• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbychat101

Stan Wickham (3)
Game of the round would have to be Pats vs Padua. Going to be a huge battle around the ruck with both teams improving their pilfering skills each round.
Some matchups that are going to be great are
C.Gentile vs J.Sikimeti
J.Fewings vs R.Glenn
C.Morris vs D.Robinson

Mr.Footy

Bob McCowan (2)
Forum Members, Admin and Clifton, Welcome once again to Tipping Night TM.

This is a massive round as everyone will be keen to see if Eddies or Padua will finally lose and ruin their unbeaten streak. There is a chance of this happening as both the teams they are playing have been quite competitive this season. As well as this, both teams only just scraped together a win last round. And here we go. (Yes, that is a Dark Knight reference)

Pats Vs Padua - Padua 1-12
Sorry Pats, I just don't see this one going your way. One word that could describe Padua's efforts this season is clutch. Although they may not have been the better team in all of their matches, they sure have displayed some guts to ensure they come away with the W. In this one however, I can see the Paduans destroying in the forwards and spreading it in the backs, leading to many points. Pats will try, but will fall short.

Peters Vs Eddies - Peters 1-12
Upset Alert! After coming away with an unconvincing win last week against Ashgrove, I can't see Eddie's going the season undefeated. I also believe that this is the week. Peter's will bounce back after a solid loss to Villa where their centre pairing finally started working in unison. Peters however will be too strong in this one coming away with a solid, hard fought win. Clifton didn't really receive a lot of ball last week as a result of a dominating performance from Ashgrove forwards, Peters will to follow suit.

Villa vs Ashgrove - Ashgrove 1-12
Massive week for the Blue and Good this round. I'm talking "Old Boy" round and fighting for their season. I truly believe that Ashgrove need to win this game, it is a must. With this being said, the same can be stated about Villa siting in the same position as Marist. Villa centre paring have just started doing what they were supposed to all season long and it couldn't come at a worse time for Ashgrove. Look for hard hits and big runs, massive task for the centres at Ashgrove but I think they're up for it. Ashgrove end up taking the win in an interesting game filled with passion.

Laurie's vs Iona - Lauries 1-12
I just said that Ashgrove's game this week is a must win. Consider that an understatement for Laurie's this week. They simply cannot allow themselves to lose, they must fight until the final whistle and put on a courageous display which will earn them a win. Their fullback was outstanding last week and was a bright spot in an otherwise heartbreaking loss. Iona will be tough but I just think that the idea of Laurie's going 0-4 is too much to handle. Therefore, Laurie's comes away with a W, their first of the season.

As Always, Keep Learning.
Your Teacher, Mr Footy

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
Let's get some early tips for this weekend
pats Vs Padua - Padua by 3 (game of the round)
peters Vs Eddies -eddies by 12+
Villa vs ashgrove - ashgrove >10
Laurie's vs Iona -Laurie's >7

Padua by 5-10
Eddies by 5-10
Ashgrove by 10-14
Lauries by 5-10

Very close round in all games to be honest, might see a few upsets. Game of the round is the Northside Derby between the Brown and Gold of Padua and the Green and Gold of St Patricks. It's gonna come down to who wants it more, not necessarily skill. The more passionate and courageous outfit will win this one. As for Peters vs Eddies, there could be a late scare in the game from the peters outfit, eddies might have to dig deep to really state their claims of being a real contender this year. Ashgrove should beat villa in this round, don't know why villa was talked up so much this year. Iona vs Lauries is looking like a close game as well, I'm backing the Black and Gold to bounce back after last weeks defeat against Padua.

Rugbychat101

Stan Wickham (3)
Time for tips-
Pats Vs Padua - Padua by 3

Peters Vs Eddies - Peters by 5

Villa vs Ashgrove - Ashgrove by 5

Laurie's vs Iona - Iona by 14

behindthescenes

Allen Oxlade (6)
Forum Members, Admin and Clifton, Welcome once again to Tipping Night TM.

This is a massive round as everyone will be keen to see if Eddies or Padua will finally lose and ruin their unbeaten streak. There is a chance of this happening as both the teams they are playing have been quite competitive this season. As well as this, both teams only just scraped together a win last round. And here we go. (Yes, that is a Dark Knight reference)

Pats Vs Padua - Padua 1-12
Sorry Pats, I just don't see this one going your way. One word that could describe Padua's efforts this season is clutch. Although they may not have been the better team in all of their matches, they sure have displayed some guts to ensure they come away with the W. In this one however, I can see the Paduans destroying in the forwards and spreading it in the backs, leading to many points. Pats will try, but will fall short.

Mr footy,
Some insightful previews to this round once again- I do enjoy reading your posts. I would, however, like to draw your attention to one comment you made about Padua not being the better team in the games they won so far this season... Would you like to elaborate on this please? From an outsider looking in, I feel you may be a little harsh on the Paduan boys here.. Looking at results and hearing about their games, It seems they have been pretty convincing in their performances- maybe you have a different view and I'd love to hear it?? Which game/s do you feel they weren't the better side in?

On a side note, I've got a good feeling about Villa this weekend. Their coaching staff have had a limited preparation with their team (due to McBrides late withdrawal) and I reckon they are a work in progress who are about to explode in a good way. And I agree with the St. Peter's predictions too - if they can execute.. They have so many points in that backline.

behindthescenes

Allen Oxlade (6)
Mr footy,
Some insightful previews to this round once again- I do enjoy reading your posts. I would, however, like to draw your attention to one comment you made about Padua not being the better team in the games they won so far this season. Would you like to elaborate on this please? From an outsider looking in, I feel you may be a little harsh on the Paduan boys here.. Looking at results and hearing about their games, It seems they have been pretty convincing in their performances- maybe you have a different view and I'd love to hear it?? Which game/s do you feel they weren't the better side in?

On a side note, I've got a good feeling about Villa this weekend. Their coaching staff have had a limited preparation with their team (due to McBrides late withdrawal) and I reckon they are a work in progress who are about to explode in a good way. And I agree with the St. Peter's predictions too - if they can execute.. They have so many points in that backline.p

Rugby Mentor Greg

Stan Wickham (3)
In my opinion round four could blow the competition wide open, with various key match ups, it's do or die for Pats, Peters, Ashgrove, Iona and Villanova.

Padua vs Pats- Pats by 5
Expecting an absoloute thriller at Banyo on Saturday and I'm tipping Pats desperation to get them across the line. Paduas backbone has been getting out to and early lead then holding on at the end. However an emotional Pats side will come out firing and Paduas inability to play for the full 70 minutes will hurt them

Villanova vs Marist- Villanova by 3
Do or die for both teams however I'm tipping Villanova. Coming off a much needed win against a strong Peters side they are just finding their form. A win could see them stay in the premiership hunt. Although Marist has a strong outfit, team morale must be low after Having one of the most unsuccessful starts to the competition in school history.

Eddies vs Peters-eddies by 10
Expecting eddies to be the only undefeated team left after four rounds. Simply will be too big and too strong in the forwards and the backs will work hard to shut down peters dangerous outside backs and get the job done.

Laurie's vs Iona- Iona by 15+
Laurie's best chance at a win went out the window last week losing a close game to Padua, wouldn't expect much noise from them for the rest of the year. Iona will simply be too good and stay with an outside chance of the premiership with an easy win over Laurie's

Mr.Footy

Bob McCowan (2)
Mr footy,
Some insightful previews to this round once again- I do enjoy reading your posts. I would, however, like to draw your attention to one comment you made about Padua not being the better team in the games they won so far this season. Would you like to elaborate on this please? From an outsider looking in, I feel you may be a little harsh on the Paduan boys here.. Looking at results and hearing about their games, It seems they have been pretty convincing in their performances- maybe you have a different view and I'd love to hear it?? Which game/s do you feel they weren't the better side in?

On a side note, I've got a good feeling about Villa this weekend. Their coaching staff have had a limited preparation with their team (due to McBrides late withdrawal) and I reckon they are a work in progress who are about to explode in a good way. And I agree with the St. Peter's predictions too - if they can execute.. They have so many points in that backline.p

Hi behindthescenes, it would be my pleasure.

Just off some news that Padua only just managed to win last weeks game against Lauries off the back of a 100m try by their winger. I wasn't present at the match, was just making an assumption based on this last ditched effort.

Also heard that the Padua and St Peters game was quite close physically.

Just an opinion. But yes, I do have them winning this week as I do believe that they are a definite contender and one of the favorites now.

Cheers for the feedback

Rugbychat101

Stan Wickham (3)
Padua with a comfortable win over the Northside rivals 28-10. Padua were just to good in d and shut down both centres from pats
Very big game next week Ashgrove vs Padua

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
Padua with a comfortable win over the Northside rivals 28-10. Padua were just to good in d and shut down both centres from pats
Very big game next week Ashgrove vs Padua

Watched the Padua and Pats game today and Padua were very well drilled and disciplined. Pats seemed to have lost it after the 2nd try, the negative body language from players was showing and didn't seem like it was their day. Usually Pats step up their game to another level in this grudge match against the Kedron boys but unfortunately they will have to live without the bragging rights for now. Next week's blockbuster would definitely be the Ashgrove vs Padua game with Padua looking very strong at the moment and Ashgrove finding some form against Villa this week. It's coming into the later stage of the competition, with Padua and Eddies looking like the favourites with Ashgrove closely following. A win for Padua next weekend will be a massive step forward in their premiership hunt, while a win for ashgrove will put them back in the race. Looks like we've got some exciting games coming up.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Iona defeated Lauries 27-15 fairly evenly matched teams Iona bit more Gritty.
Lauries snatch a couple of last minutes wins in the 2nds and 16a
apart from those Iona dominated the day out at Runcorn

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Ashgrove won all their rugby matches today, with 197 points scored between the Firsts, Seconds and Thirds (44-5, 91-0 and 62-0 respectively).

And people thought Ashgrove rugby was dying.

Ballymore68

Bob McCowan (2)
I stayed back after my sons game today, to watch the Ashgrove First XV against Villanova. I watched with much interest after seeing other old boys rue the "glory days" of Ashgrove rugby and comment on how poor the current state of their rugby was. Well to those people, I say put your worries and criticism to rest.

After the Second XV blasted Villa 91-0, Head of Sport Phil Holding and their Headmaster put on a touching ceremony to celebrate the past players of First XV's from 50, 40 and 30 years ago. I commend the College for doing this, as it was an outstanding display of respect for those who once pulled on the gold jersey on a Saturday afternoon.

Now, to the game. What I saw from their current First XV, was a determined performance from a side who outplayed, outclassed and out-enthused their opponents. At one point in the game, right before half time, Ashgrove had 13 men on the field. Not only did they hold out Villa, they put another 3 points on them in that period. After half time, Villa came out a beaten side, and Ashgrove put them away with ease, scoring a number of outstanding long range tries in the process. I have heard Villanova had some of their players out injured today, however their side looked flat and disorganised in comparison to Ashgrove.

Finally, I would like to congratulate the Ashgrove boys on their support today, they boasted one of the biggest "swarms" I have seen today and completely shutout a tiny Villa group. Well done to Ashgrove today, they did their past students proud on and off the field on Old Boys day. I will most certainly be staying back again for the Padua game next week, it should be one of the matches of the season.

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
Ashgrove won all their rugby matches today, with 197 points scored between the Firsts, Seconds and Thirds (44-5, 91-0 and 62-0 respectively).

And people thought Ashgrove rugby was dying.

In terms of their First XV teams since 2007, they are not as strong as they used to be. What's happening to Villa? looks like their rugby program is going down hill.

Codeunion

Peter Burge (5)
In terms of their First XV teams since 2007, they are not as strong as they used to be. What's happening to Villa? looks like their rugby program is going down hill.
Very dissapointing lost for the villanova boys, although 3 usuall starters in the back line did not play no. 11 Sam thong (injury) also no. 13 Cameron Torpy & no. 10 Ryan Cameron away for state championships rugby league

GusGoold

Frank Row (1)
The only way to describe Villanova's season so far is unlucky, with more of this negative luck being noted over the weekend. Both flankers suffered knee injuries on the weekend and were not looking too good, and AIC prospect William Sankey went down injured as well. By the look of it their season could not get any worse. The loss of these three players, one of which is their captain, spells out the misfortune that they have had throughout the 2014 season

Status
Not open for further replies.