• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amanwholovesfooty

Bob McCowan (2)
In relation to the Marist game.
Just out of curiosity are Marist a well drilled side? And where do they play most of their game.
I know the Padua side like to keep it in with their dominate forwards and use the backs less.
It will be a great game this weekend between Padua and Marist, I hear a lot of talk that this is the game Marist want to win then any other game this season. Can Padua rack up their first ever win against Ashgrove only time will tell.

Gary Smith

Stan Wickham (3)
Just out of curiosity are Marist a well drilled side? And where do they play most of their game.
I know the Padua side like to keep it in with their dominate forwards and use the backs less.
It will be a great game this weekend between Padua and Marist, I hear a lot of talk that this is the game Marist want to win then any other game this season. Can Padua rack up their first ever win against Ashgrove only time will tell.

I honestly believe the Padua side will run rings around Ashgrove, I don't believe the ashgrove side was that well drilled rather they are just big boys. Both sides play quite similar as when they enter the opposing sides 22 they just pick & drive, so it will be interesting to see how each team handles eachother. But I am picking Padua to win this one.

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
Good morning AIC enthusiasts,

First of all I'd like to congratulate every school on a fantastic season so far, it appears that we have a very competitive schoolboy competition which has its positives over other schoolboy competitions around Queensland and Australia. This is promising as the AIC is only 15 years young! From what I've seen so far, it is clearly obvious that certain schools have stepped up their rugby programs to compete with the stronger traditional rugby schools. We are no longer seeing massive blow outs in games every week and the weaker teams are getting stronger each year. I would like to think that Marist College Ashgrove has set an example for the other schools and hopefully soon we will see Marist College Ashgrove be defeated for the first time in the AIC rugby aggregate!

Secondly, I like to raise the issue of potentially moving the AIC rugby season to term 3 along side the GPS competition to allow for lower ranked teams (D's, E's, 4th's, 5th's etc) to be able to have a game against other schools instead versing another team from their school each week. Or a 14 week based competition running over the course of term 3 and 4. What are everyone's thoughts on this? I personally hate to see when two or three schools tie for a premiership and I believe that a 7 week season is relatively short for the amount of preparation and training that is put in by schools. I know for a fact that some schools will start their First XV preparation and training for the next season not long after the previous season has finished. A potential 14 week competition will allow for teams who have lost a game or two to be able to regroup and rebuild their premiership chances.

Last but not least, I will like to wish every year 12 player all the best for the final 3 rounds and to cherish the days of playing in your school colours with your mates. They are certainly some of the best days of your lives.

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
Also, in regards to the 14 week competition idea, it can be introduced as term 3 and 4 currently has basketball, tennis and athletics spread out. Ideally you could push these sports into term 4 and make way for rugby in term 3 as well. Just an idea and would love to see what everyone's thoughts are. In recent times we have seen more and more schools share the AIC First XV trophy and it just isn't the same feeling for the players and the schools themselves.

Rugby Mentor Greg

Stan Wickham (3)
Also, in regards to the 14 week competition idea, it can be introduced as term 3 and 4 currently has basketball, tennis and athletics spread out. Ideally you could push these sports into term 4 and make way for rugby in term 3 as well. Just an idea and would love to see what everyone's thoughts are. In recent times we have seen more and more schools share the AIC First XV trophy and it just isn't the same feeling for the players and the schools themselves.
As convenient as a 14 week season would be, I think playing sport throughout term 4 is impractical as year 12s only have classes for a few week then go into final exams and actually finish earlier than the rest of the school. Nobody wants to see the premiership coming down to a battle of the 16 As

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)

Ashgrove aren't that well drilled. Discipline seems to the be the issue with most of the teams in the comp - they just don't have it. Despite winning well, the yellow card for offside is justified. I counted at least 5 offside penalties. Any decent team would have swooped and made them pay. Sadly Villa didn't have the cattle to do so. Iona gave away a heap of penalties the previous week too. Just dumb decisions.
The results in the last few weeks could simply come down to who has the best discipline rather than skill set

Buggie

Frank Row (1)
Just interested if anyone has a table of all age groups with wins/losses etc for 2014, like in the 2013 discussion. Would be interested to see whether MCA are on track for another rugby aggregate?

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Just interested if anyone has a table of all age groups with wins/losses etc for 2014, like in the 2013 discussion. Would be interested to see whether MCA are on track for another rugby aggregate?
Buggie, 55 minutes ago Report

My understanding is that Ashgrove has only lost 3 games across all AIC grades so far this season, the 1st XV games v SPC and SEC and the 14A's v SLC.
On that basis, the aggregate looks pretty safe for MCA at the moment.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
As convenient as a 14 week season would be, I think playing sport throughout term 4 is impractical as year 12s only have classes for a few week then go into final exams and actually finish earlier than the rest of the school. Nobody wants to see the premiership coming down to a battle of the 16 As

I think it would be better for AIC to have a 14 week season for Rugby and Soccer, for 1st's and A's at least, between terms 2 and 3, plus maybe a final at the end. Have a proper and meaningful season that would give the Premiership to the best team in the competition rather than have a 3 way tie.

Dale Upton

Bob McCowan (2)
I went over to see the St Peters vs Eddies 1XV last Saturday and it was a real show, the St Peters put in a real good fight in the first 20 mins of the match with good aggression from the forwards and looked like it was going to be an even match with both backs matched evenly with attacking and good defending. But after half time Peters players fell like flies with a good handful of starting players injured. So after half time the butcher stripes just gave away tries left right and centre, the eddies backs shut down Peters backs with ease and Eddies forward ran all over Peters. Heard that a few boys from Peters were away on the Queensland Rugby League camp. But A couple of standouts from Peters really caught my eye, the 12 who got injured, Peters 9 who got quick ball out of the ruck and gave clean ball to the backs who were shut down also Peters 7 who was a strong ball carrier and could stand his own against the bigger Eddies side, he had good rucking and tackling technique also. but from eddies the star 15 Setu played a really good game with strong runs almost breaking the line every run, and their collective loose forwards turning over ball when they needed to. But a great win for eddies non the less and the best for the rest of their AIC 2014 season.

qldRU

Allen Oxlade (6)
I went over to see the St Peters vs Eddies 1XV last Saturday and it was a real show, the St Peters put in a real good fight in the first 20 mins of the match with good aggression from the forwards and looked like it was going to be an even match with both backs matched evenly with attacking and good defending. But after half time Peters players fell like flies with a good handful of starting players injured. So after half time the butcher stripes just gave away tries left right and centre, the eddies backs shut down Peters backs with ease and Eddies forward ran all over Peters. Heard that a few boys from Peters were away on the Queensland Rugby League camp. But A couple of standouts from Peters really caught my eye, the 12 who got injured, Peters 9 who got quick ball out of the ruck and gave clean ball to the backs who were shut down also Peters 7 who was a strong ball carrier and could stand his own against the bigger Eddies side, he had good rucking and tackling technique also. but from eddies the star 15 Setu played a really good game with strong runs almost breaking the line every run, and their collective loose forwards turning over ball when they needed to. But a great win for eddies non the less and the best for the rest of their AIC 2014 season.

very similiar to the villa vs ashgrove game... in my opinion if SPLC were in full strength they would have taken this one down to the last 10 minutes, while i believe if villa were full strength they would have gotten the better of ashgrove.
noticeably i saw Woolf (15) and Tapitata (13) from SPLC at the State Championships in Mackay for League along with Cameron (10) and Torpy (13) from Villa

nathen coot

Bob McCowan (2)
Peters backline is still the most dangerous however due to the unfit forwards they havent been getting much clean ball. I witnessed Peters vs Eddies last week and the peters forwards were getting hammered by a big eddies pack. Tatipata and Woolf both being out due to the QLD U'16 rugby league team playing tommorow night before origin. they would of had a huge impact on the peters vs eddies game.

nathen coot

Bob McCowan (2)
does anyone know Peters and Lauries lineup for this weekend?
i believe peters will be too strong throughout the whole side, especially in the backs if the same starting side is on.

Managreve

Stan Wickham (3)
Aic 1 predictions this far into season ?
It should be picked on form not loyalty.

I get confused when people ask for AIC form predictions ....who is going around seeing ALL the games? Surely people are only seeing there team play weekly and each other team only once ! ...FORM cannot be assumed from this. AIC selections need to take ALL factors into consideration to produce the very best possible team to take on GPS...Who by the way are trialing and selecting the GPS teams this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.