• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Wizard

Frank Row (1)
If expelled from a GPS in senior years you are not allowed to go to another GPS school. This prevents players being shopped around.
These two who are mentioned were not head hunted, especially Sikameti. Sound player, would not a say he dominates in any way, especially from the wing.

Eric Grothe Sr

Frank Nicholson (4)
Expelled or not what difference does it make.
Still imports, you can argue as much as you want and say all the bullshit you want their kids that should be competing in GPS not dominating in AIC
I am not quite sure what your point is here - "should be playing GPS" - why should they? Speaking like the school teacher that I was: men/ladies/boys/girls often choose different pathways. The current SPC coach is a great mentor to young men and the current Head of Sport was at BBC as Primary sportsmaster. What is wrong with giving people a chance when there is already a connection? I also think it is uncalled for that we are mentioning young people's names in such negative light. They are not pro's yet in the slightest, although us adults treat them like they are. Rugbychat101's previous mentioning of an Aussie Schoolboy from last year's St Pat's team and his 'education' is also way off. If he was there to play rugby only why was he behind the tryline giving this year's boys water during last weekend's drubbing by Eddies? I have never met a young man or woman who should be playing at a certain level but have met so many parents and coaches who refuse to role-model humility. I have said it before (accidentally in GPS thread), anyone who thinks we should be treating anybody 'elite' should read the 65+ report into Australia's swimming failure at 2012 Olympics. "Send them back to their clubs," was a key recommendation. Sounds like one of the boys mentioned who is now an U/20 player for Australia may well be heading in the right direction in this regard after only one year at a school and in the AIC competition.

Eric Grothe Sr

Frank Nicholson (4)
Haha I think the GPS is more like the La Liga in Spain with a 2 or 3 horse race between Nudgee, Churchie and TSS. You might get the occasional good year from BGS or Terrace though. AIC would be more comparable with English Premier League as there is potentially 4-6 schools who can show their dominance now. But onto another topic, it would be interesting to see if one day they could bring in a relegation and promotion between GPS and AIC, that would be very interesting to see. In terms of its structure, you could have a tally of all sports combined based on aggregate results and have the bottom school from GPS be relegated into AIC and then have the top school of AIC be promoted. Or you could have the bottom 2 of GPS drop down and then the top 2 of AIC be promoted the next year. How interesting would that be!?!?
Would be interesting indeed but I love the AIC competition the way it is.

The Wizard

Frank Row (1)
I am not quite sure what your point is here - "should be playing GPS" - why should they? Speaking like the school teacher that I was: men/ladies/boys/girls often choose different pathways. The current SPC coach is a great mentor to young men and the current Head of Sport was at BBC as Primary sportsmaster. What is wrong with giving people a chance when there is already a connection? I also think it is uncalled for that we are mentioning young people's names in such negative light. They are not pro's yet in the slightest, although us adults treat them like they are. Rugbychat101's previous mentioning of an Aussie Schoolboy from last year's St Pat's team and his 'education' is also way off. If he was there to play rugby only why was he behind the tryline giving this year's boys water during last weekend's drubbing by Eddies? I have never met a young man or woman who should be playing at a certain level but have met so many parents and coaches who refuse to role-model humility. I have said it before (accidentally in GPS thread), anyone who thinks we should be treating anybody 'elite' should read the 65+ report into Australia's swimming failure at 2012 Olympics. "Send them back to their clubs," was a key recommendation. Sounds like one of the boys mentioned who is now an U/20 player for Australia may well be heading in the right direction in this regard after only one year at a school and in the AIC competition.

I could not agree more. You have nailed it. You earn a shot, you should not be given spot.

Rugbychat101

Stan Wickham (3)
Sick of bitching, time for tips.
Iona vs St Patricks: Iona
Ashgrove vs Eddies: Ashgrove
Padua vs St Laurence's: Padua
St Peters vs Villanova: Peters
Rugbychat101 out !

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
OK guys we are getting some non-rugby posts and circular discussions which are more about other posters than the rugby.

There is also discussion about bursaries, scholarships and dodgy recruitment procedures.

These matters are prohibited - read the rules of the schoolboy forum.

There is a thread for these topics - use it.

We will start deleting posts from now on that pertain to such matters, wholly or partly. We will also delete posts we think are addressing such topics, even if we are wrong.

That is the penalty. If infringements persist we will have to go to cards.

No, it is not a democracy - the health of the thread is more important than fine feelings.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
mods, just as this thread was becoming interesting, I guess Lee Grant wants us to head over to the scholarships thread and join in the discussion about weight grading and the AAGPS because it's so relevant to the AIC.

aic_thug

Frank Row (1)
Looks as though SLC are more worried about the crowds they get rather than their actual performance

However I must admit, very impressive video. Well put together

qldRU

Allen Oxlade (6)
my tips for this weekend

iona vs pats - Pats 7+

villa vs peter - Villa 3-7

eddies vs ashgrove - Ashgrove 7+

padua vs lauries - Padua 12+

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Pats over Iona 21-20 lack of discipline cost Iona the game missed goal kicking did also not help.
Pats were good, but don't have the fire power to go all the way.
Pats are certainly the big improvers in the comp. congrates to them for that. Pats winning all A games apart from the 14s.

Mainsail

Frank Nicholson (4)
Well done to Villanova 1st XV for a good win against SPLC (38-24 ?). Just too big and powerful. Backs managed to shut down SPLC pretty effectively.

Well done to St.Peters for a 6-3 Aggregate result away from home.
Wins for 13A,14A,15B,15A,16s and 2ndXV.

HitemHigh

Bob McCowan (2)
Eddies beat Ashgrove. Tight game. What was the final score, does anyone know? . Ashgrove played well, seemed to have the majority of possession and territorial advantage thanks to their cohesive fowards. Eddies often seemed indecisive with the ball and regularly turned it over which was a shame because their outside backs were threatening. Hopefully they can get firing. Converted penalties and an untiring defense earned SEC the points.

HitemHigh

Bob McCowan (2)
Another thing, as an eddies old boy, its so disappointing to come support the 1st team at home and year after year the travelling supporters always out number the SEC supporters. Ashgrove students outnumbered SEC 3 to 1 and cheered all day. The small group of eddies supporters surrounding me were also voicing their disappointment and some promptly left early in the game. Some sport enthusiast parents were talking about local schools (not in AIC) and how their teams are almost revered by their peers. Which is worrying because parents see this and will send their talented kids to other schools. I remember when i was at SEC we used to pack the hill with support, always cheered loud and in numbers and the first teams back then werent performing as well as they have been recently. The coaching staff are obviously doing a great job. The problem is cultural. Is there anyone that lurks these forums from the school that has an influence on the rugby/sporting culture? Something needs to be done.

KingProp

Bob McCowan (2)
Well done to Villanova 1st XV for a good win against SPLC (38-24 ?). Just too big and powerful. Backs managed to shut down SPLC pretty effectively.

Well done to St.Peters for a 6-3 Aggregate result away from home.
Wins for 13A,14A,15B,15A,16s and 2ndXV.
Of note: the 16A win was significant for the SPLC boys - First A's win in this age group in 4 years and significant turn-around from the 101-0 result 2 years ago against this team

The Mist

Frank Row (1)
St Pats with a nail biting win over IONA, I don't think the lads in green and gold performed very well today, St Pats forward too lazy against the Iona Forwards, backs did not have the aggression they had with Ashgrove in tackling and running the ball. The Patties boys would have won by a large margin if they played much structured football. Other than that they are a team that prove to the AIC Rugby Community that they are a force to be reckoned with.

Your Sincerely
The Mist

connors-david

Frank Row (1)
To sum up Padua's victory over Laurie's is a tough one, both teams playing extremely well with Laurie's being dominant in every aspect except for the scoring tries part. In the last 10 minutes SLC were on Padua's line with forward momentum where the referee made a debatable call of hands in the ruck even though the player was simply picking and driving his own ball. This caused Padua to make a clearance kick off a line out where the number 9 Laurie's player called a mark but the referee did not allow it. Therefor Padua with building pressure got over the line. This however fired the Laurie's boys up with an almost immediate return try to have the boys back to 6 points down, but unfortunately, in the last 3 minutes, Padua collected a sloppy ball from Laurie's causing a full field runaway try down the sideline. Definently an improvement from the men in black, star players including Ed dennin(second row/flanker) Tom Beikoff on debut (second row/ flanker) and Ian Fillipo (fullback) dispite his poor decisions throughout the game, a very good game. Laurie's have finally found their feet

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
Padua Vs St Patrick's this weekend is hands down going to be the biggest game of the round, potentially a decider in who will continue on in the race for the AIC First XV premiership. The Northside derby always produces the best footy from both colleges regardless of their squad depth and skill. A massive crowd is expected at Banyo as always for this passionate rivalry. Padua are hot favourites but St Patrick's always step up for this game as both schools want the bragging rights. I think ever since 2011 when Padua beat St Pats on their home ground to secure the AIC First XV premiership, the rivalry has grown immensely. I'd put this rivalry on the same level with Marist Ashgrove vs St Laurence's in terms of passion and pride for both schools. What is everyone's thoughts on AIC rivalries? Which colleges have the biggest rivalry and why? Just another topic of discussion away from the usual scholarship and bursary discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.