• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks vs Springbokke : Auckland

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
All Blacks vs Springbokke

Tri Nations time at last. Cant get them bigger then going to NZ and having two changes against the old foe wearing Black. Not only the biggest challenge for this Bokke group but takling the WC into consideration coming up next year plus having beaten them 3 zip last year and it all add up to one hellofa rugby war.

On the one hand you have Black, not known for getting knock down and out for revenge but in the green corner you have a boxer good shape having no sweat in current times by knocking over the opponent no matter where the fight is.

The two squads:
All Black Tri Nations squad

Forwards: John Afoa (Auckland Blues), Anthony Boric (Blues), Tom Donnelly (Otago Highlanders), Corey Flynn (Canterbury Crusaders), Ben Franks (Crusaders),Owen Franks (Crusaders), Jerome Kaino (Blues), Richie McCaw (captain, Crusaders), Keven Mealamu (Blues), Liam Messam (Waikato Chiefs), Kieran Read (Crusaders), Brad Thorn (Crusaders) Victor Vito (Wellington Hurricanes), Samuel Whitelock (Crusaders), Tony Woodcock (Blues).

Backs: Daniel Carter (Crusaders), Jimmy Cowan (Highlanders), Aaron Cruden (Hurricanes), Israel Dagg (Highlanders), Cory Jane (Hurricanes), Richard Kahui (Chiefs), Mils Muliaina (Chiefs), Ma'a Nonu (Hurricanes), Rene Ranger (Blues), Josevata Rokocoko (Blues), Conrad Smith (Hurricanes), Benson Stanley (Blues), Piri Weepu (Hurricanes).

No Thomson, Guildford , Tialata, or Rodney , players injured flyhalves Mike Delany and Stephen Donald, locks Ali Williams and Jason Eaton, hooker Andrew Hore, wing Sitiveni Sivivatu and utility back Isaia Toeava.

Springbok TriNation Squad

Backs: Gio Aplon (Vodacom Stormers), Juan de Jongh (Vodacom Stormers), Jean de Villiers (Vodacom Western Province), Jaque Fourie (Vodacom Stormers), Bryan Habana (Vodacom Stormers), Francois Hougaard (Vodacom Bulls), Butch James (Bath), Ricky Januarie (Vodacom Stormers), Zane Kirchner (Vodacom Bulls), Wynand Oliver (Vodacom Bulls), Ruan Pienaar (Sharks), Morné Steyn (Vodacom Bulls).

Forwards: Andries Bekker (Vodacom Stormers), Bakkies Botha (Vodacom Bulls), BJ Botha (Ulster), Schalk Burger (Vodacom Stormers), Jannie du Plessis (Sharks), Ryan Kankowski (Sharks), Francois Louw (Vodacom Stormers), Victor Matfield (Vodacom Bulls), Tendai Mtawarira (Sharks), Dewald Potgieter (Vodacom Bulls), Chiliboy Ralepelle (Vodacom Bulls), Danie Rossouw (Vodacom Bulls), John Smit (Sharks, captain), Pierre Spies (Vodacom Bulls), Gurthrö Steenkamp (Vodacom Bulls), CJ van der Linde (Vodacom Cheetahs).

Not really that big surprises and it will be interesting to see the match 22. Bokke will have a weeks rest before departing saturday on their journey Down Under.

Probable Bok match 22
Probable match 22
Kirschner, Aplon, J Fourie, Olivier/JdJ, Habana, M Steyn, Januarie, Spies, F Louw, Schalkie, Matfield , Bakkies, BJ, Smit, Guthro

Bench: F Hougaard, R Pienaar, J de Villiers, Chilliboy, CJ, D Rossouw, Kankowski

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
ABs piggies look pretty solid. Their backs are a mixture of up-and-comers and has-beens.

That's a very impressive XV you are going to put on the park, Paarl.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I keep talking to myself here, but checked out some profiles and Brad Thorn is 35 years old! If he was Australian he'd be in the stands watching his son play for the Wallabies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
That's a very impressive XV you are going to put on the park, Paarl.
Wont differ much from the one that blasted France. Myself a bit worried about Januarie and not sure if Snor will pick JdJ or Olivier in 12. Also maybe Jannie Doep in BJ's place but I like BJ in TH. In fact if you look at our squad the scrums is the area you might see a huge improvement from last year. The best thing Snor could have done was the adding of Os du Randt as our scrum doctor. Myself could see his involvement immediately against the two teams we seem to struggle the most in the 2009 season. We should dominate the lineouts, havent saw any improvement from the NZ in the S14 matches in this department all year and with the Burger?louw combination with Spies I am also feeling confident breakdowns and ruck time. Burger/Louw have been impressive all year in the S14 and Louw in the form of his life in the June tests. At the moment my first flanker pick.

If I look at the Bok sqaud you can rotate most positions with ease. John Smit and Morne Steyn probable the only ones you wont want to rotate but other then that:
Kirshner/Aplon, Hougaard/Aplon, Fourie with Jean/de Jongh/Olivier, de Jongh with Olivier/Jean, Januarie with Pienaar/Hougaard, Spies with Kankowski/Potgieter, Burger with Louw/Potgieter/Rossouw, Louw with Burger, Matfield with Bekker, Bakkies with Rossouw, BJ with Jannie/CJ and Guthro with Beast/CJ

Lots of options.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Soweto gets it rugby test confirm by the Cartell
All Blacks, Boks to meet in Soweto

All Blacks coach Graham Henry inadvertently revealed on Friday that New Zealand and South Africa will play their Tri-Nations rugby match next month at the Soccer City stadium in Soweto.

South African officials have yet to announce their decision to move the August 21 match from Ellis Park in Johannesburg to the 95,000-seat Soweto venue used for the football World Cup.

He confirmed the venue for the match in answer to a question then recognised his error and sought advice from the All Blacks' media manager.

"I've just said it, haven't I? It's been speculated ... no, I'm not allowed to say that. No, it's only speculated we're playing in a stadium that holds 97,000. Gee, that would be great, wouldn't it? I can't wait."

A rugby Test in Soweto is a symbolic event in post-apartheid South Africa. A decade ago it would have been unthinkable for an international to move from the bastion of white sport in Johannesburg to the one-time home of former president Nelson Mandela on the impoverished outskirts of the city.

The move follows the successful hosting of the Bulls Super 14 semifinal and final in Soweto's smaller Orlando Stadium in May - a change forced by the unavailability of Pretoria's Loftus Versfeld due to soccer World Cup commitments.

Meaning 30,000 more vuvuzela blowing SA supporters compare to Ellispark.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Absolutely amazing news about Soccer City. First the Super Final in Soweto and now a big test. I wasn't goign to fly out to SA for the poo.. oops soccer but jeez this is tempting.

Anyway I am worried about the 3N from an SA perspective. Simply put I think we are very weak at 9 and 15. Although Januarie has done reasonably well at times with the odd stroke of brilliance, his game is limited and he is prone to really big errors. PdV will not back off on Januarie.

At 15 Kirchner is a very solid Super Rugby 15. He was almost mistake free through the entire tournament. Problem is he offers almost nothing at test level. People bag Frans Steyen but he can do everything Kirchner does plus kick three penalties from 60 metres. I'll take Frans any day. He fits into the way the Boks play like hand in glove.

I don't think we will win the 3N, and that is mainly due to us starting on the road.

H

Hartman

Absolutely amazing news about Soccer City. First the Super Final in Soweto and now a big test. I wasn't goign to fly out to SA for the poo.. oops soccer but jeez this is tempting.

Anyway I am worried about the 3N from an SA perspective. Simply put I think we are very weak at 9 and 15. Although Januarie has done reasonably well at times with the odd stroke of brilliance, his game is limited and he is prone to really big errors. PdV will not back off on Januarie.

At 15 Kirchner is a very solid Super Rugby 15. He was almost mistake free through the entire tournament. Problem is he offers almost nothing at test level. People bag Frans Steyen but he can do everything Kirchner does plus kick three penalties from 60 metres. I'll take Frans any day. He fits into the way the Boks play like hand in glove.

I don't think we will win the 3N, and that is mainly due to us starting on the road.

Completely agree with you on everything there. PdV needs to swallow his pride and just pick Frans Steyn. Having Januarie there is, to put it simply, ridiculous - Pienaar or even Duvenage make a lot more sense to me at 9, and even Sarel Pretorius is far more talented than Januarie if we want to gamble on a player who can be brilliant or bad. But that's the quota system for you...

I agree, I can feel the 3N being a big flop for us this year unfortunately. It feels like we are just missing little pieces of last year's success that will make a massive difference in the end.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Completely agree with you on everything there. PdV needs to swallow his pride and just pick Frans Steyn.
Welcome Boet, good to see another SA Supporter.

Regarding your questions
http://www.sarugby.net/newsarticle....atid=&piccat=&statscatid=&statsteam=&newscat=

You can ask your questions directly.

SARugby.net
Pie Eater Januarie
Question:How is it possible for Ricky January & Chilliboy Ralapella to be playing for the Springboks if they are not even starting for their Provinces in Super 14 rugby? Justin le Roux

Peter replies: I do not pick the Vodacom Super 14 sides but I certainly believe that these two players have something to offer us and they have shown it in the Test matches to date. Ricky was the man of the match against Wales and Chiliboy is clearly reaping the benefits of his decision to play Vodacom Cup rugby this season as part of his extended injury recovery and conditioning programme. Well done to the Vodacom Blue Bulls on their role in this. There were other questions about Ricky from James Pitout, Peter L’Estrange and Sarah Boomgard which I cannot reply to individually, except to say that I know what I have in Ricky and I know what he is capable of. With Fourie du Preez not available you need the experience of a player who has “been there before” in a Vodacom Tri-Nations campaign.

Frans Steyn

Question:please let us know when you will (put) the petty personal issues aside and select the best fullback talent we have had in years. Frans (Steyn) is the most talented player since Naas Botha, but you let your personal feelings get in the way of us winning the 3N and the WC. You are supposedly to be objective, clearly not. Dawid Louw

Peter replies: Dawid, I am glad you asked that question. Thanks to Steven Hapelt, Gerrit Conradie, Mandy Kotze, Simon Clements and Jacques Harmse too for asking about Frans. There are no problems between Frans and I and I certainly do not have “petty” issues with him. I will never deny any player the opportunity of playing for his country. The truth is that Frans was only available for the Wales Test. Further discussion is needed with his club and agent about future availability and this is being dealt with presently. You have fallen for the perception created in the media that there may be issues between myself and the player which is untrue.

Personally I dont have a problem not picking Frans Steyn. Dont like the NH players in the Bok team.

H

Hartman

Welcome Boet, good to see another SA Supporter.

Personally I dont have a problem not picking Frans Steyn. Dont like the NH players in the Bok team.

Baie dankie oom, good to be on board. Are you living in Paarl now or just from there? I'm Cape Town born, moved to Sydney when I was 9.

With Januarie and Rallepelle, PdV obviously can't say "he is there to fill the quota". It is obvious beyond any doubt that the likes of Adriaan Strauss, Gary Botha and Tiaan Liebenberg would all be far better choices at Hooker than Rallepelle. Januarie in my mind holds slightly more merit than Rallepelle, but at the same time, at this level a Hooker is not as likely to be a liability as a scrumhalf, and Januarie is known above anything else for the elementary mistakes he has made at test level.

With Frans Steyn, PdV has in the past said that he felt Frans was not performing at his best because of playing lower-level rugby overseas. So this change of pace is a bit sudden...

I've noticed that when our players go to play for overseas clubs their play tends to slow down somewhat, and is also the case with Steyn,

I'm worried about him. When he left here he was the best in the world. I don't think that is the case now. We've had a long chat about it.

I wouldn't mind Steyn being out if there were a suitable replacement, but Kirchner has shown time and time again that he is not ready for test rugby, and will be a liability.

Anyway, hopefully they sort Steyn's "contract issues" out soon.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Baie dankie oom, good to be on board. Are you living in Paarl now or just from there? I'm Cape Town born, moved to Sydney when I was 9.

With Januarie and Rallepelle, PdV obviously can't say "he is there to fill the quota". It is obvious beyond any doubt that the likes of Adriaan Strauss, Gary Botha and Tiaan Liebenberg would all be far better choices at Hooker than Rallepelle. Januarie in my mind holds slightly more merit than Rallepelle, but at the same time, at this level a Hooker is not as likely to be a liability as a scrumhalf, and Januarie is known above anything else for the elementary mistakes he has made at test level.

With Frans Steyn, PdV has in the past said that he felt Frans was not performing at his best because of playing lower-level rugby overseas. So this change of pace is a bit sudden...

Anyway, hopefully they sort Steyn's "contract issues" out soon.
I am living in Paarl Boet, just watch this place , I'll fill you in on all our local rugby.

I know its a bit difficult to understand, myself a old timer but its no secret that the politicians keep on pushing hard and no easy job to please our lot on the one side knowing theres only one way to pick sport teams then merit and this duff lot keep on pushing the BEE qouta lot. Personally I think he sure do well with them and not that much pressure compare to Whites tenure.

Ja Pie Eater a problem, lets just cross fingers and hope our pack will dominate enough to make up for Pie Eaters mistakes. Pie Eater do surprise and probably at times surprise me no ends. Its a vokken lottery at best.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
All Black team named for the first Tri-Nations match on Saturday. Nonu back - the rest looks pretty much as suspected.

ALL BLACKS:

Mils Muliaina, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Joe Rokocoko, Dan Carter, Jimmy Cowan, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (capt.), Jerome Kaino, Tom Donnelly, Brad Thorn, Owen Franks, Keven Mealamu, Tony Woodcock.

RESERVES:

Corey Flynn, Ben Franks, Samuel Whitelock, Liam Messam, Piri Weepu, Aaron Cruden, Richard Kahui.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
No surprises there although I hope they bring Cruden on reall quick. Right.

Bok Team announcement delayed until Thursday due to knee injuries to Botha and Rossouw.

Personally I think it's just PdV tossing about.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Mils havent played since long ago. Look like the Cartell have decided on experiense for this one and we surely can expect the same stuff from last year, boms like WW2.

If we klap them it may mean the end of a lot of this players but you never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.