• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Argentina

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Losing Leguizamon makes their backrow look alot weaker.

1- Roncero
2- Creevy
3- Figallo
4- Carrizza
5- Albacete
6- Galindo
7- Senatore/Leonardi
8- Fernandez-Lobbe
9- Vergallo
10- Hernandez
11- Imhoff
12- Fernandez
13- Bosch
14- Amorosino
15- Agulla

Bench: Guinazu, Orlandi, Vallejos, Leonardi/Senatore, Landajo, Rodriguez, Bustos-Moyano

Sonething like that.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
I agree with your team except with Roncero who is retiring so Ayerza will probably start.
Leguizamon is only injured for the first game but he's making too much faults...

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I agree with your team except with Roncero who is retiring so Ayerza will probably start.
Leguizamon is only injured for the first game but he's making too much faults.
I noticed in the select handful of Stade Francais games I saw him play, he tried to overplay his hand too much. He looked like he was trying to mimick Sergio Parrisse by being a ball playing 8 (ie: lots of offloads, kicks ect). He is a pretty damaging runner when in form, good turn of speed, he doesn't need to play that style of 8, because there really aren't many 8's in the world who can play that style.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
I noticed in the select handful of Stade Francais games I saw him play, he tried to overplay his hand too much. He looked like he was trying to mimick Sergio Parrisse by being a ball playing 8 (ie: lots of offloads, kicks ect). He is a pretty damaging runner when in form, good turn of speed, he doesn't need to play that style of 8, because there really aren't many 8's in the world who can play that style.

Yes of course he is a better player than the rest of the backrow (except Fernandez Lobbe). But he cost many points to his teams because of his faults. A bit like Bismarck du Plessis.

Manuel

Herbert Moran (7)
I agree that De la Vega would be an interesting choice. He would be the first Argentine fetcher since Phelan himself. However, it's not really in the Argentina style to play such type of player. They organize their backrow à la française, with three more balanced players, and left and right flanker instead of openside/blindside.
Anyway, De la Vega won't be travelling to South Africa, so not an option for the first game. They're taking JMFL, Farías, Galindo, Senatore and Leonardi.

edit: as I didn't know much of Leonardi, I did some research and found this

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just noticed in above post that using 3 full stops at end of the sentence was allowed in, whilst I am not (grr . . . )

Mods????

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Pichot and Corleto retired, but I'm certain the majority of that team continued on...

And Manuel Contemponi. You're talking a country with depth issues in the backline losing a captain and a key try scorer.

Admittedly they've just lost some important front rowers but nobody would accuse them of lacking depth up front. They're in good shape.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Argentina won their final warm-up, although the loss of Creevy is a big blow.

Argentina win 31-17 over Stade Français in Santa Fé

The final match before Argentina makes its debut in The Rugby Championship has been and gone. The South Americans completed its two match warm-up series with Stade Français with a satisfactory 31-17 victory at the Estadio Brigadier General Estanislao López in Santa Fé. The three tries to two win was clean with Argentina able to put into practice what it had been training for.

It was not a perfect performance though and Argentina won without hooker Agustín Creevy who left the field in just the second minute of play after fracturing a rib in a two man crunch tackle. The Montpellier forward will now no longer be able to play in Argentina´ debut in The Rugby Championship and will in fact miss the first two matches. He was replaced by Eusebio Guiñazú who can play at both prop and hooker and, interestingly, has previously played rugby in South Africa and may prove useful in interpreting the South African lineout calls which tend to be made in afrikaans. Guiñazú is now all but assured of starting at hooker against South Africa with Santiago Phelan likely to draft in Bruno Postiglioni as the replacement hooker.

The team that started the match against Stade Français was being closely analyzed by the selectors with the same XV being favored to start in Cape Town next Saturday. They all needed to deliver impressive performances and a number of players indeed did impress. The three try scorers were amongst the best Pumas players. The first try was scored by Biarritz secondrower Manuel Carizza who went over from a pick-and-go on the Stade Français try line. He stood talk as a player hungry for The Rugby Championship. He combined well with Patricio Albacete in what could potentially be the best secondrow combination in the Southern Hemisphere.

Carriza was not the first try scorer of the game however. Rather the first try went to the visitors with Hugo Bonneval finishing off a break that started from a turnover on the Stade Français 22. Having won the ball Stade Français fed Felipe Contepomi for what would be a regulation kick into touch but he saw that the Pumas defense had not yet formed properly and ran forward to where he found tight forwards and was able to put in a deft backward pass to create the try. Scrumhalf Jêrome Fillol landed the conversion with made it 7-6. Juan Martín Hernández had a good day with the boot and had started the scoring with two early penalties in the 8th and 13th minutes. He also converted Carizza´ try which made the scores 14-7 at the interval.

The Parisians started the second half strongly with Samoan international Paul Williams scoring a try in the 55th minute which had it 17-14 after Fillol had landed a penalty two minutes earlier. But Argentina scored all the remaining points of the match with Horacio Agulla scoring a try in the 69th minute. The future Bath winger went over in the left corner after recieving a well timed pass from Marcelo Bosch. Both players had good performances this evening and are certain to start at Newlands. Agulla was joined in the back-three by Lucas González Amorosino and Gonzalo Camacho. The latter had a fantastic first half to continue the problem that Argentina currently have - finding a place for Agulla, Camacho and Imhoff in the starting XV. Juan Imhoff scored an individual try from nothing as he continues to enhance his reputation from being capable of shaking off tacklers similar to that of Shane Williams. His try in the 76th minute like Agulla´ was converted by Hernández and this secured an Argentine win.

Martín Rodríguez Gurruchaga is likely to be replacement by Santiago Fernández at inside centre and Nicolás Vergallo could potentially lose out to Martín Landajo who performed well from the bench. The chances of this are not so strong but are not impossible. The backrow is the other area that is yet to be confirmed. Juan Leguizamón will not feature in Cape Town which means that one of Àlvaro Galindo, Tomás Leonardí and Leonardo Senatore will be joining Julio Farías Cabello and Juan Fernández Lobbe in the backrow.

The South Americans depart for Cape Town on Sunday with the history making match to be played at midday Argentine time on Saturday August 18. Seven days latter Argentina will host the Springboks at the Estadio Malvinas Argentinas in Mendoza with Juan Legizamón expected to return.

http://rugbyworldcup-argentina2023.blogspot.com.au/

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Albacete is one of the best, yes, but I wouldn't say Carrizza is. Bekker, Etzebeth, Sharpe and even Whitelock would be above him.

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
Imhoff, Agulla, Amorosino and Camacho into 3 spots. Bit of a headache for Phelan.

Bosch has played many a fine game at 13, but there has been speculation that Phelan wants to try the bigger Agulla at 13.

It would solve his four into 3 dilemma, but create another selection headache if Phelan wants Bosch on the field somewhere.