• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royalderry

Peter Burge (5)
I wouldn't go as far as to allege corruption but there seems to be a selection bias in favour of the Marist boys - it is a confirmation bias really - "because they are at Ashgrove they must be better and were just having an off day agaist Padua , Eddies or Pats" - other school's sportsmaters/coaches may need to hold their ground more @ selection time?

the refs had the same confirmation bias when the 50/50 calls went to ash grove as the Eddies/Padua/Iona boys were Leaguies - this has gotten better of late but i know First XV refs and they used to complain about having to ref Padua because they didn't understand the game. Couple of years ago the ref cost Padua standalone premiership when he yellow-carded 3 players for breakdown TECHNICAL infringements -

I have spoken to Nudgee people who claim Marist get flogged when they play Nudgee and lose more games when up against Downlands.

Traditionally Marist have been so strong because a) much bigger numbers (not so much now but for a long time; b) boarding school so boys get out and run around instead of playing computer games; c) many of the boys play club rugby at GPS from the age of 5 so when the hit Grade 5 they have already played 5 years of rugby; d) biased refs at Ashgrove in the lower grades particularly (Dads, teachers and Old Boys!!!)

1:30 time is GREAT for getting families back to the grounds to support - gets dar and cold usually! - admittedly you lose your muppet old boy element in the back of utes drinking (still in bed at 1? hahaha)

Royalderry

Peter Burge (5)
IMHO the only Ashgrove back that almost shaded his Padua counterpart was the fullback - the 9 and 10 were miserable, the PNG boy in the centres looked great but could not penetrate a film of custard - the wingers were dominated by the Padua players - Ashgrove forwards were strong and deserved their spots.

The Ballkid

Herbert Moran (7)
I wouldn't go as far as to allege corruption but there seems to be a selection bias in favour of the Marist boys - it is a confirmation bias really - "because they are at Ashgrove they must be better and were just having an off day agaist Padua , Eddies or Pats" - other school's sportsmaters/coaches may need to hold their ground more @ selection time?

the refs had the same confirmation bias when the 50/50 calls went to ash grove as the Eddies/Padua/Iona boys were Leaguies - this has gotten better of late but i know First XV refs and they used to complain about having to ref Padua because they didn't understand the game. Couple of years ago the ref cost Padua standalone premiership when he yellow-carded 3 players for breakdown TECHNICAL infringements -

I have spoken to Nudgee people who claim Marist get flogged when they play Nudgee and lose more games when up against Downlands.

Traditionally Marist have been so strong because a) much bigger numbers (not so much now but for a long time; b) boarding school so boys get out and run around instead of playing computer games; c) many of the boys play club rugby at GPS from the age of 5 so when the hit Grade 5 they have already played 5 years of rugby; d) biased refs at Ashgrove in the lower grades particularly (Dads, teachers and Old Boys!!!)

1:30 time is GREAT for getting families back to the grounds to support - gets dar and cold usually! - admittedly you lose your muppet old boy element in the back of utes drinking (still in bed at 1? hahaha)

If 1:30 is great for families why don't they turn up?

Bring Back 3:15. The evidence is in St Pats Back to Shorncliffe Day, Ashgroves Old Boys Day at Lauries yesterday.

Greg Hemmings

Bob McCowan (2)
I'm not saying that the Ashgrove coach is bad, but he may have had a heavy influence on selection, given that he knew all the ashgrove's players abilities. You're saying that the competition Isn't in corruption(probably is a too strong of a statement) but I've heard that the whole 1st Squad and 16A's were nominated for AIC selection. This just shows what ignorance they have against other schools that probably only nominate their best players, maybe 4 on average. I've watched their game, and all these players aren't to AIC standard, so why?? I think it's a cultural thing, that is just apart of a traditional rugby school outlook, I don't know.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)

Royalderry, I won't even comment on the irony of you, of all people, accusing others of bias, but I will respond to a few other things you have said.

Firstly, of course most Ashgrove teams got smashed when they played Nudgee, what else would you expect when one school has at least 10 imports in each age group and the other has none? Take all imports out of a Nudgee A or First XV team to level the playing field and I'm confident that the better AIC schools would go OK against them.

Secondly, that's news to me about Ashgrove's results against Downlands. I'm not even sure when Ash last played Downlands, last First XV game I saw between these schools Ash won by 40 points, but even less sure how or why Nudgee parents would even know the results of any game below Firsts level.

Finally, for a Padua person to accuse another school of having biased refs is breathtakingly audacious. The antics of Padua refs trying to get their teams over he line are legendary, I saw a few great examples last year, but it's been going on for years and I'm sure many others would have similar stories.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
I felt for all the 1st xv players this season playing their games in front of such small and quiet crowds. It's a real achievement to represent your school at that level, and to have the opportunity to play in front of large vocal crowds taken away is very disappointing.

I can however confirm the sport/head masters are aware how unpopular this decision has been,
And when this decision was reached it was not supported by Marist ( due to traditions ) and Eddies (due lack of fields ). The rest of the bunch where enthusiast about the early finish ( we all like an early mark )
Hopefully they can see beyond their selfishness and consider the rest of the AIC community

Once again Congrates to Padua, I have enjoy watching some great rugby from all Schools and look forward to season 2016.

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
Perhaps some of you blokes should worry about your own back yards. Everybody has a story of bias refs, it happens everywhere and is one of the oddest things when grown men deliberately try to influence games played by kids. It is a good thing that Ashgrove doesn't win every game in every grade. What a boring competition it would be if they did. The quality of footy yesterday at St Laurence's yesterday was fantastic. Lauries have really enhanced their program and the games yesterday were an example of this. Padua and St Patrick's have really good rugby programs and it shows with the results this year. As for rep selection, every year there are odd selections and school bias. This year there are a couple of questionable selections, guess what the same thing happens every year. It isn't an Ashgrove thing, it is everywhere. It was evident last week in the BJRU rep selections, calls of school bias were heard loud and clear last weekend. We are talking about boys developing into men and having positive role models around them. Leave it alone and let the boys play and grow up and leave the grudges from years ago out of it! It's the boys time to enjoy their rugby experiences without worrying about what crusty cranky old men think.

JR2

Bob McCowan (2)
The 14As Lauries vs Ashgrove was a very hard fought game,the difference being the Lauries winger who scored 2 tries and whose defence was excellent.Without him Ashgrove probably win.The whole day seemed to be a great success with plenty of supporters from both schools.

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
Royalderry, I won't even comment on the irony of you, of all people, accusing others of bias, but I will respond to a few other things you have said.

Firstly, of course most Ashgrove teams got smashed when they played Nudgee, what else would you expect when one school has at least 10 imports in each age group and the other has none? Take all imports out of a Nudgee A or First XV team to level the playing field and I'm confident that the better AIC schools would go OK against them.

Secondly, that's news to me about Ashgrove's results against Downlands. I'm not even sure when Ash last played Downlands, last First XV game I saw between these schools Ash won by 40 points, but even less sure how or why Nudgee parents would even know the results of any game below Firsts level.

Finally, for a Padua person to accuse another school of having biased refs is breathtakingly audacious. The antics of Padua refs trying to get their teams over he line are legendary, I saw a few great examples last year, but it's been going on for years and I'm sure many others would have similar stories.

FYI BBC put 50 points on Ashgrove in a trial this season and there is no way BBC will get close to Nudgee this year

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
you must be very proud of yourself/son, I'm sure it was a TEAM effot JR2
No, JR2 is quite accurate in his assessment of the difference in the 2 sides. That winger was everywhere! His defence shut down many Ashgrove threats and his athleticism to score 2 tries was outstanding. Apparently, it is his first year of rugby, which is hard to believe given his technique at the breakdown after making tackles. Of course, the rest of the Lauries team contributed but he was definitely the difference.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)

Yes, agree about the importation impacts at NC. Would love to see how Nudgee go without imports......actually, last year I did see it when they were beaten by Ashgrove's 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa) by 60 or 70 points. This Ashgrove team had lost every game in their CIC season but finished with a game against Nudgee 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa). Ironically, yesterday I saw many boys from that Ashgrove side finish the season undefeated AIC premiers.

The Adjudicator

Frank Nicholson (4)
It doesn't take long for 'bias refs' to come up again in these forums.
You would be very very hard pressed to find a ref that goes into a match with a one sided view. If you feel there is a problem mention the game rather then sweeping statements that a certain portion are bias.
And when it comes to the comments that throughout the years refs have given more 50/50 calls to teams that understood the game more, if its been happening for that long you'd think the coaches would make an effort to teach the leaguies the rules. Shouldn't be the refs fault if he has to deal with players who don't know the rules at 1st XV.

King Henry

Stan Wickham (3)
Yes, agree about the importation impacts at NC. Would love to see how Nudgee go without imports..actually, last year I did see it when they were beaten by Ashgrove's 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa) by 60 or 70 points. This Ashgrove team had lost every game in their CIC season but finished with a game against Nudgee 7As (Allan Ala'alatoa). Ironically, yesterday I saw many boys from that Ashgrove side finish the season undefeated AIC premiers.

Jesus, that 7A team must've turned around. I saw the 8A's play on Saturday as well they were bloody good.

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
It was a great game, both teams were very good. A very dedicated bunch of kids and coaches turned the team around.

pundit

Herbert Moran (7)
I'd like to know people's thoughts on how our AIC boys will go in the State Titles. Personally, I think there are at least 5 or 6 boys who will put their hand up for QLD selection.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I'd like to know people's thoughts on how our AIC boys will go in the State Titles. Personally, I think there are at least 5 or 6 boys who will put their hand up for QLD selection.

Disagree, I think it'll be closer to 2 or 3, most likely in the front row purely because every other forward is outsized by their GPS counterparts.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Disagree, I think it'll be closer to 2 or 3, most likely in the front row purely because every other forward is outsized by their GPS counterparts.

I agree, probably O''Toole and Adams are the strongest contenders, but GPS have enormous depth in the front row so both of them could easily miss out.

Creighton maybe, but I haven't seen enough of him to really gauge his ability, can't see any other backs making it.

It's quite possible that AIC gets no Qld reps this year, although political correctness will probably ensure a couple of spots in the Qld 2 squad even if they're not won on merit.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but my honest opinion is that whilst the AIC comp this year had plenty of good players there were no absolute stand-outs as there has been every other year, historically.

An unfortunate fact is that it's getting increasingly harder for 17 year olds to physically compete for Qld schools spots due to the deliberate, and understandable, efforts of the GPS schools to stack their First XV' s with boys turning 18. Taking Nudgee's team this year as an example, just off the top of my head you have guys like Gavin Luka, Reece Hewat (both Australian Schools reps last year), Calvin Pritchard (Qld 1) and Liam Moseley all18 this year, and I'd be staggered if there weren't others, whereas the top AIC teams this year had large numbers of U16's. It's not fair or unfair, it's just the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.