• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks vs Springbokke : Auckland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Locks: two of the best of all time plus the best up-n-comer in the world.

Those two teams on paper are not even close. The ABs look a bit thrown together. Normally I would give the ABs an extra 12 points at home, but the Saffers seem to have broken that hoodoo.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Locks: two of the best of all time plus the best up-n-comer in the world.

Those two teams on paper are not even close. The ABs look a bit thrown together. Normally I would give the ABs an extra 12 points at home, but the Saffers seem to have broken that hoodoo.

I disagree about the ABs being thrown together,

The ABs pigs will be athletic and mobile and the loss of FDP will be critical to the Boks.

I also think Franks is an excellent THP (a shame he never took up the offer to play for aus), the rest of front row is good as well.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well, so far Bakkies has head butted someone, and been binned for prof foul inside 15 mins - looks like he'll be part time again this year!!

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Looks like our best chance this 3N is if both sides pick up key injuries in the first 2 matches. I doubt it'll happen. We'd have at least one injury by now.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
The ABs are hitting the Bokke defensive line hard and at pace, and it is telling. The Bokke are starting flatter and slower and just not getting as much go forward. I hope Deans et al are watching closely. Of course, it helps when you have forwards who want to hit hard...
We are screwed...big time.

C

chief

Bakkies will be cited for sure.

I'm confused completely with South Africa's tactics. They rely on Morne Steyn's points. Yet the AB's have been fairly disciplined in his kicking zone. John Smit is not a very good captain IMO. They need 7 pointers and not 3 pointers. It is a bit disappointing to see such elementary captaincy in such a high level. Springboks lineout has been terrible. John Smit's throwing again has been hideous to say the least. Scrums have had too many resets, surprised not many penalties have occurred, had Romain Poite been handed the whistle there would have been numerous penalties each way.

All Blacks use their ball while SA just decline to do so despite I think SA have had much more possession. Jimmy Cowan has been dreadful. Poor service.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Really surprised by the ABs intensity. The Boks were slightly off, look a bit defeated at times when they should have been rallying. Maybe Matfield for skipper?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
While I thought the ABs played very well, I dont think either team is unbeatable. The Boks just didnt show up physically- where was the backrow? I would like to see the ruck turnover stats, because I can only remember 1 Bok turnover. JdV was exposed to be a woeful selection, he was caught out of position at least 3 times in the first half, and only had the ball three or four times in the whole game. They just lacked their usual spark, apart from one good period in the first 15 minutes. Badly missing DuPreez thats for sure.

And while the ABs were good they weren't scintillating. They always play best at Eden Park, and their forwards really showed up-all 8 deserve a mention. But they stagnated a bit in the second half, and a better team would have made it a much closer game. Time will tell on this, but I am certainly not in the 'we're totally fucked' camp after that game.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Well played by the All Blacks. The problem for SA is they lack a plan B and completely lose shape when they are not dictating the terms of the match. It was also obvious last year when we beat them in Brisbane. What suprised me was the quality of the All Black line out.

I was suprised how people doubted the aggresion af the AB.

T

tranquility

Even though JdV started his career on the wing it just isn't his position, when he is in form he is arguably the best 12 in the game. The Bokke center pair just has to be 12. JdV 13. Fourie - it is just so damaging.

Bokke missed FdP badly, and the All Blacks pack were rampant.

R

Richard D. James

The Bakkies headbutt!

now in GIF form :D

bothaw329.gif

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
The funny thing is Olivier, whilst serviceable, has never gotten close to matching JdV's peak form.

As such a big fan of sticking with "mechanics" you would think PdV would of stuck with him. I mean, a year in Irish rugby surely wouldn't have negatively impacted his game that much. Not to mention Aplon has been a revelation and could easily fill the left over wing jersey.

Still, props to the man for taking a gamble, it certainly wasn't a MAJOR reason why they lost the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.