• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Argentina v New Zealand, Sat 27th Sept 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Here's what the IRB says about the corner flags.

So looking at that, hitting the flag wouldn't put the ball in-goal as it's not considered part of the in-goal area.

Yep............. also:

22.12 Ball or player touching a flag or flag (corner) post
If the ball or a player carrying the ball touches a flag or a flag (corner) post at the intersection of the touch-in-goal lines and the goal lines or at the intersection of the touch-in-goal lines and the dead ball lines without otherwise being in touch or touch-in-goal the ball is not out of play unless it is first grounded against a flag post.

If the ball had've gone back into the field of play after hitting the corner post then it would've been play on...............

If the ball bounces in the field of play, hits the corner post and goes out - 5m.

If it had been a general kick in play and it hit the flag on the full I believe it's then a lineout from where the ball was kicked............

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Thems the rules.... corner flag is just like a goalpost.

The fact it touched the corner flag and kept going so that it touched something beyond the touch line is only relevant to proof of where it crossed the touchline.
I think you have confused the position with the law that applies when the ball stops moving and is touching the corner flag:
Law 22.12:
"If the ball or a player carrying the ball touches a flag or a flag (corner) post at the intersection of the touch-in-goal lines and the goal lines or at the intersection of the touch-in-goal lines and the dead ball lines without otherwise being in touch or touch-in-goal the ball is not out of play unless it is first grounded against a flag post."
The critical part is "without otherwise being in touch" - in the case it was otherwise in touch because it touched something beyond the touchline.
So the issue is where did it cross the line and the answer to that is over the junction of try line and touchline.
The try line is not in the field of play.
QED.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Was A. Smith offside when he picked that ball up? Or had no offside line been formed yet as there was no ruck?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Rugby looks so simple when you keep the ball in hand.
Classic All Black Try's which are a pleasure to watch.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
McCheat gets pinged there for kicking ball in an offside position at a ruck...3 pts to Argies

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Joubers penalises Black [#6 Kaino] (but does not mention a number) for an earlier breakdown infringement, about 32 minutes on the game clock.

"It's not you" he says to Sir Richie GOAT as if the penalty against Black 7 is the default setting.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
what the fuck was that feed by argie into the scrum. straight into he 2nd row in front of the ref.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'd like to see straight feed reffed closely again so that the scrum law changes really do create a contest. I realise it's not possible to have a straight feed down the middle due to safety concerns but I'd be more than happy to see a straight feed with the 9 standing a step or so closer to his own front row as opposed to a crooked feed into the 2nd from from the centre of the scrum.

I want to see hookers having to hook the ball again and the opposition trying to take advantage and try to shove them off the ball.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS, this is the last time I'll say it:

The ball bounced in play, hit the corner flag and went out - 5m lineout.

That's the correct ruling, as demonstrated by Joubert.

It would only have been a 22m dropout if the ball had've bounced back into the in goal off the flag and was grounded/rolled out in goal.

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/archive/index.php/t-12254.html?s=303083a80c52e398f39308f1ab98fcee

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?17026-kick-hits-corner-flag

Neither establishes your view.
The fact you think they do means this is pointless because you do not seem to comprehend that ball did not bounce back into the filed of play IT WENT OUT.
The question is not whether it was out when it hit the flag the question is where did it go out, FFS.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Neither establishes your view.
The fact you think they do means this is pointless because you do not seem to comprehend that ball did not bounce back into the filed of play IT WENT OUT.
The question is not whether it was out when it hit the flag the question is where did it go out, FFS.

Yeah......... it went out - 5m lineout.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We both know why you don't want to answer the question, don't we.

o_O

IS, I've already explained the ruling to you and provided links to a ref's forum where it's also been discussed.

The ball didn't go dead in the in goal area. It landed in the field of play, hit the corner post and then landed out over the touch line, therefore, as Joubert officiated, it's a 5m lineout to the All Blacks as it was a penalty kick.

If the ball had've landed BACK inside the in goal area after hitting the corner post, and was grounded/touched in goal, then it would've been a 22m dropout.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Slim, IS et al - good game of rugby being played, if you can tear yourselves away from the rulebook ;)

its a law book
o_O

IS, I've already explained the ruling to you and provided links to a ref's forum where it's also been discussed.

The ball didn't go dead in the in goal area. It landed in the field of play, hit the corner post and then landed out over the touch line, therefore, as Joubert officiated, it's a 5m lineout to the All Blacks as it was a penalty kick.

If the ball had've landed BACK inside the in goal area after hitting the corner post, and was grounded/touched in goal, then it would've been a 22m dropout.
the threads contain both of our arguments.
Just tell me where it crossed the touch line, in your world.

Status
Not open for further replies.