Padua can shut down another dangerous backline. It really comes down to weather Padua can keep it in the forwards, if they can have good discipline for the majority of the game they should win. However I can't see them maintaining their performance from last week and with a strong crowd at home I'm predicting peters to get home by a converted try or less.

Eddies vs Pats- Pats
My tip for the upset of the round is pats. I'm expecting pats to be sky high on confidence this round following the win over Marist last week. And I have faith in the coaching staff at Pats that they will have kept the players grounded and hungry for more, not allowing them to settle on one win. I expect the forward packs to be fairly even, allowing the big strong Pats centres to have a field trip against the eddies backline. My tip is pats by 10

Villanova vs Iona- Villa
After a tough emotional loss to Padua last week I expect Villa to bounce back. I don't expect anywhere near the number of un characteristic mistakes this week and think the big forward pack for villa will be searching for retribution after being beaten by Padua last week. Expecting Torpy to be back to his bruising, rampaging self this week and tipping villa by 14. Simply not enough star power in Iona to compete with Villanova.

Laurie's vs Marist- Marist
Marist are simply in the same boat as Villa, after an embarrassing loss I expect them to bounce back strongly this week. This week will mark the beginning of the end for Laurie's who will slump to 0-2 if they can't muster up an upset victory at Marist in front of a huge crowd. Looking for Marist to re-establish itself as a powerhouse of the competition after being on the receiving end of quite a bit of scrutiny. (A couple of forum members deciding to argue about tuition fees at Marist?). This forum should remember the dominance of Ashgrove rugby over the years and I am still yet to believe they are a mediocre team based on one off day. Expecting a critic silencing defeat- Marist by 25+

Status
Not open for further replies.