• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2019

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
ballymore.jpg

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Sydney School Barker College was to play St Patrick's last week - Does anyone know the score. I heard a cricket score but can't verify.
I believe Barker play MCA this week which seems a bit odd considering how close to Easter it is and who will be available in the middle of holidays.

MCA lost 17-19 on the bell.

Rugby nut

Frank Row (1)
Sydney School Barker College was to play St Patrick's last week - Does anyone know the score. I heard a cricket score but can't verify.
I believe Barker play MCA this week which seems a bit odd considering how close to Easter it is and who will be available in the middle of holidays.
It was a cricket score alright 85-5 to Barker. Today’s game verses MCA was a lot tighter. The two sides were evenly matched. Barker ended up running away with it in the final quarter 36-17 but the score line didn’t reflect the game. Both Barker and MCA will be hard to beat in their respective competitions.

Will Burgess

Frank Row (1)
It was a cricket score alright 85-5 to Barker. Today’s game verses MCA was a lot tighter. The two sides were evenly matched. Barker ended up running away with it in the final quarter 36-17 but the score line didn’t reflect the game. Both Barker and MCA will be hard to beat in their respective competitions.
I believe the score was 59-5 was it not at the Barker v SPC game?

MCA should see another successful season with a top 3 finish

Any update on the other schools? Anything on IONA, SLC, Padua & Villanova in particular?

Serge Blanco

Allen Oxlade (6)
About 9 or 10 boys from this squad are the year eleven. It is most like the starting team would have 6. Iona also a young squad with about the same number of boys in year eleven.
About 9 or 10 boys from this squad are the year eleven. It is most like the starting team would have 6. Iona also a young squad with about the same number of boys in year eleven.
I understand a similar situation at Villa with 5-6 of the starting side in year 11 with 9 or 10 year 11s in the squad

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
For those of you who are interested there is a new series of The Season that started last week on Fox Sports

This latest series features last year’s Wellington Schools Champion , St Pats Silverstream - who ended up getting done by Napier Boys High in the Semi Finals of the Hurricanes Draw

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)

I can understand why SLC might field 6 Year 11 boys in their First XV, but would be surprised to see Iona do the same given that historically they haven’t been too competitive in that year/age group.

A few others here would know better than me, but at this stage I think MCA will probably have 4 x Year 11’s and a Year 10 boy in their First XV, so not much different really.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
By being "Grade 11" I assume y'all mean 16 year olds as opposed to 17 or 18 year olds ?

Plenty of boys in Grade 11 around the traps that are 17 and are of true Opens Age

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
By being "Grade 11" I assume y'all mean 16 year olds as opposed to 17 or 18 year olds ?

Plenty of boys in Grade 11 around the traps that are 17 and are of true Opens Age

I think the obvious significance is that, presumably, any Year 11 boys in First XV's this year will be backing up again next year.

Although the age of the Year 11's is not irrelevant, you'd rather them be turning 18 next year than 17.

To the extent it matters, I now think MCA will have 5 x Year 11's and 1 x Year 10 in the starting XV this year, with 4 of these boys turning 16 this year.

On what I know there will probably be only one boy turning 18 this year in the MCA First XV this year, so fairly young side for the first year in which a significant % of Year 12's will graduate as 18 yo's.

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
Jets, I can assure you that SPLC's unpopularity is not just attributable to the fact that they only choose to be competitive when it suits them, e.g. swimming and tennis, and even then they have to bring in the team from elsewhere.

There also seems to be a misplaced arrogance among a lot of the SPLC sports staff as well (not all), which contrasts with the pretty friendly relations between the teachers/coaches from the other AIC schools.

I have little doubt that MCA would happily wave goodbye to SPLC and never give them a second thought, and it wouldn't surprise me if things are already heading in that direction

They also got disqualified last year in 1st XI soccer for intentionally fielding a player that was too old - literally screwed up the entire comp because some schools beat them whilst others lost but then all matches were called draws

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
AIC won't be expanding anytime soon.

Ambrose Treacy applied to join them (after an extensive request for information stage) and were denied. No surprises for guessing which three schools voted against. The two closest Edmund Rice schools (Eddies and Lawries) and the closest geographically (St Peters).

A real shame for ATC at least. Will have to be a bit creative in finding / building a competition to play in.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
AIC won't be expanding anytime soon.

Ambrose Treacy applied to join them (after an extensive request for information stage) and were denied. No surprises for guessing which three schools voted against. The two closest Edmund Rice schools (Eddies and Lawries) and the closest geographically (St Peters).

A real shame for the ATC at least. Will have to be a bit creative in finding / building a competition to play in.

That is just very silly Reg AT are a natural fit for the comp both culturally and school wise. SLC don't really get students from that area. I cannot speak for Eddie's but I would assume there cohort comes from further out.
ST Peters I understand as AT is a direct competitor and SPLC might find relevance difficult going forward given what they charge as school fees.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
That is just very silly Reg AT are a natural fit for the comp both culturally and school wise. SLC don't really get students from that area. I cannot speak for Eddie's but I would assume there cohort comes from further out.
ST Peters I understand as AT is a direct competitor and SPLC might find relevance difficult going forward given what they charge as school fees.

If true, that's a ridiculous, narrow-minded decision.

It's not like ATC hasn't been around for a quite a few years now, and I would have thought that ATC's admission to the AIC is not, on its own, likely to affect the enrolment plans of too many parents looking at Eddies or SLC (if any).

Same with SPLC really, leaving aside the Lutheran v Catholic issue, it seems to betray a lack of confidence in their own product.

Ironically, I was told a few years ago by good sources that the introduction of ATC initially caused MCA to lose quite a large number of boys who lived over that way, and there's almost certainly some ongoing impact there, but these things level out and I'm pleased to see that MCA appears to have voted in favour of ATC's admission.

I mean, it's not like the AIC doesn't need another good sporting school to make the competition more competitive. Eddies are dragging the chain in most sports so in many ways ATC would be a massive upgrade on them, and we've covered the same ground recently with SPLC.

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
which schools are playing their Rd 2 match this weekend to supplement for the state champs?
Apparently SPC is playing SLC??

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
What a balls up this weekend is and what a great example of what happens when selfish school agendas get in the way of other plans.

As a result, we have the farcical scenario of SPC playing a standalone First XV round 1 competition game on Saturday against SLC whilst the rest of Lauries play trial games at home v Padua. But Padua Firsts play Villa Firsts at Villa at 10am.
Iona and Ashgrove play each other at Iona except for the respective First XVs that don't have a game.
St Peters are now rumoured to be scheduled to play their round 1 competition game v Ashgrove on Tuesday afternoon at Indooroopilly. Who knows what other crazy schedules there are?!!

Farcical because this could have all been avoided if the AIC schools and QSS actually got their shit together and coordinated the QLD schoolboys trials to be a standalone weekend where all the AIC boys could have participated whilst maintaining the tradition of the AIC comp. A complete lack of respect shown on both sides. Meanwhile the subsequent childish finger pointing about whose fault it is doesn't help anyone and hurts rugby. Makes it look like the various parties either don't talk to each other or don't give a shit about each other.

This is up there with the AIC decision makers calling off a whole round a few years ago because of rain!

Wake up AIC. Rugby is dying and you diminish the boys season by throwing away their opportunities. Not yours!

The GPS schools mainly boycotted the trials giving those running the QLD Reds Academy a massive belly laugh.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
This trial at Sunnybank has been part of the selection process for Qld Schoolboys for quite some time . It previously has been the selection trials for the Combined Secondary Schools team that then went on to trial against AIC and GPS rep teams for Qld Schoolboys.

This year , for whatever reason might get put forward , the QSS decided to make it the ONLY selection process for Qld Schoolboys. If you don’t show up to your regional trials and then make your way to Sunnybank, you don’t get to play Qld Schoolboys and further down the line Aussie Schoolboys.

I know schools in the AIC and GPS plan their years ahead from a fair way out. The AIC draw was up well before the changes to Schoolboy selections were known. GPS schools as a generalisation don’t like being told what to do, if it disadvantages their position, it won’t happen. GPS schools have only just got out of their S&C programs .

Point fingers , but communication very poor !