• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
However, I also hear that there are a few potential problems in the backline, so Ash could well be playing to a forwards-dominated game plan this season.

Nothing new there, I have not yet seen this years 1st however I would suggest the will be a well drilled team, strong set piece, play in in the forwards. I would be surprise if they don'tend un-defeated premiers.
But hey I love an upset.

Gary Smith

Stan Wickham (3)
Tip for Round 1:
Iona vs St Peters - In my opinion, the St Peters team will take to the Iona side. I was at the SLC v Iona trial game a few weeks back and the Iona forward pack absolutely took it to the SLC forwards with a very physical 10 mins, however they did slack off towards the end of the 1st half. I believe the Peters backline will be too quick for the men in black & white. St Peters by 3

St Laurence's vs St Edmunds: - The boys from Ipswich will have a too dominant forward pack and backline for SLC with Setu and Williamson being major impact players, as nearly everyone is picking it Eddies should win. St Edmunds by 17

Villanova vs Padua: - The Villanova forward pack will dominate the Padua forward pack and the back-line will be too big and quick with Torpy and Felu. Although, the Padua boys will come out firing and definitely will not hold back against Villa, I'm picking a tight one this weekend. Villanova by 5

Ashgrove vs Pats: - Not too much is known about this years Ashgrove side, but from what I hear they have one of the best packs in AIC however the backline could be weaker than previous years. Pats forwards will get dominated but the backline will be better than the Ashgrove backs. This game will be won from the forwards. Ashgrove by 10

Gary Smith

Stan Wickham (3)
Any word on the respective captains from each school?

St Pats - I believe its the #7
Iona - Jayden Carrol
SLC - Mitch Schneider
Villanova - George Carter
St Edmunds - I'd imagine it'd be between Clifton and Cayleb
Peters - Not too Sure
Ashgrove - Daniel Byrne but not 100%
Padua - Connor Gentile

qldRU

Allen Oxlade (6)
Padua Jordan fewings
SLC Joel mead
Sec Clifton setu
Pats Dan Robinson
Vila sam thong
Ash james Lancashire
Iona Jayden Carroll

i would find it hard to believe that Padua's captain would be Jordan Fewings as i have heard he was missing part of pre season, and with Connor Gentile being a part of Qld White's in 2013 you would think he would take a leadership role? also i can confirm villas captain against SLC was the number 6? ruling out Thong as being the captain

The Professor

Frank Row (1)
Tips for AIC Round One:
Ashgrove v St Patricks
Ashgrove should win this one with ease if they target the channel between the 10 and the 12. Lachlan Jackson is a powerful ball runner and will be taking short balls off the 10 all afternoon. With a dominant forward back led by their captain James Lancashire, the Ashgrove backs will have room to move and expect a dominant first round performance from the debutant Jackson. Expect him to lock down the AIC 1 jersey early in the season off the back of a strong start. Ashgrove 13+

Lauries v Eddies
Despite Lauries having quite a lot of pre season hype, it appears their trial form has failed to live up to the early talk. Clinton Setu is an outstanding prospect and will star for the boys from Ipswich. The returning Ian Filipo will do his best to make this one close, however the size and strength of Eddies will get them across the line in a close one. Eddies 1-12

Padua v Villa
Despite incredible speed and size from Connor Gentile in the Padua forward pack, Villa will be too strong with and outstanding 9,10,12, 13 combination. Elijah Lui was electric against Lauries and expect a big season from him. Two tries to Cameron Torpy and a big victory for the men in green. Villa 13+

Peters v Iona
St Peters will stuggle in this one, as they begin a rebuilding season this year. Iona have a history of producing strong 1st XV teams and expect this season to be no different. Despite an injury concern or two for the Wynumn boys, Iona should still have too much ammunition for the Peters boys. Iona 1-12

Yours Sincerely,
The Professor.

Florin FlomFlom

Frank Row (1)
Marist XV Line Up from the Barker Game as followed;

1- Tom Stewart
2- Nick Wilkins
3- Tommy Smith
4- Dan Byrne
5- James Lancashire
6- Declan O'Sullivan
7- Jayden Mccormack
8- Pat Beveridge
9- Will Rafter
10- Joe Kosiek
11- Kyle Panther Martin
12- Lachlan Jackson
13- Tommy Smith
14- Dylan Cooper
15- Seb Fahey

Great Team, Joe Kosiek the play maker has had a really big off season putting on up to 20 kgs whilst eating clean! Watch out for him, some AIC teams are planning to put two defenders on him because of the ball movement and the vision he has the ability to provide.

aic H0und

Frank Row (1)
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the idea of tacking is to use your shoulder. I saw the yellow card as a bit harsh. But just my opinion, I didn't know much that was happening on the field

If I may, I would like to correct you because you are wrong. The post said he "did not make a single tackle where he lead with his arms" and in order for the tackle to be legal the tackler must try to grasp the player, but obviously use their shoulder to effect the tackle. However, Torpy did neither and under section 10.4, dangerous play and misconduct, of the IRB's laws of the game book, he has violated points (g) and (i) on more than one occasion each - leading to the yellow card having to be used. Don't get me wrong, if he wasn't in the wrong I would have no chosen to argue the card, however, when a player blatantly uses foul play, sanctions are needed. Enjoy your AIC Rugby

qldRU

Allen Oxlade (6)
If I may, I would like to correct you because you are wrong. The post said he "did not make a single tackle where he lead with his arms" and in order for the tackle to be legal the tackler must try to grasp the player, but obviously use their shoulder to effect the tackle. However, Torpy did neither and under section 10.4, dangerous play and misconduct, of the IRB's laws of the game book, he has violated points (g) and (i) on more than one occasion each - leading to the yellow card having to be used. Don't get me wrong, if he wasn't in the wrong I would have no chosen to argue the card, however, when a player blatantly uses foul play, sanctions are needed. Enjoy your AIC Rugby

so true he got away with a few shoulder charges, but i must say not every single tackle was a shoulder charge, i did see him on numerous occasions wrap his arms around and take players to the ground which still left them down for awhile. his defence is even more dominant then his ball carrying

Cameron Toop

Stan Wickham (3)
Have not heard of many of these players and I suspect most are BS ...I do know the 2nd rowers Dan Byrne and Lancashire along with Pat Beveridge will give St Pats plenty of headaches.

Bruss_machine

Frank Row (1)
Padua vs Villa will be the game of the round, possibly the season.. However the 9,10 and 12 from the green and gold will be too strong. Villa by 5.

pundit

Herbert Moran (7)
It's been a wet couple of days and I imagine there will be some heavy tracks out there today. I'm assuming most teams will be trying to keep it as tight as possible today and playing it in the forwards. Do the conditions change anyone's predictions?

Jenkins9876

Herbert Moran (7)
St Pats defeated Marist, 19-10. Tremendous defensive display by the boys on green and gold. Their centre pairing is immense. Tore holes through Marist back line. Forwards were lining up and picking off everything Marist threw at them.

mates95

Allen Oxlade (6)
st peters 24 - Iona 12

17-12 half time

iona spent about 80% of 2nd half in peters 22 and couldnt break the line

both teams played hard. abit scrappy at points.

best team won

pundit

Herbert Moran (7)
Padua 28 d Villa 22. A solid all round performance by the brown and gold. Score line makes Villa look good. They scored two late tries and were never really in it.

HitemHigh

Bob McCowan (2)
SEC defeated SLC in a lackluster game. Not sure sure of the score, there wasnt too much in it. Neither team showed any physicality at all. The SEC outside backs received terrible service and the likes of Setu had no impact at all. Defense from both sides was weak all over the park. Both sides need to harden up.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Pats over Ash is that for real? upset!

Typical day out at St Peters Iona dominate St Peters in every match, one game being 90-0 14s? until the 1st play then it's a different story how do they do it?
A typical St Peters backline will cause headaches this season.
Who is the 12 for Peters, a real handful player of the match.

KingProp

Bob McCowan (2)
Pats over Ash is that for real? upset!

Typical day out at St Peters Iona dominate St Peters in every match, one game being 90-0 14s? until the 1st play then it's a different story how do they do it?
A typical St Peters backline will cause headaches this season.
Who is the 12 for Peters, a real handful player of the match.

Lack of depth, numbers and size affects Peters teams in the lower age groups, take this years 16A's beaten by 7pts today but came home with a wet sail. This team was beat 101-0 by villa 2 years ago, same kids but bigger stronger etc, a couple of 16year olds were in firsts so these boys should be ok next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.