• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
You're spot on. Iona have been very unlucky in losing boys to GPS schools. The challenge for them (and all other AIC schools) is to develop the culture and program that makes their students want to stay.

That is exactly what Padua is doing right now and it is showing with their recent aggregate and first xv results. Iona seem to be on the decline in all sports for that matter, maybe the culture is slowly fading away? I know that their track and field has significantly dropped off in the past 2 years. Maybe they aren't getting the same kinds of students that they were getting say 5-10 years ago?

Derick Slater

Chris McKivat (8)
That is exactly what Padua is doing right now and it is showing with their recent aggregate and first xv results. Iona seem to be on the decline in all sports for that matter, maybe the culture is slowly fading away? I know that their track and field has significantly dropped off in the past 2 years. Maybe they aren't getting the same kinds of students that they were getting say 5-10 years ago?

The culture will always be there. The super talented students won't be. Words cannot describe how ripped off Iona have been in the last 5 years by GPS schools.

1. Taekata - 150kg prop currently playing for St Stanislaus in Sydney.
4. Acworth - 105kg+ second rower who played for Churchie 1st XV in 2013/2014.
5. Bakker - 100kg+ lock/LF scholared to Nudgee for rowing a few years ago.
13. Stanghorn - Talented center currently playing Churchie 1st XV. Was thought to be on the same talent level as Wilkin.

All I can think of at the moment but these players would have boosted Iona from 7th to top 3 in 2014. It's sad to see the continued drain in the talent pool but it's something that most AIC schools will have to try and stop.

Corne Uyc

Chris McKivat (8)
The culture will always be there. The super talented students won't be. Words cannot describe how ripped off Iona have been in the last 5 years by GPS schools.

1. Taekata - 150kg prop currently playing for St Stanislaus in Sydney.
4. Acworth - 105kg+ second rower who played for Churchie 1st XV in 2013/2014.
5. Bakker - 100kg+ lock/LF scholared to Nudgee for rowing a few years ago.
13. Stanghorn - Talented center currently playing Churchie 1st XV. Was thought to be on the same talent level as Wilkin.

All I can think of at the moment but these players would have boosted Iona from 7th to top 3 in 2014. It's sad to see the continued drain in the talent pool but it's something that most AIC schools will have to try and stop.
Don't feel Iona is the only school ripped off. Over the last few years since GPS and AIC have run in different terms it has given the GPS a leg up. There have been plenty of kids running around for their AIC school in term 2 and then playing GPS in term three. Particularly in the u13s & 14s. This year won't be any different. Only way to stem the flow is for the two associations to play in the same term

IDMSportmedia

Herbert Moran (7)
My tips:
Lauries vs Villa; Lauries by 5 (I haven't really got any knowledge of either of these teams but I am fairly sure Lauries have a better standard of players especially in the flanks)
Padua vs Eddies; WHOEVER CONVERTS TRYS The biggest match of the year for both teams, evenly matched across the pitch, I believe it will come down to who turns up on the day
Ashgrove vs Iona; Ashgrove by 40 enough said
Peters vs Pats; Peters by 5 but I hope Pats win because Shorncliffe need a win

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
My tips:
Lauries vs Villa; Lauries by 5 (I haven't really got any knowledge of either of these teams but I am fairly sure Lauries have a better standard of players especially in the flanks)
Padua vs Eddies; WHOEVER CONVERTS TRYS The biggest match of the year for both teams, evenly matched across the pitch, I believe it will come down to who turns up on the day
Ashgrove vs Iona; Ashgrove by 40 enough said
Peters vs Pats; Peters by 5 but I hope Pats win because Shorncliffe need a win

Can anyone comment with any authority on whether SEC have any real chance of upsetting Padua tomorrow?

I don't think Padua are unbeatable by any stretch, with the standard of the top AIC teams this year seeming to be well below recent years.

For example, I reckon this year's Padua side would have finished 5th in 2013 behind Iona, SEC, SPLC and MCA, and I would rank it significantly below the 2014 teams of SEC, MCA and their own.

Having said that, I think home ground advantage will get Padua home both tomorrow and against SPLC, and you can only beat what's in front of you.

Koty30832

Allen Oxlade (6)
Does anyone think that Round 1 would make a big difference to the fact if it was played and not rained out? Maybe some teams could've had a different start to the season. So does anyone think it wouldve made a impact on the teams performances this year?

behindthescenes

Allen Oxlade (6)
galloper you're not serious about that comparison are you ? This year's Padua team is a much more complete team than their team last year. They have genuine 1stXV players 1-15, last year they carried half a forward pack. Let's wait and see how the season ends up, but I reckon we'll be talking about this year's Padua team for years to come. Saying they would have finished 5th in 2013 is absolutely ridiculous. They were almost the first team EVER, to keep Ashgrove scoreless in a 1stXv game. (With 14 men for half the game and a very lopsided penalty count). Now admittably, Ashgrove aren't that strong this year, but it gives you an idea of the quality of their side.
Let's wait and see how the season unfolds...

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
galloper you're not serious about that comparison are you ? This year's Padua team is a much more complete team than their team last year. They have genuine 1stXV players 1-15, last year they carried half a forward pack. Let's wait and see how the season ends up, but I reckon we'll be talking about this year's Padua team for years to come. Saying they would have finished 5th in 2013 is absolutely ridiculous. They were almost the first team EVER, to keep Ashgrove scoreless in a 1stXv game. (With 14 men for half the game and a very lopsided penalty count). Now admittably, Ashgrove aren't that strong this year, but it gives you an idea of the quality of their side.
Let's wait and see how the season unfolds.

Very serious, although if you tell me that I'm overrating Padua's 2014 team I'll defer to your greater knowledge in that respect.

It's just my opinion of course, but I would say that the Padua team I watched last Saturday was a good, solid First XV team but, really, quite 'vanilla". I'm sure Ashgrove will be kicking themselves that they didn't win a game that they had at their mercy early in the second half. It seemed to me that we then fell apart as opposed to Padua taking us apart, but no doubt the better team won on the day. I'd fancy Ashgrove's chances in a return match at home, but we'll never know......

A simple measure of Padua's quality this year, in my view, is that if Creighton played 10 for Ashgrove last week they would almost certainly have won. Our young 10 just didn't handle the occasion, but he will greatly benefit from the experience.

This is the 44th year that I have been watching TAS/AIC First XV rugby. I wouldn't have Padua anywhere near the best 30 sides I have seen over that period, probably not in the top 40. Make of that what you will,but the bottom line is that so far in 2015 Padua has beaten SPC and MCA on a very bad day, so legendary status is still some way off.

Paduans might be talking about this team for years to come, as I expect them to now go through undefeated, but I highly doubt that anyone else will remember too much about them.

Mr.Footy

Bob McCowan (2)
Just had the pleasure of watching an outstanding performance at Ashgrove today. Although they lost to Padua last week, I can see at least half a dozen of the team potentially making AIC 1. Most notably, the blindside flanker. Wratten??? Scored a hatrick and every try was based off individual brilliance, also great defence. Watch out for him this season. Sad to see an Iona side with such little fight after many years of such strong first teams.

harriez_94

Frank Nicholson (4)
Just had the pleasure of watching an outstanding performance at Ashgrove today. Although they lost to Padua last week, I can see at least half a dozen of the team potentially making AIC 1. Most notably, the blindside flanker. Wratten??? Scored a hatrick and every try was based off individual brilliance, also great defence. Watch out for him this season. Sad to see an Iona side with such little fight after many years of such strong first teams.

Couldn't agree more. Absolutely outstanding performance from a number of Marist players, in particular I was extremely happy with the performance from Wratten (who is in year 11 mind you), the halfback Day (grade 10) as well as McKinnon (plays in second row). Ashgrove were a quality side today, unfortunate we won't see how they go against the likes of Eddies.

MCA seconds won convincingly, 66 - 10 or so I believe? Not 100% certain though.

Koty30832

Allen Oxlade (6)
41-28 Pats getting the upper hand today Peters didnt seem to be at their peak but Pats out played them around the park

IDMSportmedia

Herbert Moran (7)

That was against Iona, keep that in perspective.

Royalderry

Peter Burge (5)
That was against Iona, keep that in perspective.

Absolutely - lets be real for a second - NO Marist player outperformed his Paduan counterpart at Banyou last weekend - that is why MCA lost - they played ok and certainly didn't have a bad day, the defence was just too strong - the only MCA players that came close to matching their opposite number were the inside centre (PNG boy who was well contained), No.1 prop (good performance against bigger opposition) and the fullback who was quite elusive. If MCA gets a higher representation it would be selection (confirmation) bias - IMO Ashgrove played a brave game but gave up early in the second half when they realised they were not going to break the Paduan defensive line, which don't forget, was a man down for half the game as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.