• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Big overcommitment in numbers at the breakdown last week v Lauries

I doubt such numbers need to be applied against Padua who think the breakdown is something the RACQ should attend

Marist were pretty keen to get their forward runners moving last week too. And let’s face it - there wasn’t much resistance . Not a bad effort - but not tip top either - a few too many passing / handling errors for mine and some poor decision making in ball movement in places ( last 10m of First Half especially ) - which can happen when the bum slay is on

Marist may not get their moment of truth this season

Ali Barber

Allen Oxlade (6)
With the exception of LTW who will be out with his injury any major changes to the MCA run on from last week?
Marist and the other schools have a number of boys who play both codes well.
Remember LTWoods, Rozka and a couple of others have played a lot more Rugby and grew up playing rugby from U6 than their recent selections by RL recruits. I know this because my son played against them in Club & junior school rugby. They also play Rep rugby so really there’s no bias selections on saying they’re rugby union or rugby league. Padua have Harry Taylor, Danny Heenan and a couple of others as well. Heenan, like Rozka and LTWoods have played Rep in both codes in the last couple of years. St Pats have Maritz and a couple of others and Iona have Plath and others. Let’s face it, Club footy in u15 & U16 etc with split rounds and split seasons hadn’t offered much and this is why boys play both codes and they’re probably better footballers for it . They’re all pretty tough contenders. The Marist and Padua coaches are too smart not to utilise all their possible players. Why wouldn’t you ?

Ali Barber

Allen Oxlade (6)
MCA XV team for Padua
1. J Downs
2. R White
3. B. Roszka
4. B. Geragety c
5. J. Heinke
6. L. Howse
7. D. Perrers
8. B.Byrne
9. S.Stephens
10. Z. Hogan
11. A.Marles
12. J.Radford
13. C.Moller
14. K. Van Dugteren
15. S. McLeod
That’s a very solid team, I don’t know all the lads, but I can see only strengths and no gaps there.

Kick and Chase

Bob McCowan (2)
Big overcommitment in numbers at the breakdown last week v Lauries

I doubt such numbers need to be applied against Padua who think the breakdown is something the RACQ should attend

Marist were pretty keen to get their forward runners moving last week too. And let’s face it - there wasn’t much resistance . Not a bad effort - but not tip top either - a few too many passing / handling errors for mine and some poor decision making in ball movement in places ( last 10m of First Half especially ) - which can happen when the bum slay is on

Marist may not get their moment of truth this season

Kick and Chase

Bob McCowan (2)
Marist won’t get their moment of truth this season......Padua completely outplayed - Zach Hogan outplayed Hennan at 10 until Hogan came off injured - Hennan needs to move back to the centres where he can get one on one - his first two kicks were charged down and he was in
effective in attack

Ali Barber

Allen Oxlade (6)
Marist won’t get their moment of truth this season..Padua completely outplayed - Zach Hogan outplayed Hennan at 10 until Hogan came off injured - Hennan needs to move back to the centres where he can get one on one - his first two kicks were charged down and he was in
effective in attack
Great win to Marist. Yes Ashgrove 10 Zach Hogan played very well behind a forward pack going forward but I thought Padua 10 Heenan played very well behind a pack going backwards nearly all game and with 14 men for 70% of the game. I think you’re pushing a full barrow by saying there was a clear winner there. The clear winner was Marist and certainly not just one player. Great win Marist. It looks daylight from here.

Momentuman

Frank Row (1)
SPLC up 4 tries to 1 at halftime v SLC. SLC’s afternoon effectively over when their line out leader #5 went off and their lineout became ineffective also lost #8 for a dangerous tackle about halfway through the half.. SPLC #3 a big unit with some telling runs ...would like to see him a bit fitter also SPLC #15 very small but extremely illusive...caused SLC lots of headaches. SLC improved on last week and tried hard - but probably need a couple of big boppers in their forward pack.

Kick and Chase

Bob McCowan (2)
Great win to Marist. Yes Ashgrove 10 Hogan played well behind a forward pack going forward but boy I actually thought Padua 10 Heenan played brilliantly behind a pack going backwards nearly all game and with 14 men for 70% of the game. I think you’re pushing a barrow by saying there was a clear winner there. The clear winner was Marist and certainly not the player you’re pushing. Great win Marist. It looks daylight from here.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
The first 20 min of the first half Padua attacked MCA line but the MCA defence held rock solid. Padua No 8 sent off for a cheap shot, but he was out of it with a head knock at that stage - 'walking like a new born calf'. He got knocked out bad last year by a big hit from the St Pats No 8 Connors and from today he still looks punch drunk.
Iona will pose a big threat to MCA next week with abt 4 MCA players coming off injured, some serious.

Kick and Chase

Bob McCowan (2)
The first 20 min of the first half Padua attacked MCA line but the MCA defence held rock solid. Padua No 8 sent off for a cheap shot, but he was out of it with a head knock at that stage - 'walking like a new born calf'. He got knocked out bad last year by a big hit from the St Pats No 8 Connors and from today he still looks punch drunk.
Iona will pose a big threat to MCA next week with abt 4 MCA players coming off injured, some serious.
Marist has no serious injuries - Hogan came off with a stinger and the decision was made not to put him back on - he will be good for next week - Downes is fine - rest are just bumps and bruises you would expect from a tough physical contest

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Good to hear regading MCA injuries, though I heard someone mention doubt over the No 10.
No 8 for Padua should really consider sitting out a week or 2 to clear his head.
Will LTW be available later in the season for MCA? Hats off to the MCA No 10 replacement. Slight kid who played above his weight and directed traffic well. MCA No 7 best onfield today.
Villa v SPC??

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
The overall level of fitness from Padua was poor. Their forwards are nowhere near fit enough and this pretty much told the story of the game. They butchered all the early field advantage simply because they couldnt re-line quick enough and protect their own ball more than 3 x phases. A lot of willing “oomph” in a lot of early one out stuff - but outside some physicality in a few carries - the MCA forwards werent really seriously challenged.

Padua Rugby intel is low too . With all the penalty advantage why keep opting for the lineout when you were getting towelled ( great game by Jacob Heinke btw - assuming he was the MCA 5 jumping at the 2 spot)

Downes also eye catching as were Hogan ( 10 ) and McLeod ( 15 ) as MCA’s best

Got to agree with Kick and Chase - Hogan looked sharper than Heenan - passing mechanics , acceleration - overall movement. DH had a couple of nice tactical kicks in behind the defense in the first 15m , but outside of that I think Hogan looked more complete on the day - which didn’t really have much to go with the disparity in fitness and how well drilled the MCA forwards were

Didn’t really pick up Rozka much ( ?? )

Status
Not open for further replies.