• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Argentina v New Zealand, Sat 27th Sept 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I strayed onto that track just prior to Wellington & found myself in @PaarlBok's crosshairs so all I'll say is that you, as a South African, might well think that but I, as a mere kiwi, couldn't possibly comment..

As a general rule, though, it's pretty clear that in the pro era altitude doesn't have the shock value it once did as it's no longer a once or twice in a career thing, but wet weather is usually still every bit the leveller it ever was.
Hehe, we'll leave at at that until after this week's games.

For now I hope the Argies play to their potential. They really are a quality side, they just require a slight bit more depth and one or two "best in the world" players and they'll be in the running in most years.

NZ have several best in the world players at present. Carter (can be disputed), Read, Retallick (probably), Conrad Smith, halfback, Savea, Ben Smith...

SA has Bismarck and Matfield at a push depending how much you value pure lineout supremacy.

Australia? They could vouch for #15 but not there yet I think.

Argentina... well they are some way off but that will change as time passes I believe.

If Argentina can play like we know they can then the All Blacks will have a real workout.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
NZ have several best in the world players at present. Carter (can be disputed), Read, Retallick (probably), Conrad Smith, halfback, Savea, Ben Smith.

SA has Bismarck and Matfield at a push depending how much you value pure lineout supremacy.

Australia? They could vouch for #15 but not there yet I think.

Argentina. well they are some way off but that will change as time passes I believe.

No Hooper or McCaw listed there, who do you give the 7 to?

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
No Hooper or McCaw listed there, who do you give the 7 to?
A year or 2 ago McCaw without a doubt. He has not had that many games of late so it's hard to gauge how good he really is. I don't think he is top form at the moment.

Hooper is possibly the best fetcher in the world, but I feel he is not that rounded. He's quick around the park but when I hear his name I think "threat" and not "oh fuck, not this guy again". I sort of get the latter feeling when Folau is on the pitch but there are a number of great 15s at the moment so I'm undecided there. Folau can improve his kicking still and I'm sure he will.

Funnily enough I get a similar feeling with Beale on the pitch. He has proven a match winner in Bloemfontein in the past. Sleek runner that bugger.

To be honest I don't know. 7 here in SA is a different role so he'd have to be compared to F. Louw from our side.

Then there are European folks who I don't know that much about.

If I had to pick a team I'd probably pick McCaw on reputation. Any person with 100 test wins under his belt is worth it even if playing for the best team in the world. The sheer influence his presence must have on a team is immeasurable. Let's not forget he is humble and turned down being knighted. Could very well have been talking about Sir Richie McCaw.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Rumour going round that AFL Coach "Lethal" Lee Matthews used to direct the Brisbane Lions Players not to have unprotected sex in January each season so that there would be no interruptions to any finals series game preparations in September.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What is the history for Nathan Harris? Haven't heard much of him previously. Obviously the Lords of Darkness rate him but where does he play Super and ITM Cup Rugby?

I see that Southland Stags have recalled Gimli Hore out of retirement for their ITM Cup Campaign. Is the #2 jumper cursed in NZ as well as here?

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
What is the history for Nathan Harris? Haven't heard much of him previously. Obviously the Lords of Darkness rate him but where does he play Super and ITM Cup Rugby?

I see that Southland Stags have recalled Gimli Hore out of retirement for their ITM Cup Campaign. Is the #2 jumper cursed in NZ as well as here?

Plays for Bay of Plenty in the ITM Cup. Played for the NZ u20s a couple of years back.

Made his Super rugby debut this year for the Chiefs. His strengths from my armchair at least is that he's a mobile rake in the mould of Coles.

It's a massive rise no doubt about it, and a huge risk IMO. But below Coles and Kev there is a cluster of young props where no one has really put their hand up to say I am the man.

There have been 5 different props in that group who have been put through the AB environment this year, so this is definitely a "hope and see" selection.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
ARGENTINA: Joaqun Tuculet, Juan Imhoff, Marcelo Bosch, Juan Martn Hernandez, Manuel Montero, Nicolas Sanchez, Tomas Cubelli, Leonardo Senatore, Juan Martn Fernandez Lobbe, Benjamn Macome, Tomas Lavanini, Mariano Galarza, Ramiro Herrera, Agustn Creevy (c), Marcos Ayerza. Reserves: Matas Cortese, Lucas Noguera Paz, Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro, Matas Alemanno, Rodrigo Baez, Martn Landajo, Santiago Gonzalez Iglesias, Horacio Agulla

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/10546627/Argentina-make-three-changes-for-ABs-match

I kinda agree with @qwerty51 that Kev really should be retired or in pre-retirement aka Japan/Europe, but also with @ACT in that whereas his lineout throwing is as poor as it's ever been his scrum & general game is still up to scratch.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Kev's been a great player in his day and best of luck to him if he's still getting picked. But I'll be surprised if that dodgy calf of his doesn't pop before half time.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Another milestone for the GOAT:

www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_9488179,00.html

Astonishing that (a) it took McCaw 13 years v Meads' 14 (how many guys these days even play for that long? Not many, if any, how many dudes you know got da skills to..... oops, got a bit sidetracked there, my bad) but (b) GOAT's tally is 132 Tests & 1 "other" v Meads' 55 Tests & 78 "other".

Lest we forget:
image.jpg

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Awesome I have the Argentina feed. Expecting commentators to shout GOOOOOOAAAAAALLLLLLLL !!!!! a lot

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Argies have found a new Pavarotti clone to sing the Anthems.

I love seeing a band on the oval for anthems instead of some pre-recorded soundtrack.

Good crowd there.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The Argies have found a new Pavarotti clone to sing the Anthems.

I love seeing a band on the oval for anthems instead of some pre-recorded soundtrack.

Good crowd there.

It's also great to see real singers rather than the latest winner of X-Factor's Got Talent on Ice or w/e generic TV reality crap Simon Cowell pulls out of his ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.