• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ballkid

Herbert Moran (7)
Padua is actually hosting St Laurence's at Banyo. It is Padua's 60th Year Anniversary so it will be a massive day and weekend for the college with the 1st XV game kicking off at 3:30. It is also the 'Back to Banyo' round where many Old Boys come out and support

Why do they have the 'Back to Banyo' as the first game?

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Padua supporters seem to have been pretty quiet on this forum, with little said about their premiership prospects for 2016, although they are clearly well in the race.

What's the general feel about Padua's 2016 team, and how it stacks up against last year's premiership outfit?

On the same note, I can't recall seeing anything about Eddies for this year - how are they shaping up for round 1 v Ashgrove?

Fencesitter11

Stan Wickham (3)
First round matchups?
IMHO....Round 1

Iona v St Pats
Think Pats will get up here. I know trial form can be patchy but it's hard to win next start if you have been thumped the week before. Expect a better showing from the black and white but not enough.
Eddies v Ashgrove
Ashgrove look the goods this year. Too big, too slick - should win easily.
Villa v St Peters
interesting matchup here given recent posts... Has Villa been foxing or is it a case of not having the players in the right positions/teams? Nothing much said about St Peters on this thread so I will toss a coin and stay with the away sides.
Padua v Lauries
One for the home team. Big day at Banyo this Saturday and with old boy support and a late kickoff, Padua should start the chase for back to back premierships with a comfortable win.

tahs

Bob McCowan (2)
Watching the villa rugby program grow over the last few years, this would definitely be the strongest playing group, second only to that of the 2010 premiership side. With the 16As finishing third last year and a number of returning 1st XV players, the group seemed to have a lot of potential to cause a large number of upsets throughout the season against the top four sides.

After watching the trial against lauries on the weekend, it is quite obvious that there is a significant issue with the coaching staff. It was a shock to see that a number of top performing first XV players from 2015 have been left to punch on in the second fifteen, their places being taken by younger students clearly out of their depth at the first XV level.

Word is, at the beginning of the 2015 season, the coaches attempted to implement Wayne Bennett's inspired "No Dickhead Policy" although they seem to fail to lead by example.

It will be interesting what villa will do next in regard to this lack of coaching competency, a new position up for grabs in 2017 perhaps? Your move villa.

i think its opinion is shared by many puzzled onlookers

Aicfooty90

Stan Wickham (3)
Another simply dominant display from Ashgrove today. Putting 50+ points on Eddies.

Work rate of Ashgrove forward pack (in particular the back row) is phenomenal.

Their structure in attack is perfect. Every player knows when to hold and pass

De Flavvis' decision making almost always perfect - surely a favourite for the AIC #10 jersey.

Another key mention to Tyson Cooper with a hat trick within the first 30 minutes. Lighting speed.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Pats 29 Iona 0
Pats look a reasonable team but won't trouble the like of ASH and Padua.
I don't know who the coach of the Pats team is, Teacher? Parent? or other?
But he is a disgrace to the school. The way he yelled insults to his players from the sideline was very poor. The embarrassment of the Pats parents could be felt. His coaching style leaves a lot to be desired particularity for a school boy team.

I thought Pats had one of the Rauluni Brothers coaching, and I know those boys would have told the coach today to pull his head in.

Iona will struggle to win a game this season, far of the pace

Matt Fisherman

Frank Row (1)
Padua beat St Laurence's 36-5
Padua still playing under par but slowly improving. Michael Wood getting sent to the bin once again for the third time in a row. It was all in the forwards, Lauries were too small and looked scared. Game was very sloppy with a lot of loose ball and penalties. The front 3 for Padua look very strong and hard to compete with. The 9 for Padua was much better then last week getting quicker to breakdown and did some nice box kicks. 10 still went himself too many times and still looks as if cannot kick although is good with support play. 13 put some big shots on and looks really good with ball in hand. Backs didn't do much. 10 for Lauries played well with 12 and 13 being very quiet.
Good players
Padua - 1,2,3,6,9,11,13
Lauries - 1, 7, 9, 10,

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Ashgrove First XV

1. Jayden Arndell
2. Aidan Fabris
3. Emosi Tuqiri (U16)
4. Joseph Gavin
5. Ethan McCall (Returning)
6. Allan Wratten (Returning)
7. Nicholas Jenkins (Returning)
8. Max Midgley
9. Jaz Day (Returning)
10. Isaac De Flavis (Returning)
11. Callum McCarthy
12. Charlie Renouf
13. Ben Loff (Returning)
14. Tyson Cooper
15. Ben Bucknell (U16)

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Ashgrove First XV

1. Jayden Arndell
2. Aidan Fabris
3. Emosi Tuqiri (U16)
4. Joseph Gavin
5. Ethan McCall (Returning)
6. Allan Wratten (Returning)
7. Nicholas Jenkins (Returning)
8. Max Midgley
9. Jaz Day (Returning)
10. Isaac De Flavis (Returning)
11. Callum McCarthy
12. Charlie Renouf
13. Ben Loff (Returning)
14. Tyson Cooper
15. Ben Bucknell (U16)

None will come close to knocking this team off, IMO the best team Ash have put on the park for many years

Mainsail

Frank Nicholson (4)
Noting earlier posts on Villanova:
1st XV Villa 5 : St.Peters 64

2nds beat SPLC, which may explain where the 1st XV players were, 16A SPLC won by a point, 15A SPLC won 5-10.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Thanks for line up, Wratten and Arndell ones to watch, Arndell is prop in backrows body played well above his weight. Wratten strong and physical, last year in the firsts shows that. I would say McCall Arndell and Wratten are the nucleus of their pack, Fabris is there too although a little off the pace today by his standards but is a player. Not a bad pack at all and with the back line they have, there will be a lot of teams on the end of scores like today. They have a prop coming back Rafter, big choice for Ash coaching staff, change a winning team or leave it alone. Either way they look the goods.

All good points, on last year's form Tom Rafter would be the best prop in AIC this year so any selection dilemma is a good one to have.

Any good form by Ashgrove though is academic if they can't produce the goods v Padua in 2 weeks - fortunately it's a home game for Ashgrove this year but it will be tough. Big crowd expected for this game, hopefully the Paduans turn up in numbers to provide a great spectacle.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Noting earlier posts on Villanova:
1st XV Villa 5 : St.Peters 64

SPLC backs ran rings round Villa.

Younger Villa groups also a concern as no 15B team and 15A pack had to go uncontested, I understand for lack of a front row. 2nds beat SPLC, which may explain where the 1st XV players were, 16A SPLC won by a point, 15A SPLC won 5-10.
View attachment 7730

let me guess SPLC PNG u/18 backline again

Rocky

Bob McCowan (2)
Pats 29 Iona 0
Pats look a reasonable team but won't trouble the like of ASH and Padua.
I don't know who the coach of the Pats team is, Teacher? Parent? or other?
But he is a disgrace to the school. The way he yelled insults to his players from the sideline was very poor. The embarrassment of the Pats parents could be felt. His coaching style leaves a lot to be desired particularity for a school boy team.

I thought Pats had one of the Rauluni Brothers coaching, and I know those boys would have told the coach today to pull his head in.

Iona will struggle to win a game this season, far of the pace
Best from St Pats were 6, 9, 8, 4 and 13. The St Pats props got the job done but not upto the standard of Ash or Padua. No 9 from St Pats played all over Iona 9.
Best on park for Iona is No 15.

Richie Hardox

Frank Row (1)
All good points, coaching staff make a decision if rafter comes back, hard to change a winning formula. If they do I would go for mobility and experience over size. Tuquri might struggle with Padua pace, be a great game and you need people at the breakdown. They had another prop went ok in the seconds, fitness might be down but he had a go

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
All good points, coaching staff make a decision if rafter comes back, hard to change a winning formula. If they do I would go for mobility and experience over size. Tuquri might struggle with Padua pace, be a great game and you need people at the breakdown. They had another prop went ok in the seconds, fitness might be down but he had a go

Fair enough, they might play Emosi in the 16A's and run him off the bench against Padua.

Pretty sure fresh reserves aren't allowed in First XV, but at about 120kg now Tuquiri will be a real weapon next year anyway - has some of Uncle Lote's skills about him.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Fair enough, they might play Emosi in the 16A's and run him off the bench against Padua.

Pretty sure fresh reserves aren't allowed in First XV, but at about 120kg now Tuquiri will be a real weapon next year anyway - has some of Uncle Lote's skills about him.

yeah not a bad idea, just not sure how well he would back up, not exactly a model built for endurance is he.
Has size, good hands and a good goal kicker but missed out on the running gene.

Status
Not open for further replies.