• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks vs Springbokke : Auckland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I have been a big fan of Reid for some time now. I like the no thrills just get stuck in aspect of his game. I hope Robbie can dig out the recipie for Reid and apply it to Higgers.

There's no recipe. It's talent.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Problem is Spies does great things in many games. He looks great in the Super 14 and runs over people in warm up tests. Then he disappears half the time against tougher opposition.

He seems to have an "On" button that only sometimes fires. I think it has to do with him being a converted back. When he's on he's on. He was huge in the first Lions test, and even bigger in the Dunedin test last year.

He was making hits and even clearing out rucks. But you get the idea it doesn't come naturally.

For tough, physical battles we need someone like Duane Vermeulen who was the form SA 8 in the S14. Has skills but relished the tough stuff.

Having said that I won't write Spies off yet....he's better than that.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
In a team where nobody played that well I thought Spies was one of their best. He actually made more runs and more metres than anyone else in the Bok team (10), was involved in more rucks & mauls than anyone in BOTH teams (11 - apart from Kaino, also 11), didn't make as many tackles as the other loose forwards except for Kaino (10), missed fewer tackles than Burger and won more lineout ball than anyone in BOTH teams except for Read. Sure, he didn't look as good as Read because they were being dominated by the Black pack but I think some of you are getting a bit carried away. Those figures don't indicate someone bludging.....

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thanks Lance, I'll never write off Spies, he have a lot of rugby in him and just as much talent. Like you qouted the Bokke played so kak last week, they have to start with their basics all over again. Get the 1 phase like scrumming and line outs sorted before you can blame anyone else. We'll need 60% fattie dominace to start off against the All Blacks. The xtra 10% is due to make up for all the kak of Pie Eater behind the pack. Then you can start worry about 10,11,12,13,14 and 15.

I dont blame Snor to keep the same players, at least he show some trust in them and maybe they'll repay his faith. If they dont produce, make the changes against the Wallabies, we need fresh legs for the third one anyway.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
I didn't think 'the Pie Eater' played that badly either. Sure, he's no Fourie du Preez but who is? I thought his service was OK (heaps better than Burgess for instance - didn't see too many around the bootlaces or over heads) and he poses a bit of a danger around the ruck with his sniping. He missed a few tackles but made 7 more tham Cowan, who made 1 tackle in the whole game (I guess that reflects the play to some extent). He ran the ball 5 times (Cowan 3) and kicked 4 times. He's there because he's a quota player but I think he went alright and it's not his fault that his forwards were given a touch up.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
OK not 95,000 only phase one
Lions site
Phase One tickets sales of Springbok Test in Soweto sold out

The Golden Lions Rugby Union announced on Wednesday that all currently available tickets had been sold out for the Vodacom Tri-Nations Test between South Arica and New Zealand at National Stadium (formerly Soccer City) on August 21.

A phase one allocation of more than 44 000 tickets sold out in the first 48 hours of sales. A second phase of ticket sales is expected in due course from allocations returned by stakeholders.

A further 5 000 tickets priced at R100 each will go on sale at Computicket outlets in Soweto on July 26.

The Lions reported that:

· 44,237 tickets made available through Computicket sold out in 48 hours.

· 5 000 tickets will go on sale at Computicket outlets in Soweto on July 26

· 38 763 tickets are contractually offered to season and suite ticket holders, GLRU and Coca-Cola Park stakeholders, SARU, other provincial unions and for hospitality

· The Lions expect a second phase of ticket sales from returned allocations in due course
No change there will be left anyway.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Beware the cornered Bokke! My Saffer mates tell me that they have been absolutely caned in the press back in Safferland.

Sooner or later they will make some opponent pay for the humiliation of Eden Park.

There are too many quality players in their squad for the Eden park scorelines to be repeated too often.

Whatever you may think about the abilities of Coach, and Captain, the Saffer brand in all its glory will not tolerate too many Eden Park repeat performances.

This could be the loss they needed, just in time to reorganise for RWC 11.

The flogging could be the best preparation ever for the Saffer RWC 2011 tilt. They should now know that they need to do a little more than just turn up next year.

Or are the Saffers playing mind games with team AB?

History has repeatedly demonstrated that AB's are RWC chokers, particularly when they are installed as pre-tournament favourites.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
This could be the loss they needed, just in time to reorganise for RWC 11.
Probably the only positive to take from this loss. Hope the players will take that bitter taste of Eden Park with them going forward. Losing always give you much much more lessons then winning.

Look like Pakslae maybe out and Flippie will go straight into the next one. Wont mind the Bekker / Matfield combo. Bekker isnt just anymore just a aerial lock like a year ago, he sure worked on his grunt and he is pretty effective on defense these days plus he can carry/handle a ball like a back.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
All Blacks: Mils Muliaina, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith, Ma’a Nonu, Rene Ranger, Dan Carter, Piri Weepu, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (capt.), Jerome Kaino, Tom Donnelly, Brad Thorn, Owen Franks, Keven Mealamu, Tony Woodcock Reserves: Corey Flynn, Ben Franks, Samuel Whitelock, Liam Messam, Jimmy Cowan, Aaron Cruden, Israel Dagg.

Status
Not open for further replies.