• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

April Wallaby 30 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe Pulver sees it differently to O'Neill, and is making a statement? I would like to see Smith play, though.

I can understand that, but the point is the systems need to be strong and transparent. Regardless of if its Pulver or JON in the seat the systems should be robust enough that the leader (or coach) of the organisation cannot compromise the integrity of that organisation. This hasn't happened and we have this situation.

I still always come back to thinking the whole player contracting process in Australia with the ARU top up mean that those on top contracts will always be selected unless broken (or in TPN's case totally broken) regardless of form and fit for purpose. The situation with QC (Quade Cooper) is such that even here we question this thought with the fact that QC (Quade Cooper) would not have been given any top up by the ARU but for an imminent revolt by the Qlder's. Some may well think this a conspiracy theory, but it is more an economics theory, the ARU has spent its budget and then some on a group of players and cannot afford to pay more for uncontracted/un-topped up players. I do not expect to see any untopped up player in the Wallabies unless there are no other topped up options. In some ways that can be used to excuse the idiotic selections of Deans over the years if you like.

Loss of integrity is very hard to overcome, that is my point, and I have made it once or twice on this forum.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
On Deans, he's not in it for the long haul at this point, he needs to win. he has little to gain this year by being ultra conservative. Even a Lions win will be insufficient if our TRC is poor so I'll be fascinated to see how he plays the team. Hopefully the best of 2010 meets best of 2012, not worst of both!

I am not sure he will want to play a conservative game vs Wales. In fact I hope he doesn't. I can understand him wanting to inject a base of conservative forwards driven play into our game, it was woefully lacking in 10 and stretches of 11, I think that was the whole point of 2012.

I would not be surprised to see us play a much faster game this year built off our forwards working their ass off. And that requires a core of players from last year augmented by some new forwards who are used to working hard, surrounded by a back line that is capable of withering lateral speed as well as sharp linebreaking ability. Now I wonder who might have those kind of players?

Eternity

Stan Wickham (3)
So we have an Australian coach available with a 14 out of 18 record against New Zealand teams, but somehow the New Zealand coach who can't coach victories against Samoa and Scotland is the ARU's preferred option? The entire ARU board has to go. How can it become any more clear?

T

TOCC

So we have an Australian coach available with a 14 out of 18 record against New Zealand teams, but somehow the New Zealand coach who can't coach victories against Samoa and Scotland is the ARU's preferred option? The entire ARU board has to go. How can it become any more clear?

I'm no fan of Deans, but you could easily highlight the Reds losses to teams like the Force this season and the Bulls flogging last season as reasons not to pick link if we are going to focus on specific matches..

It's the overall records which speak volume, it's also the ability of the coach to get the best out of the resources offered.... Which IMO is where Robbie fails..

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Very interesting that the NZ commentators in the Chiefs game today discussed Cooper then a bit later on after Cooper made a particulalrly good play said something like (and I think it was Grant Nesbit) 'It's interesting how some coaches can get the best out of some players and some coaches cannot." To me it seems that even many of the NZ rugby community cannot fathom what Deans is doing with the Wallabies players.

T

TOCC

changes i would make:
Jesse Mogg (Brumbies),
Israel Folau (NSW Waratahs), Drew Mitchell
Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds),
Joe Tomane (Brumbies),
Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW Waratahs),
Ben Tapuai (Queensland Reds),
Pat McCabe (Brumbies),
Christian Leali’ifano (Brumbies),
Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs),, Quade Cooper
James O’Connor (Melbourne Rebels),
Nic White (Brumbies),
Will Genia (Queensland Reds),
Wycliff Palu (NSW Waratahs),
Fotu Auelua (Brumbies),
Michael Hooper (NSW Waratahs),
Liam Gill (Queensland Reds),
Dave Dennis (NSW Waratahs),, Hugh McMenimen
Scott Higginbotham (Melbourne Rebels),
Ben Mowen (Brumbies),
Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds),
James Horwill (Queensland Reds),
Kane Douglas (NSW Waratahs),
Sitaleki Timani (NSW Waratahs),, Hugh Pyle/Caderyn Neville
Dan Palmer (Brumbies),
James Slipper (Queensland Reds),
Ben Alexander (Brumbies),
Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs),
Scott Sio (Brumbies),
Stephen Moore (Brumbies),
Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs).
Also add in the third hooker: James Hanson

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I like, but I've made my own change on top of that.........

changes i would make:
Jesse Mogg (Brumbies),
Israel Folau (NSW Waratahs), Drew Mitchell
Joe Tomane (Brumbies),
Pat McCabe (Brumbies),
Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs),, Quade Cooper
Nic White (Brumbies),
Wycliff Palu (NSW Waratahs),
Fotu Auelua (Brumbies),
Dave Dennis (NSW Waratahs),, Hugh McMenimen
Ben Mowen (Brumbies),
Sitaleki Timani (NSW Waratahs),, Hugh Pyle/Caderyn Neville George Smith
Dan Palmer (Brumbies),
James Slipper (Queensland Reds),
Scott Sio (Brumbies),
Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs).
Also add in the third hooker: James Hanson

With MMM in there there's plenty of lock/6's.........

I would also consider crossing out another name for Mafi's......... maybe.........

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I would also suggest that either of Shatz or Gill should be in there on form over Palu. Regardless of the hyperbole surrounding him the stats and my own subjective viewing of the game just do not support the ideas that he is anywhere near as good as he was say 3 years ago. The argument that he is needed as the go to ball runner for the tight hit ups just doesn't wash when Aelua is there with better stats and from subjective viewing works harder with and without the ball. I also suggest that Mowen is better in all aspects of the game than Palu with the exception of the occassional massive dominant tackle from Palu, but they have become a rarity.

But as I said, consider the top up situation for Shatz and Gill.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I would also suggest that either of Shatz or Gill should be in there on form over Palu. Regardless of the hyperbole surrounding him the stats and my own subjective viewing of the game just do not support the ideas that he is anywhere near as good as he was say 3 years ago. The argument that he is needed as the go to ball runner for the tight hit ups just doesn't wash when Aelua is there with better stats and from subjective viewing works harder with and without the ball. I also suggest that Mowen is better in all aspects of the game than Palu with the exception of the occassional massive dominant tackle from Palu, but they have become a rarity.

But as I said, consider the top up situation for Shatz and Gill.
Gill, yes. Schatz - not yet. But give him time. Mowen is ahead in the order from Schatz, and as you say, he is doing most things well.
Palu at his best would be a no-brainer, but we have to see that first.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Who of the "fringe internationals" you name would be holding our Fainga'a? McCabe? I would say that Ant is just as fringe and personally would prefer to see him there over McCabe. Who is holding out Mitchell? Timani? Unlikely. So after Timani played fairly well last year, what lock is replacing him? Luke Jones? I can see why Deans would go with the known quantity.

Seems to me like two pretty marginal players to take issue with.

Personally, I'd have Mitchell in there, and probably Ant over McCabe (same in attack, better defensive organizer). But I don't see why anyone would have their knickers in a knot over some pretty fringe and fairly defensible selections.

McCabe can't even make the starting side of his province. It is embarrassing he is then an automatic selection for the wallabies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
So we have a squad with the following options for 10:

Player 1 - hasn't played all year, unlikely to play 10 for his state when he comes back, most recently more successful at 15 for the wallabies albeit with a complete lack of a counterattacking game

Player 2 - played all year but one game at 12, game played at 10 was lost to the second worst team in the comp, would be a wallaby debutant

Player 3 - has played all year at 15 for his state, played previously at 10 for wallabies in Europe but mostly found success on the wing, club won't pick him at 10 despite the regular 10 being out and a rookie playing in that position

Does any of this make any sense to anyone? I can't believe the stupidity. We must be a laughing stock in NZ - imagine if they went to these lengths to select out of form, injured or players out of position!?

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Does any of this make any sense to anyone? I can't believe the stupidity. We must be a laughing stock in NZ - imagine if they went to these lengths to select out of form, injured or players out of position!?

We are not laughing at it, but we are still dumbfounded by it.
Can't imagine someone like Gear or Savea moving to fly half.
The general consensus of my colleagues is that we were hoping that Quade would be back.

In all honesty Cooper is the biggest liability you have. His defensive liabilities and his brain farts far outwiegh the benefits. Especially now when the team is less likely to play an attacking game and be more conservative.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

What, you think NZ are laughing at us for NOT picking Quade Cooper?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
What, you think NZ are laughing at us for NOT picking Quade Cooper?

I don't think I mentioned cooper once in my post.

If Robbie picks Barnes, Lilo or JOC (James O'Connor) at ten, then either he is not correct in assessing their suitability in that position or their respective super coaches are.

Which do you think he'll go for and who do you think has the player out of position?

I personally think that Lilo is the only one with the potential to be a good international 10, but he would be a debutant vs the BIL. May as well have Foley or To'omua as options if we are willing to pick a debutant.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Ps the point of the post was that we are likely to pick a 10 that is playing out of position.

Yes but the implied assertion (as I read it anyway) was that Cooper is the rightful 10.

Either way it's a messy situation. I am just as unhappy about it as you are. I would pick Quade but am not so sure that he is the answer as some here- his record when the heat is on in gold is at best patchy.

KB (Kurtley Beale), Barnes and JOC (James O'Connor) I don't think would be terrible- all are good players who have proved themselves at one point or another. Let's not paint this as a massive crisis.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
changes i would make:

Jesse Mogg (Brumbies),
Israel Folau (NSW Waratahs),
Joe Tomane (Brumbies),
Pat McCabe (Brumbies), Quade Cooper (Need a first-choice flyhalf)
Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs)
Nic White (Brumbies),
Wycliff Palu (NSW Waratahs), Drew Mitchell (Forth winger would be nice, especially since he should be starting)
Fotu Auelua (Brumbies),
Dave Dennis (NSW Waratahs),, Ed Quirk (Probably the best Aussie 6 atm)
Ben Mowen (Brumbies),
Sitaleki Timani (NSW Waratahs),, Hugh McMeniman (Better lock, just as physical)
Dan Palmer (Brumbies),
James Slipper (Queensland Reds), Mitch Inman (A second 13 is essential)
Scott Sio (Brumbies), Paddy Ryan (2nd THP > 3rd LHP)
Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs). James Hanson (Better hooker)

Status
Not open for further replies.