• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Square Bear

Frank Row (1)
Player size is not the be all & end all, I have had the pleasure of coaching many young men of all shapes and sizes, many of which are currently in the current 1st IV groups everyone is currently commenting on. I have seen young men half the size of an apponent absolute fold them in half on impact, if there skill set is on the money, size is irrelevant, I am not saying it does not count of course, it is still an important part of the mix. Pack weight v pack strength & good technique, the latter reigns supreme every single time.

Frank Nicholson (4)
Both teams played their guts out. Looking forward to seeing lads from both teams coming together to form a decent pack come AIC/GPS time.
I expect the AIC pack will be an MCA/Pad mix.

Stan Wickham (3)
Comparing the Pats Vs Padua game and the Marist Vs Padua game, the forwards from pats are much more dominant than the Ashgrove forwards. In my opinion the Pats forwards beat padua overall the whole game with the backs being the deciding factor for the win. would love to hear anyone else's thoughts about the pats team and how they stack up with the likes of Ashgrove.

Rocky

Bob McCowan (2)
The front row of Padua was better than that of MCA. Add Rafter to the MCA side and in all likelihood the scrum problems and size factor may not have been so prevalent. St Pats forwards v Ash fowards is a coin toss. Both are mobile packs. Padua played it within the forwards and had the majority of the pill for the MCA game. The MCA capt and No 10 was smashed and speared. He is clearly the best flyhalf in the comp. With no pill and a forward oriented game Padua ground out the win and good luck to them. On another day the result may have been different but it wasnt and all must move on. One must say that the No 6 for Padua played well and is not lacking confidence. It would be interesting to see his bravado against some of the forward packs floating around the GPS comp. Looking forward to him trying on some of his antics later in the Qld school trials - an AIC Rep and Padua premiership jersey will be his highest honours this year as he is just a B grade player at best when compared to his likely GPS counterparts.

pundit

Herbert Moran (7)
The Padua 6 you are referring to is Michael Wood. At times he needs to channel his fire and aggression a little better. In saying that, this is what makes him the player he is. He made QLD 1 as a 16 year old last year so has already held his own against his 'likely GPS counterparts'.

behindthescenes

Allen Oxlade (6)
The Padua 6 you are referring to is Michael Wood. At times he needs to channel his fire and aggression a little better. In saying that, this is what makes him the player he is. He made QLD 1 as a 16 year old last year so has already held his own against his 'likely GPS counterparts'.

Wood will be one of the first picked in QLD I this year rocky. I'm predicting he'll make Australian schoolboys too. 'B grade player...' You clearly have no idea.

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
Michael Woods was probably the difference in both of the victories by Padua over Ashgrove in the last two years. He is a quality player and barring injury will be in the Qld 1 side again this year. Yes he is a bit of a lair on the field but there is no doubting his importance to his side and keep in mind he is only 17. I doubt he has to prove himself much more.

Rocky

Bob McCowan (2)
Fair enough he has talent. As said he played well on the weekend but had no real resistence from MCA - and from all accounts St Pats were the same. I hope he succeeds and kerbs that agression as he is currently worth a few points to opposition teams through penalties - and from all accounts attracts a few yellows.

Seymour Butts

Bob McCowan (2)
Watching the Padua and Marist game first hand i noticed multiple things.
  1. How green the grass is on Marist playing fields
  2. How good it is hearing the names of players over the loud speaker
  3. How teams like Villa and Iona could beat these teams if they showed true heart and courage
Great game lads. Game of the year in AIC

FootyLover69

Frank Row (1)
As an Ash supporter I honestly feel like we didn't deserve to win. The Ref wasn't great but the loss can be accredited to the lack of pride from the Ashgrove boys. Padua came out with the desire to win and I take my hat off to them.
Villanova College and Iona College have the potential to cause the upset but from what I hear the coaching and leadership staff at Villanova College is nothing less than an absolute circus.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Player size is not the be all & end all, I have had the pleasure of coaching many young men of all shapes and sizes, many of which are currently in the current 1st IV groups everyone is currently commenting on. I have seen young men half the size of an apponent absolute fold them in half on impact, if there skill set is on the money, size is irrelevant, I am not saying it does not count of course, it is still an important part of the mix. Pack weight v pack strength & good technique, the latter reigns supreme every single time.

I agree with all of those points SB.

My thoughts about the size and strength of forwards at Ashgrove (which others are free to disagree with) are simply a reiteration of the old saying that, all other things being equal, a good big man will always beat a good small man. So, not much controversy there.

I agree that the Ash forwards put in a brave effort on Saturday, as always. However, in my view there's no doubt that the game was effectively won by the charges up the middle by the big Padua forwards (particularly by 1, 3 and 6), such that on the day sheer size (not heart or technique) probably won the contest. Only just, mind you...

Anyway, I walked away from McMahon on Saturday disappointed but at the same time proud of the effort of the MCA boys - they represented the College well and they're still a chance of grabbing a joint premiership.

FootyLover69

Frank Row (1)
I was watching the St Laurence's College verse St Peters on the weekend as it is 200 metres from my house. I have been a professional coach for some time now, and I have played professional rugby league during my younger days. During I believe the seconds match there was a boy on the Laurie’s team, I believed he played fullback. May I just I have never seen a boy play footy like this guy, he scored 2 tries off nothing plays, stepped the whole team, defended the whole team was always looking out for his mates. Now 2 years ago I personally coach Churchies all-star Kalyn ponga, and I’m telling you guys today this kid I saw on the field runs loops around Kalyn Ponga. The interesting part about it is he did not bench first nor did he even get a run in the first. Which is very interesting as he was the best player on both teams from both the first and the second’s teams. I later asked a boy what his name was and the boy replied Paul Mangelakis, and I just asked what he did turns out the boys in an elite league squad for the east tigers, and the Brisbane broncos and Melbourne storm, each year he gets offered contracts by league schools such as Keebra, and Palm Beach Currumbin. Now I believe this guy should be playing first at a higher level such as GPS or I believe he should be starting fullback for the AIC team. Now if you guys get the opportunity to watch the St Laurence’s seconds play go and watch this kid because he is the real deal!

As an avid onlooker of the Lauries Boys from what I hear about the weekend I would have to strongly disagree. St Laurence's open teams were nothing short of dreadful; the 2nd's team was appalling and from where I was standing a one man team being carried by one of the flankers, the rest of the team ran around like headless chooks with no heart of commitment to the Jersey which is sad to see in the AIC comp. As for the First XV they completely out sized their smaller Peters opponents and didnt have the drive or courage to win in extra time. All in all a poor year for Lauries and In my opinion it doesn't look like there is any talent coming through any timesoon.

John Dickens

Bob McCowan (2)
As an avid onlooker of the Lauries Boys from what I hear about the weekend I would have to strongly disagree. St Laurence's open teams were nothing short of dreadful; the 2nd's team was appalling and from where I was standing a one man team being carried by one of the flankers, the rest of the team ran around like headless chooks with no heart of commitment to the Jersey which is sad to see in the AIC comp. As for the First XV they completely out sized their smaller Peters opponents and didnt have the drive or courage to win in extra time. All in all a poor year for Lauries and In my opinion it doesn't look like there is any talent coming through any timesoon.

i strongly disagree with you mate even as a avid Eddies supporter, however I do understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I believe the cricket scores that the 16A, 2nd's and 14C sides put on their opposition over the weekend proved that their is talent coming through. Furthermore, since you are making your statement based off "what you heard" I believe that you do not have accurate sources of information so I can't hold your lesser intellectual opinion against you. For future reference please provide an annotated bibliography for your statements, this is a non-bias thread.

Return of the Jedi

Frank Row (1)
As an Ashgrovian I can offer :
-Well done Padua
-No complaints with ref
-Great spirit and effort from both sides,previous comments regarding Marist lack of heart are a little off-beam
- Perhaps Padua have better talent across age groups but will no doubt even up at First XV level
- Great day out, and will be the best game of AIC for the year

On a negative, I have word from a Villa parent that their woes deepen. The Villa forward pack was monstered and on rollerskates in the scrum. Apparently their seconds were again very competitive,not allowing Pats out of their half in the second stanza. Word is that once again the coaching staff refused to promote the couple of standout forwards from the seconds and some parents are getting extremely frustrated by the weekly hammering.

Jo Mama

Frank Row (1)
saying that Iona's number 8 is a cement pick for AIC 1 is ludacris. Justin Sikimeti from pats ran all over Iona's foward pack and is one of, if not the best 8 in the AIC comp

FootyLover69

Frank Row (1)
I'll have a crack at the premiership winners for the end of the AIC season.

1st XV - Padua - After a marginal win over Ashgrove can't side against the formidable Paduan foward pack and overall team chemistry.

2nd XV - Villanova - Captained by the Unknown Red head this team is crash hot and so far has been formidable in the 2nds competition.

3rd XV - Iona - Captained by the Spongebob looking kid this team has an outstanding number 12 who is unrivalled by any other in the 3rds Comp.

FootyLover69

Frank Row (1)
i strongly disagree with you mate even as a avid Eddies supporter, however I do understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I believe the cricket scores that the 16A, 2nd's and 14C sides put on their opposition over the weekend proved that their is talent coming through. Furthermore, since you are making your statement based off "what you heard" I believe that you do not have accurate sources of information so I can't hold your lesser intellectual opinion against you. For future reference please provide an annotated bibliography for your statements, this is a non-bias thread.

14c's? Thats hardly a breeding ground for upcoming 1st XV players? I'd also like to apologise that your feeble minded Lauries brain can't comprehend my post. Furthermore at no point in the sites terms and conditions does it state that this is a "non-bias thread" In fact this is a public forum which has been created in order for a variety of different Bias to be presented. As a final note the St Laurence uniform is Purple. :D

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
I'll have a crack at the premiership winners for the end of the AIC season.

1st XV - Padua - After a marginal win over Ashgrove can't side against the formidable Paduan foward pack and overall team chemistry.

2nd XV - Villanova - Captained by the Unknown Red head this team is crash hot and so far has been formidable in the 2nds competition.

3rd XV - Iona - Captained by the Spongebob looking kid this team has an outstanding number 12 who is unrivalled by any other in the 3rds Comp.

Considering Villa have already been pumped in the seconds and Iona lost the first two games in the thirds, you may be a little off the mark with these predictions. Love to be in a tipping comp with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.